• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
19 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

So did I! Although it was the American version. :1_grinning:

Mine was from our freezer, not so good as when we get it from the chippy.  It amazes me how the producers and supermarkets get away with selling 'Extra large portions' which are about ¼ the size of a regular portion in the Fish and Chip shop.  

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Mine was from our freezer, not so good as when we get it from the chippy.  It amazes me how the producers and supermarkets get away with selling 'Extra large portions' which are about ¼ the size of a regular portion in the Fish and Chip shop.  

We had our annual Christmas date - we go to dinner or lunch and then shop for whatever  presents we might still want to get. We went to a restaurant that is known for their "fish and chips"  (being here right on the ocean, seafood is a staple in just about every restaurant, and most restaurants around here have their own version of fish and chips). My grandparents began coming to this area to vacation and then moved here in the 1970s. We would come with them often. And that restaurant was one of our favorites. The fish is not as good as it was then, sadly, but the memories...

Tonight we'll have crock pot beef (steak, cooked like a roast).

• Members
On 14/12/2017 at 12:15 AM, HappyChristian said:

We had our annual Christmas date - we go to dinner or lunch and then shop for whatever  presents we might still want to get. We went to a restaurant that is known for their "fish and chips"  (being here right on the ocean, seafood is a staple in just about every restaurant, and most restaurants around here have their own version of fish and chips). My grandparents began coming to this area to vacation and then moved here in the 1970s. We would come with them often. And that restaurant was one of our favorites. The fish is not as good as it was then, sadly, but the memories...

Tonight we'll have crock pot beef (steak, cooked like a roast).

We live about 1 mile from the sea.  When we were children we used to wish we lived by the sea. When on outings we always looked to see who was first to see the sea.  Now we live near the sea, we rarely visit it.  We have a number of fish restaurants and those that are not usually have fish on the menu.  We have two fish markets in the harbour. One with a fish restaurant above it.  Our town is known for its oysters, and we have two oyster bars, one right on the  beach.

Makes me wonder why I got the frozen fish from the supermarket.  When we were children in the war we would get a portion of chips for 2d, about 2c, wrapped in the daily paper as there was a paper shortage during the war and soon after.  Now it costs us about £2 and they are not so good.  

Today I had lambs liver and bacon cooked in gravy, with roast potatoes, and parsnips with steamed carrot and sprouts.

• Administrators
On 12/16/2017 at 1:22 PM, Invicta said:

We live about 1 mile from the sea.  When we were children we used to wish we lived by the sea. When on outings we always looked to see who was first to see the sea.  Now we live near the sea, we rarely visit it.  We have a number of fish restaurants and those that are not usually have fish on the menu.  We have two fish markets in the harbour. One with a fish restaurant above it.  Our town is known for its oysters, and we have two oyster bars, one right on the  beach.

Makes me wonder why I got the frozen fish from the supermarket.  When we were children in the war we would get a portion of chips for 2d, about 2c, wrapped in the daily paper as there was a paper shortage during the war and soon after.  Now it costs us about £2 and they are not so good.  

Today I had lambs liver and bacon cooked in gravy, with roast potatoes, and parsnips with steamed carrot and sprouts.

We have a few fish shops, too. One just down the road from us. They sell pretty much anything. My mom wants to stop there and see if they have any smoked salmon (I don't care for it smoked, but she likes it a bit, as does my brother - and my hubs will eat it). This is the second fish shop that's been there. I don't know if it's the same people or not, but it is on property owned by the Jamestown Indians; they have an oyster shop down the road as well.

We drive past Discovery Bay every time we head to church. Captain George Vancouver sailed into the bay and "discovered" it, hence the name. I love the water. We are blessed to be so near it.

After church this afternoon, we had tuna fish (ha -fish!) sandwiches.

• Members

We went to our daughter for lunch yesterday we had  beef and all sorts of vegetables,  and of course Yorkshire Puddings,  with an apple flan which they brought back from a visit to France on Friday.  I made a "Middle Eastern Nut Roast" which I took for my wife and it was big enough for most of us to have some.  I got the recipe from the Tesco web site, recipes page.  Today we went to Tesco and they were reducing turkeys to half price.   This evening on the news there were reports that a number of people have complained that their turkeys were rancid when they opened them.  The foods standard agency are investigating.  

We had a similar situation a number of years ago when we still had Safeway supermarkets. We bought a chicken in Safeway, put it in a cool box in the car and then put it in the fridge.  When I got it out the next morning to cook it , it had an awful smell.  I phoned the store and they said bring it back, I couldn't do it that day so I returned it the next morning.  The assistant took it out of the bag and held it at arms length.  She said "We can refund you the cost and replace the item.  I told her that I didn't want another from that batch, so she refunded double the price I paid.  She said they didn't have any other complaints about that batch which was a promotion.  

I did see on the news a couple of days after, that some producers who have more stock than the stores will take re-label them with a new date.  

• Members

I had a hospital appointment in Canterbury this morning and then did some shopping, didn't buy much but did get some of my mobile phone contracts, which I have for my grandchildren updated.  Was rather late back for lunch so had a baked salmon steak with some left over potatoes which had been baked in milk with garlic.  Just had grilled tomatoes and onions with smoked bacon this evening.