• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Yes, My mum used to make it.

This recipe is from Mrs Beeton, slightly modified by my wife.

Ilb stale bread
4 oz brown sugar
10 oz mixed dried fruit (including orange peel)
1 teaspoon mixed spice
4 oz margarine (Mrs B uses suet, but my wife is vegetarian.)
2 eggs.
A little milk.

We use wholemeal bread. Break bread into small pieces and soak in cold water for at least ½ hour, then strain and sqqueeze as dry as possible. Put into a basin and beat out the lumps with a fork.

Add the dried fruit, sugar and fat, peel and mixed spice and mix well. Add the egg and enough milk to enable the mixture to drop easily from a spoon. Put into a greased tin and bake in a warm oven, 335F Gas 3, for about 1 hour. When done, turn out onto a hot dish. Dredge with sugar and serve with custard. (I have never had it with custard, just a cup of tea.)

If you cannot get mixed dried fruit, use 8 oz of raisins or sultanas, or a mixture of the two, and 2 oz of dried citrus peel.

Thx -- this sounds delicious. Will try it and report back. :)

• Members

Thx -- this sounds delicious. Will try it and report back. :)

I bought some in a local bakery, but it was tasteless, not enough fruit or spices.

I have seen it sold in a market in Calais, France where they called it "pouding".

• Members

I bought some in a local bakery, but it was tasteless, not enough fruit or spices.

I have seen it sold in a market in Calais, France where they called it "pouding".

Hahaha! I tried it first at a restaurant -- it had plenty of spice (yummy) and it was also rich. When I go to France one of these days, I'll be sure to pick some up. :)

• Members

Hahaha! I tried it first at a restaurant -- it had plenty of spice (yummy) and it was also rich. When I go to France one of these days, I'll be sure to pick some up. :)

It is not a thing that is usually seen in France. I have only seen it in Calais, but as my wife says, "Calais thinks it still belongs to England"

We also have bread and butter pudding which is completely different.

• Members

My wife is not well or eating well so I did vegetable soup for lunch. For supper I did her creamy leek and mushroom topped with cheesy garlic saffron mashed potato, and I had ham, tomato and red onion omelette with watercress salad.

• Members

We had our carol service thia afternoon followed by a buffet meal. I supplied French bread slices topped with a. Tuna and Mayo, b. Mackerel in mustard sauce, c. Garlic and herb spreading cheese, d. Camembert cheese. I also supplied a couple of leek quiches.

• Members

The local Wal-Marts used to bake some excellent fresh French bread. Then for some reason they greatly reduced the size of their French bread they baked. I don't know if they also made other changes or not, but the smaller French bread is not anywhere near as good as the larger ones they used to make. We stopped buying French bread from the Wal-Mart bakery.

• Members

I have never known anywhere outside France that makes decent Frech bread. All of our stores do "baguettes" of 400gms. French Baguettes are 250gm or 200gm. 400gm loaves are known as "pain longue" or "baton". We spend a day in France about once a month and bring back French bread and freeze it. We either buy 10 baguettes in a bag where you get one extra free, or we buy dejeunettes 10 of which weigh a klio.

This is supermarket bread and agin is nothing like the bread, or near as good, as that which you can buy in a village bakery, but it is not bad and is convenient.