• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Distance To Church

Does anyone drive over 20 minutes to get to church? What is your reason?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does anyone drive over 20 minutes to get to church? What is your reason?

• No good church in my immediate area
    • Prefer my church over another of like faith that is closer
    • Love going on Sunday drives
    • Other

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Our church is approximately an hours drive away....give or take a few minutes depending on the traffic and or traffic lights at that particular time.
We travel to this church because it is the one we started to attend after we were saved. The person whom shared GOD's plan of salvation with me, belonged to this church before he and his wife moved away. The LORD has not guided us to leave and we have continued to attend this church since 1999. :mrgreen:

Guest Guest

I live about 5-10 minutes from church.

My husband and I live over an hour away from work.

We feel church is more important then work and it would be better to live closer to church then to work.

It is much harder to find a good church then it is a good job for us.

• Members

[quote]
We feel church is more important then work and it would be better to live closer to church then to work.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more. :) Sound doctrine and good fellowship are getting harder and harder to come by these days.

• Members

[quote="Lori Wilkerson"]
I hear you Chelle. I always think I am going to walk down to church, but somehow it never happens. It is just too easy to jump in the van and ride down the road.
[/quote]

I hear you right back! :D Maybe when the weather gets cooler we'll walk (say, like in 3 or 4 months :lol: )

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I really love my chrurch though I moved 15 miles further away from it a couple of years ago. If I weren't the Associate Pastor I don't know if I would switch unless gas gets to $5 or something. Even then I think it would be tough to find one as good as this no matter how far I drove.

• 4 weeks later...

It takes us an hour and a half to get to church one way. We're normally the first ones there when we get there too!!!

One thing I have noticed, is that most of the people who live 10 minutes away are normally always late.

We haven't went to church lately since the price of gas has risen so much, so we've been staying home having Bible studys here at the house!

• Members

[quote="Luke_the_Physician"]
We haven't went to church lately since the price of gas has risen so much, so we've been staying home having Bible studys here at the house!
[/quote]

I don't think this is too good an idea.....and recommend that you do some soul-searching about the situation.

From a mathematical point of view (involving a lot of speculation, I admit)....a 1 1/2 hour drive is probably 60 miles if there's some city driving and traffic involved. So if you attend 3 services a week (and don't spend Sunday afternoon in the town where the church is) that's 360 miles per week. If you have an average car, 20 mpg, that's 18 gallons of gas. Now gas is about 50 cents higher than it was before the panic...so we're talkin' about an extra $9.00 per week.

And I appreciate that $9. is $9. if you don't have it. I also know people who would buy you a tank of gas if your need was that great. Furthermore, if you just made one trip a week, which would be better than not attending at all...by a long shot.....the additional cost according to the parameters I established would be only $3.00/week.

Sometimes people have other reasons for laying out of church and grab onto some convenient popular excuse like the price of gas.......and, I admit, some people really don't have the money to buy any gasoline. I think the former outnumber the latter by a great quantity.

Just don't let the devil get you sidetracked......We all need to have Bible study at home, but we need to be in the gathering together of the saints as often as possible. The first does not obviate the second.

I understand your point, sweetwaterdog. It takes 1 1/2 hours to get to church one way 81 miles and it eats up the fuel. We did start just going on Sunday morning and leaving after the service.

Plus the fact, we can see how the church is going down hill and there are some things we do not agree with that are going on in the church.

Now I know what you'll say next. "Why didn't we talk to the Pastor about these issues." Well, we did. And he said we were straining at a gnat. And picking out the fly in the ointment.

So, we've just been staying home, hardly going anywhere and having Bible Studys (which as the Pastor says is "Home Churching" which it is and he's against "Home Churching")

So, we just haven't been going for awhile, but we haven't quit church, and we won't (unless it gets so corrupt that we have to Home Church.)

[quote="sweetwaterdog"]
I don't think this is too good an idea.....and recommend that you do some soul-searching about the situation.
[/quote]

Oh, and by the way, why wouldn't it be a good idea to not go to church and have Bible studys here at the house? It was good enough for the early Christians! They had "church" in their house. Sounds kinda like "Home Church", doesn't it?