• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do you help you children adjust to the world?

• Members

The parents who homeschool out of an isolationist philosophy raise self centered children who can't make friends.

The parents who homeschool out of laziness (want to sleep in) raise lazy, uneducated kids.

The parents who homeschool because they feel its the best education for their children, and they have a routine, and they socialize at every church function and go on field trips with others usually raise well rounded, intelligent children....the only thing is they also should be trained that other kids who are not homeschooled can be just as godly as they are because sometimes there is a pride factor there that should not be.

• Members

I agree, my posts are from my past ones as well...I have met, I think, about every kind of homeschooler, from weird, obnoxious, proud, stupid, or just plain intelligent, godly kids. It really is mostly the parents.

• Members

I homeschool my four children becauseit is the best education for my children. I have moved three times in two years with my husbands job. I used to have them in a Christianschool, where I taught. I have an education degree. The christian school was pretty good,except that there were parents that had their children in the school for other reasons than of a good christian education.

I went to a public school when I was a child. I was so mistreated and had no socialization. My children are active in church, soccer with our county, boy scouts, girl scouts and many other things. I have more time to be with my children and they have more activities now than they would if they were in public school. I work a full time job from 11 pm until 7am, so I can be with my children to give them the best life.

My childrens state tests; tests them a grade level higher in every subject. They are the most friendly and outgoing children. I would have never been this way, and I was exposed to "the world".

I do not like parents that homeschool for selfish reasons. I am held accountable for my childrens education and I will not let my children suffer in any way. It works best for my children, because it gives them stability in a unstable work world.

This is how I am with my homeschooling. I agree that there are people who should not be homeschooling, but they have the right to do it.

You cannot put all homeschoolers is a tight group. There are many people out there that have problems. I think society today needs to take account for their own actions and quit blameing everyone and everything for their problems.

Gail

[quote]
You cannot put all homeschoolers is a tight group.
[/quote]

Amen!!! Just like someone can't pull all public schools and Christian schools in a tight group.

• Members

You sound like one of the awesome homeschoolers! I commend you for sure...because I know its a job I probably couldn't do, and I even have an education degree as well.

Homeschooling is a VERY demanding job for mom, if it is done correctly. That's why I can't believe some moms just flippantly say "Oh I don't like that teacher, I think I'll homeschool."

Anyway, great job gklima!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

As a side note I would recommend that churches EITHER have a Christian school OR a homeschool umbrella....because often if you mix the two there is a very similar situation to Dr. Seuss' "The Sneeches"..... (One group thinks they are better than the other group....and results in cliques and strife in church...)

• Members

No what I mean by a homeschool umbrella would be you have several families in your church who decide they want to homeschool together instead of having a Christians school...so they'd go on field trips together and do SAT testing together, etc, through the church, but they'd only be church members or *possibly* like faith churches similar to Christian school but very limited.

• Members

Where I live there are no Christian schools for about a 2 hours drive, and my state doesn't require an umbrella school. I am registered with the state and I volunteer to give them my attendance sheets and test scores. It keeps me from getting slack in any of my teaching.

I have not had any problems with having problems with the two "schools" clashing.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Just happened to look at this and wanted to add something. I don't want my kids "adjusted to the world". I want them to adjust to God. If they are walking with God and doing what they are supposed to be doing, they will be taken care of. My kids know enough about right and wrong that they can socialize with other kids at the playground and realize the right way to do things and the wrong way. If someone starts doing something stupid, they come home. We participate in Boy Scouts and all Church activities. I'm leery of anything from the world but I know that if we raise them in the nuture and admonition of the Lord...they will be quite fine.

Again, I'm raising them for God...not for this pathetic world.

• Members

Just happened to look at this and wanted to add something. I don't want my kids "adjusted to the world". I want them to adjust to God. If they are walking with God and doing what they are supposed to be doing, they will be taken care of. My kids know enough about right and wrong that they can socialize with other kids at the playground and realize the right way to do things and the wrong way. If someone starts doing something stupid, they come home. We participate in Boy Scouts and all Church activities. I'm leery of anything from the world but I know that if we raise them in the nuture and admonition of the Lord...they will be quite fine.

:amen:

I heard a Christian lady on the radio last night who was asked how she managed to raise her children so well when others have so many problems. She was asked about how she got her daughters to dress modest and act modest and what she did when they asked about what others wore or did. She said she always told her daughters from an early age on that she was raising them for the Lord, not the world. That as Christians they were called to a higher standard and pleasing God is far more important than any seeming approval from worldly people or the world in general.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hurray for you Dennis, they do not have to adjust to this world, it is that type of thinking that sometimes throws us off track!

• 4 months later...
  • Members
Because homeschooled kids are more "sheltered" than public school kids, how do you make sure that they'll adjust to the real world and keep their values?

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that homeschooled children are "sheltered". Our children are out in the "real world" far more than their government schooled counterparts.