• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Pizza is not my favourite,  I only ha e them when I can't think of anything else, I don't mind my home made pizza.  The last time we had a delivery of Pizza was for my grandson's  18th Birthday  and they were from Papa John's.

My grandson is a big fan of pizza. I didn't like Papa John's at all.. my wife and I had our 53rd wedding anniversary in Maech.

• Members
5 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

I had to move a piano out of the church last night so I just ended up ordering Pizza. Of course, we in Connecticut are known for our pizza. 

I've never had a "Connecticut style" pizza. What is it like? I've had New York, and even New Jersey Pizza, and having grown up in the Peoria, IL area, I  have had Chicago style pizza. What is it like? 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I know all about having to get a "quick bite to eat" from somewhere other than home. My wife and I will be celebrating out 37th wedding anniversary on May 4th, and I'll be 59 on the 3rd of May. I started learning how to cook when I was four years old. My maternal grandfather made me start with bacon and eggs. From there I went on to learn how to make about everything. I've cooked in restaurants as has my wife, and we both are very good cooks! My wife makes spectacular biscuits and sausage gravy and many other breakfast items, as well as many great things for dinner when she's home to cook. Being on the "disabled" list, I'm the one who cooks around here for the most part. My 1/2 brothers from my mother's second marriage also know how to cook very well. I love to cook. It's a form of therapy for me. I hope your wife learns how to cook, and cook well. Start her out on a Betty Crocker cookbook...the OLD VERSION. It's one of the best we've found. We also use Paula Dean's cookbook at times. Lots of helpful shortcuts and hints. Blessings.

Both my wife and I are good cooks; I was single for 10 years, so cooked a lot for just me, as well as for the occasional date. Currently my wife is in a fairly long-term slow recovery from a long time illness that keeps her from doing much, though she did make some tasty bread last night, a couple small loaves, but oxygen issues keep her from doing as much as she would like. So I do most of the cooking, and have recently gotten into smoking and barbequeing, something I've never been much on, but teaching myself. I have a big brisket waiting an all-day smoking!

I cooked in restaurants as well, though to be honest, I never liked it.

6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I know all about having to get a "quick bite to eat" from somewhere other than home. My wife and I will be celebrating out 37th wedding anniversary on May 4th, and I'll be 59 on the 3rd of May. I started learning how to cook when I was four years old. My maternal grandfather made me start with bacon and eggs. From there I went on to learn how to make about everything. I've cooked in restaurants as has my wife, and we both are very good cooks! My wife makes spectacular biscuits and sausage gravy and many other breakfast items, as well as many great things for dinner when she's home to cook. Being on the "disabled" list, I'm the one who cooks around here for the most part. My 1/2 brothers from my mother's second marriage also know how to cook very well. I love to cook. It's a form of therapy for me. I hope your wife learns how to cook, and cook well. Start her out on a Betty Crocker cookbook...the OLD VERSION. It's one of the best we've found. We also use Paula Dean's cookbook at times. Lots of helpful shortcuts and hints. Blessings.

Both my wife and I are good cooks; I was single for 10 years, so cooked a lot for just me, as well as for the occasional date. Currently my wife is in a fairly long-term slow recovery from a long time illness that keeps her from doing much, though she did make some tasty bread last night, a couple small loaves, but oxygen issues keep her from doing as much as she would like. So I do most of the cooking, and have recently gotten into smoking and barbequeing, something I've never been much on, but teaching myself. I have a big brisket waiting an all-day smoking!

I cooked in restaurants as well, though to be honest, I never liked it. 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I've never had a "Connecticut style" pizza. What is it like? I've had New York, and even New Jersey Pizza, and having grown up in the Peoria, IL area, I  have had Chicago style pizza. What is it like? 

It is a NY style pizza. New Haven Ct is where it is at. ? Us New Englanders will never cave in to believe that NJ is the pizza capital

• Administrators
On 4/21/2021 at 10:04 AM, PastorMatt said:

It is a NY style pizza. New Haven Ct is where it is at. ? Us New Englanders will never cave in to believe that NJ is the pizza capital

Our men had their quarterly meeting Wednesday evening before church (they discuss things before we have our quarterly business meeting). They usually eat supper while having their meeting. So I ordered Chicago Style stuffed pizza from Papa Murphy's. They enjoyed it greatly. Personally, I'm not fond of NY style pizza, but I'm not fond of Chicago style either. LOL

• Members
10 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

Ewwww, franchise pizza's lol

throw up i feel sick GIF by The Detour

We're all about the mom and pop places here. 

I just looked it up, we have over 15 pizza restaurants within a mile of my house. All mom and pop restaurants

Good! Mom and Pop businesses NEED to be kept in business! I support many of these types of businesses, especially since my parents were self-employed. I was self-employed when I was younger, and my wife and I did have some "side-businesses" when we were employed by someone else, because one never knows whom you can trust. We worked for Warnaco/Warner's Cutting Center here in the Murfreesboro, TN area for five years. I went disabled just two days before they announced they were closing, and just two months before my wife took a job at Dell in Nashville. Of course, Dell moved out of Nashville in the production of computers, but got jobs for their employees in either the call centers or logistics centers that they were using. My wife's been there for a total of 22 years now, including Dell. But, Dell really destroyed her 401K when they bought back all their stock and became private again. When we worked for Warners, they took the stock from up over $44 a share down to 40 cents a share and then filed for bankruptcy, leaving us in the lurch on retirement savings. When we lived in Pekin, IL and Caterpillar went on strike, I was moved from a full-time job down to part time so that the strikers could come in and get jobs. I considered becoming a scab and then going out on strike just so I would get $300 a week strike pay, which was more than I was making working for Menards and filling in for pastors who were needing someone to preach for a few weeks. That's how we ended up here in Tennessee...there were jobs here then. Now they're starting to flee to other countries. But, the Mom and Pop businesses here are starting to flourish because of it! We support the family owned restaurants over the chain owned, and then we shop local for groceries, even going to a town about 20 miles from here to help the independent business owner. We also buy from farms around here. Right onw we're looking for a local farmer to sell us a cow for slaughter! It's more expensive, but well worth it! 

