• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
On 5/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, HappyChristian said:

Hamburgers, chips (crisps to you, Invicta  ?), baked beans

Yes HC we call them crisps.  I believe they were originally called Game Chips,   Although there is a well known brand here called Kettle Chips, which we use with dips and salsa.

This evening I had ham, vegetable gratin and asparagus.

• Administrators

@Invicta, that question mark was supposed to be a smiley face. LOL - I don't know how it changed to a question mark. The wonders of technology.  Interesting that they used to be called Game Chips. Kettle Chips are here in the states, too. But they are likely different from what you get over there.

We will be having a prelude of my mom's spaghetti she is taking to our first-Sunday-of-the-month-potluck. She also made a cake and some apple dumplings, but we won't get any of that tonight. LOL  (but she DID make an apple pie to keep here, so I guess that's ok...and I'd like to insert a smiley, but don't want it turning to a question mark!).

• Moderators

Apparently in Britain they serve baked beans for breakfast - is that right, Invicta? Seems weird... over here they're a summer picnic favourite and served cold (preferably with potato salad). 

• Members
18 hours ago, Salyan said:

Apparently in Britain they serve baked beans for breakfast - is that right, Invicta? Seems weird... over here they're a summer picnic favourite and served cold (preferably with potato salad). 

I guess some people do.  We don't usually have breakfast.  Kay has a piece of hard cheese as it is supposed to be good for her  osteo perosis.  

On the ferry to France, they have Full English Breakfast,  This consists of Egg (fried or scrambled) bacon, fried bread, baked beans, mushrooms, tomato and hash browns (although I don't think they are English).  Finish off with a couple of slices of toast and  marmalade. served with tea or coffee.  Several times with our ticket we have had a voucher to get two breakfasts for the price of one.  We took the offer once but as we arrive in France in time for lunch we didn't take it again.

• Members
19 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Kettle Chips are here in the states, too. But they are likely different from what you get over there.

Kettle Chips

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kettle+chip&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=79920783719517&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6z0iz8uecx_e

My favourite used to be Mesquite and Salsa, but they don't that now.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Invicta said:

Same company. I've not had them much. Lays is my favorite brand.

@Salyan - you eat baked beans cold? My husband will eat leftovers cold, but mine have to be warm. I'm not fond of most baked beans so I make my own. No brown sugar in mine. I have had them for breakfast when we have some left over.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Same company. I've not had them much. Lays is my favorite brand.

@Salyan - you eat baked beans cold? My husband will eat leftovers cold, but mine have to be warm. I'm not fond of most baked beans so I make my own. No brown sugar in mine. I have had them for breakfast when we have some left over.

I am originally for the Boston area, actually a small town just outside of Boston. Boston is also known as, "bean town". Nothing can compare with original Boston baked beans. Cold beans? resoundingly "Yes!"  Cold leftover baked bean sandwiches were a staple as a kid. I am talking about homemade baked beans, not from a  can. Canned beans are nasty.

No brown sugar? That is a travesty!  :15_1_63:

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I am originally for the Boston area, actually a small town just outside of Boston. Boston is also known as, "bean town". Nothing can compare with original Boston baked beans. Cold beans? resoundingly "Yes!"  Cold leftover baked bean sandwiches were a staple as a kid. I am talking about homemade baked beans, not from a  can. Canned beans are nasty.

Heh - the beans have a natural sweetness to them, and adding brown sugar just makes them too sweet for me. I agree that baked beans from a can are gross, but my hubs does like the Bush beans brand. They seem to be closest to homemade when he just wants a quick baked bean.  We haven't gotten any of them for a number of years, though. Mom likes brown sugar in hers, so she'll make a batch of hers and I'll make mine. Hubs likes them both, so he's in bean heaven then. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Back in the days when my wife did the cooking she sometimes did "Boston Baked Beans".  I think she used to put muscovado sugar in them..  

• Administrators
10 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Heh - the beans have a natural sweetness to them, and adding brown sugar just makes them too sweet for me. I agree that baked beans from a can are gross, but my hubs does like the Bush beans brand. They seem to be closest to homemade when he just wants a quick baked bean.  We haven't gotten any of them for a number of years, though. Mom likes brown sugar in hers, so she'll make a batch of hers and I'll make mine. Hubs likes them both, so he's in bean heaven then. 

Randy may be in bean heaven, but I suspect that others around him will wish he was not.  :4_6_4:

Sorry Randy, I just couldn't resist.