• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Distance To Church

Does anyone drive over 20 minutes to get to church? What is your reason?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does anyone drive over 20 minutes to get to church? What is your reason?

• No good church in my immediate area
    • Prefer my church over another of like faith that is closer
    • Love going on Sunday drives
    • Other

• Members

[quote="Luke_the_Physician"]
[quote="sweetwaterdog"]I don't think this is too good an idea.....and recommend that you do some soul-searching about the situation.
[/quote]

It was good enough for the early Christians! They had "church" in their house. Sounds kinda like "Home Church", doesn't it?[/quote]

No, it doesn't.

You are either missing the point of the scriptural teaching or avoiding the point because it doesn't suit what you want to do.

The early church met in homes because there were no church building as we know them Many believers met together in fellowship and worship in one house. The Bible instructs us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together.

What you propose as an equivalent is meeting by yourself with your immediate family. This is not the same.....Obviously all those early believers were not meeting separately in their own homes, they met [i]together[/i]

Now if your problem with your church is more a matter of doctrine and practice than the price of gasoline that's what you need to deal with. Lots of people experience those problems. Lots of peoople here would try to help you and guide you in dealing with it; certainly we woould pray with you that God show you His will regarding the situation.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

[quote="sweetwaterdog"]
[quote="Luke_the_Physician"][quote="sweetwaterdog"]I don't think this is too good an idea.....and recommend that you do some soul-searching about the situation.
[/quote]

It was good enough for the early Christians! They had "church" in their house. Sounds kinda like "Home Church", doesn't it?[/quote]

No, it doesn't.

You are either missing the point of the scriptural teaching or avoiding the point because it doesn't suit what you want to do.

The early church met in homes because there were no church building as we know them Many believers met together in fellowship and worship in one house. The Bible instructs us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together.

What you propose as an equivalent is meeting by yourself with your immediate family. This is not the same.....Obviously all those early believers were not meeting separately in their own homes, they met [i]together[/i]

Now if your problem with your church is more a matter of doctrine and practice than the price of gasoline that's what you need to deal with. Lots of people experience those problems. Lots of peoople here would try to help you and guide you in dealing with it; certainly we woould pray with you that God show you His will regarding the situation.[/quote]

Amen sweetwaterdog!

We travel approximately an hour to church and another hour to return home. The price of gas affects us all, however I believe there are other functions that one should give up rather than missing attending church.

As some of you are already aware, we have considered changing churches but to this point we have not made any decisions. We are trusting in the LORD and looking to HIM for guidance and direction. In HIS perfect time HE will make our path clear.

[quote]
[/quote]

I am not missing the point. And I understand that you're supposed to be in an assembly, BUT when there are no other believers around and the price of fuel has jumped, and the church that you were attending is going south, then you have to meet in your house or find another Bible Believing church and move closer to it.

The Bible Says:

The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord,[u] [b][size=18]with the church that is in their house[/size][/b][/u]. I Corinthians 16:19

Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, [b][u][size=18]and the church which is in his house[/size][/u].[/b] Colossians 4:15

And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, [b][u][size=18]and to the church in thy house[/size][/u][/b]: Philemon 1:2

• 1 month later...
  • Members

[quote]
I do not think that driving that far( an hour + ) is considered attending a LOCAL church. IMHO
[/quote]

But what if the local church does not believe as you do. As far as I can tell, the church I pastor is the only IBF church in the entire county. There are other Baptist churches, but they are Southern Baptists and Regular Baptists mostly.

One of our families lives 45 miles from our church. They attend our church because the next closest IBF church is 65 miles from their house in the opposite direction, in another state.

The nearest small town is 10 miles away and only has a United Methodist church. Where are the Baptists in that town supposed to go?

Local church is Scriptural, but local church doesn't necessarily mean the closest church to you.

Mitch