• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Lambs liver and bacon in onion gravy with parsnips roasted with olive oil and Herbes de Provence, served with Mediteranean vegetables roasted with Olive oil, fresh basil and thyme, tomato puree and balsamic vinegar. C'est bon.

• Members

Is it proper for me to rinse rice? I read in a recipe that some do that.

I am a novice cook, I can see why some men folk should be banned from the kitchen, but it's that or eat take out every night.
Ma will make spaghetti once a month, when the kids come over,,, man it's good,,

• Members

Is it proper for me to rinse rice? I read in a recipe that some do that.

I am a novice cook, I can see why some men folk should be banned from the kitchen, but it's that or eat take out every night.
Ma will make spaghetti once a month, when the kids come over,,, man it's good,,

You shouldn't have to rinse rice, if you put enough water it will not be sticky, usually orzo, which looks like rice, gets rinsed, but it is actually a pasta.
Have fun experimenting

• Members

I always rinse rice, just to make sure it is clean. I never use easy cook rice as I find it tasteless.

Here is a recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/rice-recipes/light-fluffy-rice

• Administrators

Last night was Kentucky Fried Chicken. Tonight it's the leftovers. Yum.

bibletoter: rinsing rice is a good idea if it's whole grain. Usually the boxed rices don't need it. Lasagna is actually easy to make (that is what we have for Christmas every year). The easy way to make it:

Fry up your ground meat (whatever kind you prefer works)
In a bowl:
Mix the meat with spaghetti sauce. Make sure the sauce is a bit runny - if I use jar sauce, I usually use 2 jars per pound of meat. Add a large carton of cottage cheese (again, per pound of meat) and mix thoroughly. Have shredded mozzarella cheese ready.

In pan: cover the bottom of the pan lightly with the sauce you've made, sprinkle some mozzarella. Layer lasagna noodles. There is no need to cook the noodles because you'll be baking them. The noodles will soak up the sauce. Cover the noodles with sauce. Layer of mozzarella. Layer of noodles. Layer of sauce, etc....finish with a layer of sauce, making sure the noodles are completely covered or they will be very hard!

Bake in the oven at 350 for about an hour (or until a fork will go through the noodles smoothly). You can cover the lasagna if you want to. About five minutes or so before taking it out of the oven, spread mozzarella over the top; bake until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes to set up - so it won't be runny when you slice it.

Enjoy. :icon_smile: As I said, that's the easy way to fix it. We love it with homemade sauce, but in a pinch, the jar sauce works great. Putting the noodles in uncooked saves a good bit of time as well. There are actually noodles now that are kind of pre-cooked. I don't recommend those because they are kinda pasty when baked.