• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Moderators

My wife and the family we're staying with are teaching each other different things in the kitchen. They have taught her how to make gallo pinto, she taught true Southern fried chicken. She's learning how to make tortillas from scratch, Monday she will teach them to make biscuits from scratch.

This is a VERY Catholic family, please pray we have an open door for effective witness in spite of the language difficulty.

• Members

I had Italian style chicken today.  Served with Roast potatoes, carrots and butternut, and steamed Brussels Sprouts.

I did see a recipe for a complete Christmas dinner, Turkey and all the vegetables  deep fried, including the sprouts. I don't think I would like that.  

• Members
On 31/12/2017 at 5:02 AM, 4everHis said:

kTonight we had panko-parmesan crusted chicken, au gratin potatoes, baby leaf spinach sauteed with onions.

Have you ever had roasted Brussel Sprouts?  (that is the only way I can tolerate them) :)

I hadn't heard of Panko breadcrumbs before, but I came across them on a recipe site, only yesterday but it said they used own brand ones and they were just as good. I make my own breadcrumbs  I break bread into chunks then  bake them till they are golden then chop them in my Magimix, till they are crumbs and hey presto.  If you like you can try adding some seasoning when chopping.  I haven't tried it but a little fennel seeds may be nice,.  

The web site I where I saw them mentioned was a vegetarian site,  amuse-your-bouche.com.  That is a bit of Franglais. The French  term is "Amuse Bouche".  Bouche is French for mouth.  I suppose an equivalent English saying would be "Tickle your Tastebuds".  

I tried roast sprouts once didn't like them at all.  I always steam them, till they are just right, not overcooked.  A couple years ago a local ice cream shop made Brussels Sprouts ice cream.  I have not heard of it since, so i don't suppose it was a success.  

• Members

Today I did home made cheese and onion crisp bakes.  I was trying them for the vegetarians at our seniors lunch on Tuesday.  My wife said they tasted much better than shop bought frozen ones, but they didn't keep their shape after they were baked.   The recipe says brown them each side in a pan with a little oil, then bake them.  They looked OK before they were baked,  but collapsed in the oven.

They had quite a lot of mashed potato in them so I just served them with roast vegetables.

This is what they should look like.

Crisp bakes.jpg

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Today I did home made cheese and onion crisp bakes.  I was trying them for the vegetarians at our seniors lunch on Tuesday.  My wife said they tasted much better than shop bought frozen ones, but they didn't keep their shape after they were baked.   The recipe says brown them each side in a pan with a little oil, then bake them.  They looked OK before they were baked,  but collapsed in the oven.

They had quite a lot of mashed potato in them so I just served them with roast vegetables.

This is what they should look like.

Crisp bakes.jpg

Do you have a recipe?

• Moderators

Well, it's breakfast instead of supper but: gallo pinto, fried plantain, scrambled eggs with onion and pablanos, curds.

We're headed for San Ramon to investigate another area of a potential base for ministry and to visit our host's sister's coffee and dairy farm.

• Members
6 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

Well, it's breakfast instead of supper but: gallo pinto, fried plantain, scrambled eggs with onion and pablanos, curds.

We're headed for San Ramon to investigate another area of a potential base for ministry and to visit our host's sister's coffee and dairy farm.

That's not a  breakfast it is a feast.

• Members
21 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Do you have a recipe?

You will find it here.  http://www.amuse-your-bouche.com/?s=crisp+bakes

Maybe mine collapsed because I steamed the potatoes rather than boiled them, but I think I may add some oats next time to make it less moist.  Some potatoes seem to absorb more moisture than others.  We once did mashed potatoes at church and it came out very soft. Our chef friend says he always keeps some instant mash  to add  if it is too soft.

They also have a couple of bean bakes, which I intend to try.

I had sardines with salad and chips this evening.