• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
5 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I don't understand Invicta,, how is it possible to have left over chicken breast?  :4_6_2v:

I am old and don't have a big appetite these days. I got a large chicken cooked it and put some in the fridge, and froze some, I am the only one in our family that eats meat. I don't like buying the cheaper chickens in supermarkets, but the free range ones from farms  are too expensive for me. I do have one rarely as a treat.  They put so much water into supermarket chickens it dilutes the flavour.

About  40 years ago I watched a programme on TV called What Do You Eat?.  One of the Items was how much water there is in processed food.  They visited a chicken processing factory, and showed then injecting chickens with, I think it was called called polyphosphates or something, they then dropped them into a water bath.  They said it is legal but they should meter it and they didn't. They asked why they they did it and the reply was "The customers like it because it makes the chicken more succulent." the presenter said "It was more likely the they can sell water as chicken."   They do it in all other meats as well.

When my mum roasted a joint of meat and poured out the juices, she got a bowl full of fat with just  little Jelly at the bottom.  Now we get a  bowlful of liquid with just a little fat on top. 

They also tested canned ham.  The one with most water in it was the leading brand Ye Olde Oak Ham. which had 27% water.  They said the process must have some water, but that was excessive. The can said it was in natural jelly, but it wasn't natural it was water. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Invicta said:

I am old and don't have a big appetite these days. I got a large chicken cooked it and put some in the fridge, and froze some, I am the only one in our family that eats meat. I don't like buying the cheaper chickens in supermarkets, but the free range ones from farms  are too expensive for me. I do have one rarely as a treat.  They put so much water into supermarket chickens it dilutes the flavour.

About  40 years ago I watched a programme on TV called What Do You Eat?.  One of the Items was how much water there is in processed food.  They visited a chicken processing factory, and showed then injecting chickens with, I think it was called called polyphosphates or something, they then dropped them into a water bath.  They said it is legal but they should meter it and they didn't. They asked why they they did it and the reply was "The customers like it because it makes the chicken more succulent." the presenter said "It was more likely the they can sell water as chicken."   They do it in all other meats as well.

When my mum roasted a joint of meat and poured out the juices, she got a bowl full of fat with just  little Jelly at the bottom.  Now we get a  bowlful of liquid with just a little fat on top. 

They also tested canned ham.  The one with most water in it was the leading brand Ye Olde Oak Ham. which had 27% water.  They said the process must have some water, but that was excessive. The can said it was in natural jelly, but it wasn't natural it was water. 

My wife and I are always amazed (and not in a good way) at the size of chicken breasts at Wal Mart. Some of them look like they should be turkey breasts. It's kind of scary thinking what all they are feeding those chickens (and then injecting them with) to make them so large. The ones at our local supermarket aren't much different either.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Invicta said:

Yes, I understand Invicta. To my mind water injection of meat is totally deceptive and its only purpose is increased profit. Ham has long been known as one of the easiest meats to be injected and is not even noticed by most people.

• Members

One of our TV chefs, Jamie Oliver, who has had a campaign in our country to get school meals to have more healthy menus.   He had some success but when he went to US he was banned from attending any schools in some states.  He did attend one in what he said was the most obese city in the most obese state in the most obese country in the world.  He didn't say which as far as I can remember, but he did visit one school class of 6 year olds and held up a number of common vegetables and asked what they were, and not one could recognise any of them, even a potato. They didn't even know that chips/fries com from potatoes.  

He did visit a family and asked what they ate and they said pizza and chips/fries. He looked in their freezer and it was stuffed full of these. The 12 year old was really large and took the family for a health check at the local hospital.  He said they had never had a check up, and he said he did not understand the US school system but he could not understand how a 12 year old had never had a checkup. When they got to the hospital the Dr. immediately said he thought the 12 year old had diabetes. but after checks he said he hadn't but if he didn't change his diet he soon would have. Not getting at you over there but that is what was reported. 

I noticed over the time I have posted on this thread, very few of us have mentioned having vegetables. Vegetables give vitamins, different vitamins from meat. We try to have a balance of protein and vegetables.  I have meat for protein and my wife has cheese, pulses, egg and milk products.

• Members
11 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I don't understand Invicta,, how is it possible to have left over chicken breast?  :4_6_2v:

Sorry Jim, I had leftover chicken again for lunch today. Roast vegetables, Carrot, butternut, celeriac, parsnip. steamed baby potatoes and green beans. 

We will have salad for supper.  

• Members

I had Roast Beef yesterday, leftover Roast Beef today, and guess what?  I just found out that we are having  Roast Beef at our seniors lunch tomorrow.

Today  Roast Beef with Dijon style potatoes Steamed carrot and green beans,  

Dijon potatoes are sliced and precooked (steamed in my case), then added finely chopped shallots, chervil and chives, in cream with Dijon Mustard and lemon juice topped with grated cheese and baked for ½ hour or so, until brown on top.

• Administrators

Today's dinner sounds wonderful Invicta. I'll have to try the potatoes cooked like that some time.

Tonight we are having roast chicken thighs with drumsticks attached. My wife found an excellent way to cook them so that it takes less time and does not have the tendency to dry them out from roasting. She fully cooks them in the micro wave and then puts them in the over to brown for an hour. The cooking in the micro wave goes very quickly. i can't remember just how long she cooks them that way, but it seems fast.

Like I said once before, "I never met a chicken I didn't like."    

• Administrators

This morning I seared some cube steaks and made gravy. Then I put the gravy and meat in the crockpot, so it's been cooking for almost 6 hours. Potatoes and green beans are cooking right now (not in the same pot), and we'll have a little bit of salad as well.  Yum, yum!

• 3 weeks later...