• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do you help you children adjust to the world?

• Members
Because homeschooled kids are more "sheltered" than public school kids, how do you make sure that they'll adjust to the real world and keep their values?

Just what is "the real world"? Are you implying that home school families live in a fantasy world?

And just what is wrong with sheltering our children from a world of unbridled sin and debauchery?

Godly parents do not want their children to be adjusted to the so-called "real world". Edited by brosmith

• Members

I don't believe that homeschooling is what makes a child a "misfit" in society, but rather how the parents raises the child and what they allow the children to do.

I've seen just as many "misfits" in Christian schools.

Yes, I see your point from the homeschool side.

However, the vast majority of misfits in society aren't homeschooled they are publicly educated. Granted there are many more millions of publicly educated children from which to become "social misfits."

I would have to say in response to the OP that public education shows what is too much socialization. Which leads us back to having and maintaining a balance based on the Bible.

I will add, that I prefer my children be social misfits in the "real world" than miss their fit in God's world to come. Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

It's a common misperception, which the media tend to push, that homeschooled children are kept locked away in their homes with little or not contact with the outside world.

The fact is, most homeschooled children are active or very active in their church and often various other organizations from Scouts to charity based groups to sports, etc.

Homeschooled children tend to be better at speaking with and interacting with adults because they are not kept separated by age as are public school children.

It's also true, even when considering adjusted percentages, that the vast majority of misft kids, juvenile deliquents, drop outs, and those far below "grade level", come from the public school sector and not the homeschooling sector.

• Members

Hi, just a question, two people have mentioned scouts. I don't know who runs your scouts but ours is a worldly organisation and is unfortuneately known for being target by perverts. I know it once started out christian based but it is no longer. Is your Scouts different to ours? We have Boys Brigade which is an offshoot of Scouts and is mostly run by the Baptist Union Church. We have been looking into letting our boys go but I'm concerned about putting our children into another church's program.

• Members

Hi, just a question, two people have mentioned scouts. I don't know who runs your scouts but ours is a worldly organisation and is unfortuneately known for being target by perverts. I know it once started out christian based but it is no longer. Is your Scouts different to ours? We have Boys Brigade which is an offshoot of Scouts and is mostly run by the Baptist Union Church. We have been looking into letting our boys go but I'm concerned about putting our children into another church's program.

Boy Scouts really depends upon where they are located and who is running them. Here in our small town the Boy Scouts is run by Christians and still a good thing. I know in many other areas, especially in and near cities, this isn't the case and Christians should avoid those.

We don't have any Christian alternatives here, no real need for such, but I've heard others talk about some and what I heard was positive.

If the Boys Brigade is run well and would be good for your children I wouldn't be worried about putting them in another churches program so long as there are not other concerns involved.

• Members

What John said about where the Scouts is located is definitely a huge part. I felt the need to be a leader so I am my older boys Den Leader and I also hold the position of Assistant Cub Master so I have my hands in most of the planning. It also helps we have many Christians that hold leadership positions. We pray often and always in Jesus' name. With that said, I've never been a part of a Pack/Troop that was like this...surely it's few and far between. Our first (and only so far) campout we had Scout's Church early Sunday morning and I gave the message from the Bible...it wasn't non-denominational or inter-denominational...it was Bible. And after that my boys and I packed up and went to real Church lol.

I've found that if I can get a foot in the door with Scouts and can be a positive, Christian influence in these Packs/Troops that we can bring Scouts back to what it used to be. A Scout is reverent and in both the Cub Scout/Boy Scout Oath they talk about duty to God. Every Christian that is involved in Scouting can bring it back to what is used to be like in regards to our duty to God and giving Him the honor and glory for everything we do.

• Members

What John said about where the Scouts is located is definitely a huge part. I felt the need to be a leader so I am my older boys Den Leader and I also hold the position of Assistant Cub Master so I have my hands in most of the planning. It also helps we have many Christians that hold leadership positions. We pray often and always in Jesus' name. With that said, I've never been a part of a Pack/Troop that was like this...surely it's few and far between. Our first (and only so far) campout we had Scout's Church early Sunday morning and I gave the message from the Bible...it wasn't non-denominational or inter-denominational...it was Bible. And after that my boys and I packed up and went to real Church lol.

I've found that if I can get a foot in the door with Scouts and can be a positive, Christian influence in these Packs/Troops that we can bring Scouts back to what it used to be. A Scout is reverent and in both the Cub Scout/Boy Scout Oath they talk about duty to God. Every Christian that is involved in Scouting can bring it back to what is used to be like in regards to our duty to God and giving Him the honor and glory for everything we do.

:thumb: :amen:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

:thumb::amen:

I wish it was like that here. I know the lady that would have my sons in her group and although she is nice enough there is nothing christian about her. Unfortunately I think we are going to have to give scouts a miss and try for something else. We have a huge shortage of Christian men willing to stand up and get involved in such activities, it is very sad for our sons.