• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Administrators
8 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Pickles are tasty. :1_grinning:

Pickles are nasty! I never liked them. It amazes me that restaurants cannot seem to build a sandwich without pickles. Every time I go for a hamburger I have to specify; NO PICKLES.   :4_2_109v:

And it doesn't work to try to just pick them off of your burger, once they are put on the burger they contaminate the whole thing. You just can't seem to ever get rid of the nasty taste.   :4_14_202:

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Pickles are nasty! I never liked them. It amazes me that restaurants cannot seem to build a sandwich without pickles. Every time I go for a hamburger I have to specify; NO PICKLES.   :4_2_109v:

And it doesn't work to try to just pick them off of your burger, once they are put on the burger they contaminate the whole thing. You just can't seem to ever get rid of the nasty taste.   :4_14_202:

No...sweet pickles are nasty! Whoever invented sweet pickles was an agent of satan...

• Members
17 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Happy belated birthday, @Invicta. I hope you had a great day.

We had a hankering for french fries tonight, so we had those with, of course, hamburgers. With...wait for it...PICKLES! :17_heart_eyes::1_grinning:

Thanks LuAnne.  I had a fairly restful day.  Did some cooking.  We didn't go out as Kay has had a really bad back since the Tuesday before last and can barely walk.  Dr said it was muscular and has given her some medication including painkillers,  The first one didn't do much so he prescribed a more powerful one.  That doesn't do much more as far as I can see.

French call hamburgers Steack Haché.  I once heard someone asked how he wanted his Steack Haché. He said "Bleu"  I told my chef friend who said you should not do that as the bacteria form on the outside of beef and when it is grated the bacteria are all through so should cooked thoroughly.  

Today I did Spring Vegetable Clafoutis ( I put the recipe on here recently)  I added grated goats cheese on top. and served with green salad.

• Administrators

I like "black and bleu" burgers, which are simply burgers that are blackened and then slathered with bleu cheese. Delicious! I'm sure it's not the same as what you've referenced, @Invicta.

I hope your wife's back rights up soon. I have back issues too, so I know the agony that can bring!

• Members

Bleu in France refers to steak, Blue in English.  The categories of steak are@

Bien fait,  Well done.

a Point  or moyen,    Medium

Saignant, bloody,    Rare  (Shown the pan each side)

Bleu,               Blue shown the pan a bit less than rare.

Tartare            Raw,  usually minced or ground steak.  I have never had it but seen it served with salad.

We have tatare sauce usually served with fish, but it seems that it was originally served with raw meat or fish.

Today I did steak served with roast potatoes, roast carrot, parsnip, celeriac, and ½ small onion I had left over from something with steamed green beans, sugarsnap peas, and tenderstem brocolli.  (only a small portion of each)

Yum yum, or as the French would say miam miam.  (I found that out recently from the Marmiton recipe web site)

• Administrators

Thanks for the breakdown, @Invicta. I would not like my steak bleu! I prefer bien fait!  Here in the states, we drop the e to form "tartar" sauce, but steak tartare still means raw (ugh!) and minced/ground.

I'll be mixing up a meat loaf in a few minutes. We'll have mashed potatoes and veggies with it, possibly salad.

On 3/22/2018 at 10:51 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

See, when mods eat pickles they forget to moderate. Meanwhile those that abhor pickles get the job done.  SPAM post deleted and user banned.        Pickles    :4_14_202:

Now, now...don't be a SOUR puss. =D

• Members
On 27/03/2018 at 8:47 PM, Musician4God1611 said:

I’ve been wanting to try making risotto, but I’ve never had it so I don’t know what it should taste like. Do you think you could post a recipe for it?

I will look out for one.  The one I used was not too good.  I used the cheapest long grain rice and it was not really suitable.  For the best risotto you need Italian Arborio rice,  If you  buy a packet it usually has a recipe on the back,  and it will probably be better than some chefs who think they know Italian.

I have just found a packet of Gallo Arborio rice in my cupboard and it does not have a recipe but does give a web site http://www.risogallo.co.uk/category/recipes/quick-recipes/  choose language and search rice and risotto, 

• Members
4 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

Thanks for the breakdown, @Invicta. I would not like my steak bleu! I prefer bien fait!  Here in the states, we drop the e to form "tartar" sauce, but steak tartare still means raw (ugh!) and minced/groundI'll be mixing up a meat loaf in a few minutes. We'll have mashed potatoes and veggies with it, possibly salad.

Now, now...don't be a SOUR puss. =D

I have recently bought a Kindle book  Slow Dough, Real Bread.  I am making a SOUR dough loaf tonight and in the morning.  It does a preferment overnight and finishes off in the morning.  I have tried SOUR dough before but it was not very successful as I forgot to add one of the flours until it was well into the proving and it didn't mix too well then, and my SOUR dough went mouldy soon after and it shouldn't do that.

• Administrators

How did your sourdough turn out? I like sourdough bread - as long as it's not too sour. My mom likes a particular brand that is really tasty.

I made meatloaf Wednesday night, so we had that then and leftovers last night. Tonight it will be something with ground beef, I just don't know what yet.