• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

My Chicken Helper meal looks like it will turn out pretty good.  Ground chicken has a little bit more fat than the 85-15 ground turkey...but I took care of that problem by adding about 3 tbsp. of all purpose flour to the water added and it absorbed alot  of the excess fat.  Then I added a cup of frozen mixed veggies, chopped onion and garlic cloves, a tad of salt and pepper.  I'll let you guys know after we eat it.

It was delicious!

Edited by LindaR

• Members

My mother in law could not eat frozen vegetables, they made her very ill, at times I thought she was dying.  It got to the stage when if we ate out, we had to ask if there were any frozen vegetables on the menu.  One restaurant said "Madam we do not use any frozen food."   It seems that only green food like peas and beans affected her.  My Aunt who worked at the government chemist where they test food, said there was nothing added to frozen food.  However we went to a family wedding and my m-i-l was extremely ill.  We asked the caterers if there were any frozen vegetables in the meal and they said the Brussels Sprouts were frozen.

• Members

Today I did omelettes and salad, quick and easy and cheap.  

Approximate pricing.

3 free range eggs,  70p (I have two eggs, my wife one)

Onion  2p

Grated Cheddar  10p

Smoked bacon lardons 10p

Mushroom 5p

Tomato, from the garden.

Watercress  25p

Butter for frying  5p

Total for two omelettes and salad.  £1.27 or about $1.70. 

• Members

Chicken Helper, like Hamburger Helper is a boxed dinner which contains a packet of pasta, dehydrated potatoes or rice and a packet of sauce mix (in powder form to which you add either water or milk or both).  With chicken helper, you add chicken to the pasta and sauce and with hamburger helper, you add hamburger or any other ground meat.  We usually use ground turkey to hamburger helper because it has less fat than hamburger.  I used a chicken helper dinner and tried using ground chicken instead of regular chicken meat to the mix and it turned out really good.  I "doctor" it up with whatever comes to my mind...otherwise, those "helper" meals are pretty bland...IMHO.

• Members

Chicken Helper, like Hamburger Helper is a boxed dinner which contains a packet of pasta, dehydrated potatoes or rice and a packet of sauce mix (in powder form to which you add either water or milk or both).  With chicken helper, you add chicken to the pasta and sauce and with hamburger helper, you add hamburger or any other ground meat.  We usually use ground turkey to hamburger helper because it has less fat than hamburger.  I used a chicken helper dinner and tried using ground chicken instead of regular chicken meat to the mix and it turned out really good.  I "doctor" it up with whatever comes to my mind...otherwise, those "helper" meals are pretty bland...IMHO.

It sounds an expensive way to do something simple.

• Members

It sounds an expensive way to do something simple.

It's really not expensive at all.  The only expensive part of the meal is the meat...depending on what type you use.  That ground chicken I used was $2.68 for the 1 pound roll.  The dinner contained in the box (the sauce mix, the pasta and the breading for the chicken) was $1.25.  I used about .15 cents of milk, the water from the tap (free) and a cup of frozen veggies (.75 cents), and about .50 cents of chopped onion and garlic.  It made enough for 2 meals for the 2 of us...not too expensive compared to going out to a restaurant to eat.  Was a little over $5 for 2 meals.

• Moderators

Has anyone tried this new spread (not sure how new it is) called "Nutella"?  We bought a jar of it today and it's pretty good.  Can't get that too often, it's pretty pricey.

Nutella's been around up here for a while - it's good! Makes a good spread for pancakes or on ice cream too.

• Members

It's really not expensive at all.  The only expensive part of the meal is the meat...depending on what type you use.  That ground chicken I used was $2.68 for the 1 pound roll.  The dinner contained in the box (the sauce mix, the pasta and the breading for the chicken) was $1.25.  I used about .15 cents of milk, the water from the tap (free) and a cup of frozen veggies (.75 cents), and about .50 cents of chopped onion and garlic.  It made enough for 2 meals for the 2 of us...not too expensive compared to going out to a restaurant to eat.  Was a little over $5 for 2 meals.

Well done.  Our supermarket chain, Sainsburys, last year issued a series of recipe cards entitled "Feed a family for a fiver." (£5)  

Tesco and some other stores have a selection of meats for £4 with 2 for £7 and 3 for £10.  You can mix and match. I usually get lamb leg steaks, chicken breasts, minced (ground) beef or lamb.  But I sometimes get a whole chicken, joint it and freeze it,

A new TV programme started this week, entitled Jamie's Money Saving Meals.  There is a book that goes with the series which costs £26.  Radio Times has it on offer at £17, but I saw it today in Sainsbuty at £9.99.  

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Deep fried perch and pickerel....with french fries of course.  I realize deep frying isn't the healthiest method of cooking fish but it is sure the tastiest!  We consume a lot of wild game and fish and most of our meat has not been injected with any hormones or chemicals to speed their growth.  We are a hunting family and catch most of what we consume.   :)

Most farmed meat contains polyphosphates which make it absorb water.  I saw a TV programme some years ago.  It was all about this.  Manufacturers say it makes the meat more succulent.  Campaigners say it enables them to sell water at the price of meat. They did a test on various brands of meat and worked out how much added water was in them.  In canned ham, the leading brand had about 30% added water.  (They called it Jelly, water and gellatine.)