• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Administrators

We had potluck at church yesterday. I brought a tater tot casserole, someone brought clam chowder (ick), sloppy joes, russian potato salad, coleslaw. And we had birthday cake (we do a birthday cake the first Sunday of each month to celebrate that month's birthdays).

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Invicta said:

What is Russian potato salad?

It looked like a cake with carrot garnish. :1_grinning:  Seriously, it was shaped like a two-layer round cake, and "iced" with mayonnaise, garnished with carrot slices. It consisted of potatoes, turnips, and a few more veggies. 

Tonight we had creamed chicken on toast.

• Members

Sounds interesting.

My eldest daughter hired a field for a camping weekend for her wedding, and had a bring and share meal.  One brought a potato salad with hard boiled eggs on top.  He arrived late and most of the people had eaten enough.  He was very disappointed that very little was eaten.  I had some and it was very nice.

It was a strange wedding, they cycled from Sutton to Paddington with my daughter in her wedding dress,  then caught a train to within 15 miles of the camping field and cycled from there.  

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

Probably no one does home made pot pies any more. But every time I think of pot pies I remember my mother making them from scratch.

I don't remember the recipe, but can still remember the delicious aroma that wafted through the house when she made these.

She used a big green Fiesta bowl; the kind that are antiques any more. She made wonderful pie crust and would make a huge one for the pot pie.

There was a coffee mug placed in the bottom of the bowl to support the huge pie crust, so it didn't sink into the liquid and become soggy.

Lots of chicken cooked to perfection, along with veggies like potatoes, carrots, onion, celery. And all of the seethed in a wonderful chicken gravy. She then  cooked it in the oven until the pie crust turned a light brown color.

I sure wish I had her recipe, I miss it. Sorry to be off topic because this is not what I had for dinner last night, but HC, your post got me to thinking about home made pot pies, there is no substitute.

• Administrators

I would agree - no frozen pot pie comes close to homemade! We are planning a "pie social" for our December potluck at church. We'll have both savory and sweet pies (and likely pizza pie). I'm planning on making at least a chicken pot pie, possibly beef. And I'm already tasting it. :91_thumbsup:

• Members

Cous cous with vegetable stew, chicken thigh and Merguez,  I usually add a small piece of lamb, but that is too expensive these days.  I had run out of the spices I use, but a builder who does some work for our church was going to Belgium for a few days to visit his in-laws brought some back for me. 

• Administrators

Today is Thanksgiving Day here in the US. We will have the traditional meal: turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans and corn, cranberry, rolls. And for dessert pumpkin, apple, and rhubarb pies (not to mention the cookies in the cookie jar).

Lots of food, with lots of leftovers for munching over the next few days. And lots of thanks and praise to our God above for all He has given and all the He is. 

May all who read this (who are in the US) have a wonderful, thankful Thanksgiving.