• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Invicta said:

I goofed today I put some baking potatoes on the timer in the oven and we went shopping, expecting them to be done when we arrived home, intending to heat up some leftover in the microwave for a few minutes to accompany them, but when we arrived home I discovered that I had set the timer but not the temperature, so they were still uncooked.

It sounds like an emergency situation to me. I would pop them in the microwave. six minutes does the trick, depending on the size.

• Members
Just now, Jim_Alaska said:

It sounds like an emergency situation to me. I would pop them in the microwave. six minutes does the trick, depending on the size.

We don't like them done in the MW. I put some frozen chips in the airfryer with a haddock.

• Administrators

2 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

I really like horseradish with fried chicken. It's good with roast beef, too, but I much prefer it with the chicken.  

Jim, my brother is like you in that he doesn't like sauces with his meats because he feels they cover the taste of the meat. I think the sauces enhance the taste. It's interesting how tastes differ, isn't it?

We put potatoes on the grill to cook one night...and they were still rock hard by the time the meat was ready. Of course, that's because potatoes take longer to cook. So I began zapping them in the microwave to soften a bit before grilling. That works pretty well. I rub some olive oil into the skins and then throw 'em on there. I love it when the skin gets crispy but the meat of the potato is melt-in-your mouth done!

Tonight my nephew is coming for dinner. My mom and dad basically raised him, so my mom is always thrilled to see him (I'm looking forward to it, too).  So she is making pot roast. I suggested that we cook 2 of them, because we always like to send food home with him. The house is starting to smell lovely...

HC Have you every had baked vegetables with your meat dishes?. If not I can post a very good method for doing vegetable that way. I'm not much of a vegetable fan, don't like them boiled at all, but baked the way I do them are real yummy.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Invicta said:

We don't like them done in the MW. I put some frozen chips in the airfryer with a haddock.

I don't like them done in the microwave either, but it's better than no potatoes. If you have gravy then they taste pretty good.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

HC Have you every had baked vegetables with your meat dishes?. If not I can post a very good method for doing vegetable that way. I'm not much of a vegetable fan, don't like them boiled at all, but baked the way I do them are real yummy.

I have at times - I'm open for any recipes, that's for sure!

• Members
17 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Same here.

We had our baked potato and trimmings from yesterday for lunch, and prawn salad for supper.

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators
On 8/28/2017 at 6:23 PM, HappyChristian said:

OK, the key to perfection is uniformity. In this case uniformity is in the form of every vegetable, except one, cut to as close to the same size as possible. Size depends of personal preference, but in every preference, all the same size.

I start with a large rectangular Pyrex baking dish with low sides.

I like a variety of fresh veggies, but you can use as few or as many as you like.

My veggies usually consist of; potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus. You can use as few or as many veggies as you like.

Cut veggies all the the same size except the garlic.

Separate garlic cloves from the bulb, and cut the cloves in quarters and remove garlic skin.

Wash veggies in water and drain thoroughly. Be careful with the onions and cabbage. you don't want them to fall apart. You may find that you have to cut the cabbage just a bit larger due to it being fragile and the leaves separating.

Place veggies in the baking dish, don't just dump them in. I like to leave just a bit of space between each piece.

Place garlic evenly around and between all vegetables. Sprinkle vegetables liberally with EVO. Now sprinkle them very lightly with your favorite seasoned salt, I prefer Johnny's.

Place dish in oven heated to 350 degrees. Bake until all veggies are soft to  an inserted fork or toothpick..

The olive oil will carry the flavor of the garlic throughout all the vegetables as they bake, this is why I like to place the garlic as evenly as possible throughout the vegetables. You will find that the garlic will impart a slight sweet, seasoned taste to the rest of the vegetables.

You will find this method an enjoyable and tasty alternative to boiled or steamed vegetables. And preparation is not as long as it may seem when you read this.

If you try this, let me know how you liked or disliked it and why. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

OK, the key to perfection is uniformity. In this case uniformity is in the form of every vegetable, except one, cut to as close to the same size as possible. Size depends of personal preference, but in every preference, all the same size.

I like a variety of fresh veggies, but you can use as few or as many as you like.

My veggies usually consist of; potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus. You can use as few or as many veggies as you like.

Cut veggies all the the same size except the garlic.

Separate garlic cloves from the bulb, and cut the cloves in quarters and remove garlic skin.

Wash veggies in water and drain thoroughly. Be careful with the onions and cabbage. you don't want them to fall apart. You may find that you have to cut the cabbage just a bit larger due to it being fragile and the leaves separating.

Place veggies in the baking dish, don't just dump them in. I like to leave just a bit of space between each piece.

Place garlic evenly around and between all vegetables. Sprinkle vegetables liberally with EVO. Now sprinkle them very lightly with your favorite seasoned salt, I prefer Johnny's.

Place dish in oven heated to 350 degrees. Bake until all veggies are soft to  an inserted fork or toothpick..

The olive oil will carry the flavor of the garlic throughout all the vegetables as they bake, this is why I like to place the garlic as evenly as possible throughout the vegetables. You will find that the garlic will impart a slight sweet, seasoned taste to the rest of the vegetables.

You will find this method an enjoyable and tasty alternative to boiled or steamed vegetables. And preparation is not as long as it may seem when you read this.

If you try this, let me know how you liked or disliked it and why. 

This does sound delicious! Will definitely try it this fall/winter (we don't do much baking in the summer because the kitchen gets far too hot). Thanks!

• Members

I had wild pacific salmon fillet (not wild when I got it from the freezer in Sainsbury, but that is what it said on the packet.)  With  steamed baby potatoes and runner beans, roast Parsnip, butternut, carrot and red onions.  

Edited by Invicta

• Members
On 30/08/2017 at 3:14 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

A bit late in replying Jim,  but I did roast veggies today served with a chicken  breast portion.  I add salt and pepper a little finely ground Herbes de Provence and a touch of ground garlic with a good sprinkling of olive oil.  I used to use Pyrex for potatoes but found that they stuck to it.  We now use Black non stick pans as they don't stick and it aids browning.  

(Black pans also aid defrosting frozen things, the thicker the better.  I remember doing an experiment in school where we tested the heating and cooling of Black, white and two shades of grey, and the black came out tops in all cases.)