• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Crockpot chili made with stew beef, and fettuccine alfredo, green beans, and home made cookies.

Do you have the recipe for your Crockpot chili? I would like to try it sometime.

Today I had left over chicken for lunch and for supper.

• Members

I used a pound of stew beef cut in 1" chunks, a can of whole tomatoes, cut up, a can of medium heat chili beans, a clove of garlic minced, and a small onion, chopped. I also put in a little pepper, and some chili powder. I browned the beef a little in some oil. I put the tomatoes, beans, garlic and onion and seasonings in a 3-1/2 -4 qt crockpot. Added the beef, stirred it all and cooked it for 5 hours on high. I thought it might be thick and chunky, but it was a bit soupy. That is okay though. I like chili soup, and my hubby likes thick chili, so I drained the juice off his portion. There is very little of it left!

• Members

Sounds yummy.

I was hoping you may use fresh chillies as I have some in the freezer which I didn't know what to do with. I will try it soon.

Today we had shepherd's pie, which I froze at the new year.

A week or so ago, our local Sainsburys supermarket were giving all shoppers two plastic storage boxes to encourage us to use leftovers. We always do as we were brought up in the war when waste was considered a crime.

A recent TV programme said that in the UK it was estimated that up to 50% of food sold is wasted. People buy special offers but don't use them.

On the other hand there is waste at the supermarkets. There are people who call themselves "Fregans" who go to the back of supermarkets and retrieve food that has been thrown away. On one TV programme, one of these people took a reporter to the back of some stores and showed them some of the perfectly usable food which has been discarded. Our Tesco store does not do that, the run it through a compacter, so it cannot be re-used. It something has a best before, display until or use
by date, they will not sell it after that date, even by 1 minute. The store opens 24 hours.

• Members

We had chicken and noodles but made it different., "Which is scary cause you never what the family is going to think. I had a family size can of cream of chicken soup , reg. size can of roasted garlic mushroom soup and a lg. can of chicken breast on the shelf . SOOO I through it all together in a pot of noodles . It WAS scary at first but everbody seemed to like it . I think I`ll make some mashed potatoes tomorrow and use them under the leftovers .THAT sounds really good.

• Members

Sounds yummy.

I was hoping you may use fresh chillies as I have some in the freezer which I didn't know what to do with. I will try it soon.

Today we had shepherd's pie, which I froze at the new year.

A week or so ago, our local Sainsburys supermarket were giving all shoppers two plastic storage boxes to encourage us to use leftovers. We always do as we were brought up in the war when waste was considered a crime.

A recent TV programme said that in the UK it was estimated that up to 50% of food sold is wasted. People buy special offers but don't use them.

On the other hand there is waste at the supermarkets. There are people who call themselves "Fregans" who go to the back of supermarkets and retrieve food that has been thrown away. On one TV programme, one of these people took a reporter to the back of some stores and showed them some of the perfectly usable food which has been discarded. Our Tesco store does not do that, the run it through a compacter, so it cannot be re-used. It something has a best before, display until or use
by date, they will not sell it after that date, even by 1 minute. The store opens 24 hours.

Funny you should mention that , because friends of ours know we have had it kinda tight moneywise because of my disability the past year .So they have been bringing us WONDERFUL out of date food from some store that allows out of date items to be given away . The Lord has provided salads and salad fixings (which we would NEVER be able to afford ,paying for it ourselves, Fresh fruit and veggies are too expensive even if ya are working). And give us gourmet breads and veggies and fruits ,(even exotics ),granola,all sorts of cookies and cakes.
MY point is that The Lord has greatly blessed us with all this.And it is sad that FEAR of being sued has to keep grociers from being generous to the poor and needy . I thank the Lord all the time for our weekly receipt of such good foods. AND the store that provides them ! God bless,

• Members

Our last pastor was brought up in a small village where his father owned the local village store. He said they lived on out of date food.

As I posted on another thread somewhere, last Wednesday I bought two bags full of shopping for less than the price of one of the individual items. From about 8.00pm they start reducing things to the rock bottom/ They start during the afternoon by reducing things that are sell by that day by 25%, about 5.00 they reduce it to 50% then later to 25%. In the later evening they will reduce everything to about 10p (15c) or even 5p or less. Recently we bought a lot of leeks, which we are really fond of, for 5p for 500g, just over a lb. We had so many our freezer was full so we had to take a lot down to the church and put them in the freezer there

When we had our church barbecue in the summer, I was asked to do salads, and I wanted a red cabbage to make a red cole slaw. They had one but when I asked if I could have it, the young man said No, it was yesterday's date, so it would not go through the tills as the computer would reject it.

• Administrators

Oh you have got the snow, we are expecting it on Thursday and friday.

Oh, yeah. It's supposed to be a blizzard tonight, with a possibility of 15 inches, lots of wind and reeeeaaaally low temps tomorrow. Brrrr. WHERE is that global warming???:coffee2: Pass the hot chocolate. :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

Our last pastor was brought up in a small village where his father owned the local village store. He said they lived on out of date food.

As I posted on another thread somewhere, last Wednesday I bought two bags full of shopping for less than the price of one of the individual items. From about 8.00pm they start reducing things to the rock bottom/ They start during the afternoon by reducing things that are sell by that day by 25%, about 5.00 they reduce it to 50% then later to 25%. In the later evening they will reduce everything to about 10p (15c) or even 5p or less. Recently we bought a lot of leeks, which we are really fond of, for 5p for 500g, just over a lb. We had so many our freezer was full so we had to take a lot down to the church and put them in the freezer there

When we had our church barbecue in the summer, I was asked to do salads, and I wanted a red cabbage to make a red cole slaw. They had one but when I asked if I could have it, the young man said No, it was yesterday's date, so it would not go through the tills as the computer would reject it.

Its wonderful to hear people benefiting from benevolent groceriers.My children ,which are young adults ,are always talking about how Walmart throws away even end of day Deli items such as fried chicken and salads etc. My oldest boy is always trying to get them to sell him the leftovers (not even ``dayold``yet) to take home and freeze . They always tell him ``its no good anymore`` . HOW SAD that americans have let themselves become SO fearful as to discount benevolence.
I often equate the giving of leftovers of grociers and even department stores ,as well as those that have garage sales, with the Scriptural principle of Gods law to leave the corners of the fields for the poor to harvest . It is actually the same modern day equvalent ! And I do believe that businesses are sinning when not giving of even outdated leftovers.GOD gives us individuals intellegence enough to discern what is good and not good. Dont need govt. laws to dictate what can and cant be dispersed.
ANYWAYS , PRAISE THE LORD for the abundance He does give !
God bless