Tonight we're having a hamburger patty, baked in the oven and pork and beans. It's Friday, and that's what my bride said she wanted. So...I'm making it! ? We'll have fig newtons for dessert later on! Now I just have to figure out what to cook tomorrow night! She's got to work tomorrow as well...UGH! Weekends working and the End of Quarter for business. But, thankful has a job! Might have salmon or tuna patties tomorrow night! 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

Ewwww, franchise pizza's lol

throw up i feel sick GIF by The Detour

We're all about the mom and pop places here. 

I just looked it up, we have over 15 pizza restaurants within a mile of my house. All mom and pop restaurants

If there were decent mom and pop pizza places here, we'd patronize them. But there aren't. At least Papa Murphy's is fresh. heehee

Because of the horrible response to covid by our governor, so many businesses took a hit. We are not rich by any means, but are glad when we can support them...even if they are franchise. ?

• Members
13 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Once again my dinner was simple; Moose tenderloin steak, pan fried and coleslaw with a home made soup. My soups are ingredient intensive and very filling.

I think I'd love to try that. I've only had moose once in my life, and that was when I lived in MN. I was surprised to see a moose walking the streets of Montevideo, MN when I was making deliveries for Carl's Bakery out of Granite Falls, MN. Most of the time they don't come that far South. I loved the moose steak I had, and the moose stew as well (even though I ate both the same day, I guess that technically would count as having moose 2x!) and wouldn't mind having more. But, we don't get moose here in Tennessee! We've got plenty of deer, though. As many as my wife has hit with cars of ours and killed, I should have a freezer full, but, we donated what we got to the homeless shelters and lower income individuals.

11 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

If there were decent mom and pop pizza places here, we'd patronize them. But there aren't. At least Papa Murphy's is fresh. heehee

Because of the horrible response to covid by our governor, so many businesses took a hit. We are not rich by any means, but are glad when we can support them...even if they are franchise. ?

Yes, I will support a "franchise" as well. But, if I know that it's a corporate store, we avoid it. One of my cousins in Indianapolis took a huge hit this past year because of the restrictions, and ended up losing three of his five restaurants. I'm surprised he hasn't closed up the other two, but last I heard, they were holding their own thanks to people who wanted to support local businesses. 

• Members

My daughter gave me some of her leftover curry for lunch, chicken tikka masala. saag aloo and rice.  Not sure what we will have for supper.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
10 minutes ago, Invicta said:

My daughter gave me some of her leftover curry for lunch, chicken tikka masala. saag aloo and rice.  Not sure what we will have for supper.

Sounds great! I know for us, tonight it's going to be an elbow macaroni casserole that my wife made last night for supper. There's enough for tonight and possibly tomorrow night. We may have to go back to eating more casserole type dishes with the cost of groceries increasing so drastically in our area. It's getting hard to find some products in the stores these days which worries my wife. Thankfully we do have some food in reserve in case it becomes "tight" in this country again. Hope you, over in England aren't experiencing the same stuff we are. ? I don't mind casseroles. Being from a large family, I don't mind them so much. 

• Members
On 4/26/2021 at 6:31 PM, BrotherTony said:

Sounds great! I know for us, tonight it's going to be an elbow macaroni casserole that my wife made last night for supper. There's enough for tonight and possibly tomorrow night. We may have to go back to eating more casserole type dishes with the cost of groceries increasing so drastically in our area. It's getting hard to find some products in the stores these days which worries my wife. Thankfully we do have some food in reserve in case it becomes "tight" in this country again. Hope you, over in England aren't experiencing the same stuff we are. ? I don't mind casseroles. Being from a large family, I don't mind them so much. 

Here in England meat is expensive, but most vegetables are reasonable. There is much competition in the stores so it keeps the prices down.  One of our TV chefs, Jamie Oliver, visited a farm and they said they had to discard about half their crop because they didn't meet supermarket rules carrots and parsnips were either too big or too small or not strait enough.  Jamie persuaded one supermarket chain to allow him to expetiment by having a section for "wonky produce" which he sold cheaper.  It was a hit and a number of stores do wonky vegetables at a cheaper price.  One labels them as "perfectly imperfect"

I had scampi and chips for lunch and ham omelet and asparagus for supper.

Now we are older we don't eat so much so that makes our pensions go further.

Invicta (David)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

Here in England meat is expensive, but most vegetables are reasonable. There is much competition in the stores so it keeps the prices down.  One of our TV chefs, Jamie Oliver, visited a farm and they said they had to discard about half their crop because they didn't meet supermarket rules carrots and parsnips were either too big or too small or not strait enough.  Jamie persuaded one supermarket chain to allow him to expetiment by having a section for "wonky produce" which he sold cheaper.  It was a hit and a number of stores do wonky vegetables at a cheaper price.  One labels them as "perfectly imperfect"

I had scampi and chips for lunch and ham omelet and asparagus for supper.

Now we are older we don't eat so much so that makes our pensions go further.

Invicta (David)

I remember being pleasantly surprised in London to find the cost of groceries was not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. Guess that means that our groceries are already pretty expensive. 
I was surprised by seeing eggs on shelves (not refrigerated), and by peanut butter being in the international foods section. ?