• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Thank you

I passed out a couple of weeks ago and since then have had dizzy spells.

Today I had Stir Fry Beef strips, with a jar of Levi Roots Caribbean Curry and pineapple chutney.with rice.  The curry was a bit tasteless but the chutney gave it some flavour.  The jar said chicken, but I had some beef in the freezer that needed to be used.

• Members
On 13/10/2017 at 4:42 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

My wife blessed me today.

When I was growing up, my mother would often make a dish that she called "Rice Stuff". I guess it could be considered a poor man's Oriental dish? It consists of ground beef, scrambled eggs, and chopped onions...all mixed in together with rice...topped off with soy sauce.

I absolutely love it! 

RICE STUFF! 

My mother never made anything like that, the only rice she used was for milk puddings. She hated currants, vinegar, and pepper, and had no sense of smell. Her two sister had a limited or no sense of smell, She was a very fussy eater,

When my wife introduced her to Courgettes/Zucchini she called them 'those cucumber things', when I said that they were just baby marrows and you like them, she said "They don't look like it."  The interesting thing was when we introduced her to pizza..  

Sometimes people use strange names for their dishes. French chef Paul Bocuse has Wooden Leg soup.  Welsh chef Tom Norrington-Davies has Toenail Pie and Rabbits in Jackets.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
17 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

WHAT is toenail pie? I looked it up and couldn't find anything out about it.

We just pieced tonight. I had cereal.

It doesn't have any toenails in it any more than wooden leg soup was wooden legs in it.

I have never made it.  It is a sweet steamed pudding topped with raspberry coulis or jam and sprinkled with desiccated coconut, which resembles toenails,   

Leftover curry from  yesterday with mango chutney as I ran out of pineapple, 

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, Invicta said:

It doesn't have any toenails in it any more than wooden leg soup was wooden legs in it.

I have never made it.  It is a sweet steamed pudding topped with raspberry coulis or jam and sprinkled with desiccated coconut, which resembles toenails,   

Leftover curry from  yesterday with mango chutney as I ran out of pineapple, 

Heh - I didn't figure it had toenails in it. I was wondering, though, what it was that gave the pie its name. Coconut would do that. It sounds tasty.

We are having roast again - the last one from our beef. The house smells lovely.

• Members

http://woodenlegsoup.blogspot.co.uk/

This seems to be copied from Paul Bocuse. Word for word.  He said it was given to him by  Henry Clos-Jouve and that it has been made in Lyons  for a very long time.  The editor of my English Edition says it is delightful reading, but not to be lightly undertaken

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Invicta said:

http://woodenlegsoup.blogspot.co.uk/

This seems to be copied from Paul Bocuse. Word for word.  He said it was given to him by  Henry Clos-Jouve and that it has been made in Lyons  for a very long time.  The editor of my English Edition says it is delightful reading, but not to be lightly undertaken

Yes, that does sound like it will feed the whole neighborhood! :1_grinning:

• Members

Our seniors lunch today.  We had shepherds pie.  I was feeling much better and managed to serve the meals at the tables.  First time for weeks,

We went shopping after and I got some Southern fried chicken bits from the Hot Deli, and served them with left over potatoes from the lunch,  fried in a little olive oil and tossed in Persillade (Parsley, garlic and shopped shallots)

• Members

Thanks. LuAnne

I hope it lasts. 

I have got a salmon steak for lunch, and we will have steamed baby potatoes, and Extra Fine green beans and probably carrot.

I rarely buy red potatoes.  I bought some desirée potatoes years ago, and they tasted very soapy.  I never bought them again, but I have sometimes had some they call reds. One of my gardening books said potatoes can taste soapy if they have too much chemical fertiliser. 

• Administrators

I hope you enjoyed your lunch. There was not much on your lunch list that appealed to me. I had so much salmon while I lived in Alaska that I no longer like it. I can eat it, but don't enjoy it. The green beans and carrots are two veggies that I love to hate. I guess out of your list my edible part would have been the potatoes.

• Members
5 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I hope you enjoyed your lunch. There was not much on your lunch list that appealed to me. I had so much salmon while I lived in Alaska that I no longer like it. I can eat it, but don't enjoy it. The green beans and carrots are two veggies that I love to hate. I guess out of your list my edible part would have been the potatoes.

I didn't enjoy it.  Just after I posted that, my daughter phoned to say her and her youngest were coming over, as she was going to help me to complete some forms from our lawyer to do with the sale of our house.  We did not have enough for all of us so my wife suggested Pizza, and got some out of the freezer and I was dealing with them and they were just about finished cooking when my daughter called me to answer some questions, and I forgot about the pizzas, till they were well overdone.

Had the salmon this evening with fried potatoes with garlic and parsley. 

Most salmon here is farmed in Scotland.  

Filling in forms is not my forté, I tend to put them in a file and hope they will go away.  My daughter was filling them in for over four hours and still hadn't finished when she had to leave. 

Edited by Invicta

• Members
5 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I love roasted red potatoes, drizzled with oil, and a packet of dry onion soup mix sprinkled over them. Any potato will do, but the reds are my favorite cooked that way.

Do you peel your potatoes when you roast them?  

• Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

Do you peel your potatoes when you roast them?  

No sir...I just cut them into quarters (or more depending on the size of the potatoes) and go from there. I like them roughly cut up into about 3/4" to 1" pieces.

Judging by your previous post...does that mean that your house has been sold?

Edited by No Nicolaitans