• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

I made a chicken stir-fry for me and my girls (my wife was at a birthday get together for one of the ladies in our church). Halfway through making the sauce, I realized I didn't have any honey. I needed some sweet to balance out the vinegar and soy sauce, so I grabbed some vanilla. It was good, but it just didn't seem right in stir-fry. Next time I'll just stick to extra sugar.

• Members

My wife doesn't like vinegar in stir fry or sweetness so I just use soy sauce, although I sometimes sneak in a little honey and rice wine vinegar.

Not sure what I am doing this evening.  Probably something light as we had our seniors lunch at church today. We cal it the Bethany Lunch.  We had roast lamb, roast potatoes carrots and green beans, followed by rice pudding.  There is a short evangelistic message before lunch and tea and coffee are also served.  

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

Somehow I have never developed a taste for Mexican food. I think it may have to do with my upbringing on the east coast. I am old enough to remember that when I was growing up I never heard of Mexican food, nor were there any Mexican food places, like there is now.

Now that I live on the west coast I can see that Mexican food has always been popular here because of its close proximity to Mexico and immigrants from Mexico.

I have tried to develop a taste for it, but not very often. Although my wife likes it, we don't have it at home. If I am invited out to dinner at a Mexican place I have, at times tried different dishes, but never could develop a taste for it.

I am glad you and your family like it, you make the different dishes you post about sound good, but for all of that I still don't like it.

• Administrators

Ah, Jim - it's so tasty! =D  As to the west coast/Mexican food, actually when I was growing up, Mexican food was predominantly Taco Bell (in WA...probably the real stuff in CA, TX, etc). I don't care for the southwestern flavor profile (like chipotle peppers), and I'm not sure I'd care for actual Spanish food. But the Mexican...nummy! =D

We had beef stroghanoff and noodles last night.  Tonight will be leftovers - even tastier since the flavors melded together over the last 24 hours.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

And tonight it's pork roast - from the pig we just had butchered. So far we've had side pork (unseasoned bacon) and sausage. Good stuff!

Now your talking my language. Like Emeril says: "Pork Fat Rules!" Nothing better than a pork roast with pork gravy. To me side pork is better than bacon, although I love both.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Now your talking my language. Like Emeril says: "Pork Fat Rules!" Nothing better than a pork roast with pork gravy. To me side pork is better than bacon, although I love both.

Agreed! This pork roast, though, should probably have been ground up into sausage. It was a tough cut of meat. Next time we butcher we'll know a bit better how to direct the cuts.  That said, my hubby sure did enjoy his pork roast hash for breakfast this morning. =D

The very first pig my hubs and I raised (well, our friends did the raising, we just paid for it and provided food. heh) ended up being a lot of sausage and some good roasts. But we didn't get any of them cured. I soaked one of the roasts in a bucket of salt water for 12 hours before cooking it...one of the BEST pork roasts we have ever had! 

When I was in high school, we butchered pigs that we raised. Side pork and mustard sandwiches became my lunch for school for many days!

• Administrators

There is a lot to be said for knowing how to properly cut meat, it makes all the difference in the world. I was blessed in that I worked as a butcher for many years as a young man. This served me well when I lived in Alaska, I had all the guys at church asking me to help butcher their moose. Once you know the different cuts and how to locate and separate them, the rest is easy.

Pigs are very easy since you don't have to break down the leg portions into all the different cuts that you do on beef.

• Moderators

Pork, beef, lamb, goat, chicken, turkey, duck, goose, rabbit, et al, it's ALL gooood.  We even named one of our new kittens Ham. Granted, it is because we named them Ham, Shem and Japheth. But Ham looks like he will live up to his name, as he is getting bigger than his brothers.

Tonight, being payday, we go to our one little local diner, the Sunspot, before church service, where I will indulge in one of the best burgers you can find between here and Reno, a bacon cheese burger. I would like the double, but it is hard to fit, even in my big mouth.

• Members

My experience of French steaks.

Tartar.  Raw beef usually ground (minced) 

Bleu, Blue.  Shown the pan each side.

Saignant (sp?)  (bloody)  Rare.  Shown the pan a bit more.

a Point.  (Moyen) Medium  Well done outside raw inside.

Bien fait, Well done.  Burnt outside and raw inside.