• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bakershalfdozen

Distance To Church

Does anyone drive over 20 minutes to get to church? What is your reason?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does anyone drive over 20 minutes to get to church? What is your reason?

• No good church in my immediate area
    • Prefer my church over another of like faith that is closer
    • Love going on Sunday drives
    • Other

Our church is approximately an hours drive away....give or take a few minutes depending on the traffic and or traffic lights at that particular time.
We travel to this church because it is the one we started to attend after we were saved. The person whom shared GOD's plan of salvation with me, belonged to this church before he and his wife moved away. The LORD has not guided us to leave and we have continued to attend this church since 1999. :mrgreen:

[quote="Tim"]
At a brisk pace (walking) I can be at church less than five minutes. :D
[/quote]

That's a good clip, Tim! :D If we walked at that pace, it'd take us between 5 and 7 minutes. :D

Guest Guest
I live about 5-10 minutes from church.

My husband and I live over an hour away from work.

We feel church is more important then work and it would be better to live closer to church then to work.

It is much harder to find a good church then it is a good job for us.

[quote]
We feel church is more important then work and it would be better to live closer to church then to work.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more. :) Sound doctrine and good fellowship are getting harder and harder to come by these days.

[quote="Lori Wilkerson"]
We live about 2 minutes from our church. I love being so close!!!
[/quote]

We do too! :D We'd probably walk if it weren't so hot & humid during the summer.

[quote="Lori Wilkerson"]
I hear you Chelle. I always think I am going to walk down to church, but somehow it never happens. It is just too easy to jump in the van and ride down the road.
[/quote]

I hear you right back! :D Maybe when the weather gets cooler we'll walk (say, like in 3 or 4 months :lol: )

I really love my chrurch though I moved 15 miles further away from it a couple of years ago. If I weren't the Associate Pastor I don't know if I would switch unless gas gets to $5 or something. Even then I think it would be tough to find one as good as this no matter how far I drove.

Guest Guest
It takes us an hour and a half to get to church one way. We're normally the first ones there when we get there too!!!

One thing I have noticed, is that most of the people who live 10 minutes away are normally always late.

We haven't went to church lately since the price of gas has risen so much, so we've been staying home having Bible studys here at the house!

[quote="Luke_the_Physician"]
We haven't went to church lately since the price of gas has risen so much, so we've been staying home having Bible studys here at the house!
[/quote]

I don't think this is too good an idea.....and recommend that you do some soul-searching about the situation.

From a mathematical point of view (involving a lot of speculation, I admit)....a 1 1/2 hour drive is probably 60 miles if there's some city driving and traffic involved. So if you attend 3 services a week (and don't spend Sunday afternoon in the town where the church is) that's 360 miles per week. If you have an average car, 20 mpg, that's 18 gallons of gas. Now gas is about 50 cents higher than it was before the panic...so we're talkin' about an extra $9.00 per week.

And I appreciate that $9. is $9. if you don't have it. I also know people who would buy you a tank of gas if your need was that great. Furthermore, if you just made one trip a week, which would be better than not attending at all...by a long shot.....the additional cost according to the parameters I established would be only $3.00/week.

Sometimes people have other reasons for laying out of church and grab onto some convenient popular excuse like the price of gas.......and, I admit, some people really don't have the money to buy any gasoline. I think the former outnumber the latter by a great quantity.

Just don't let the devil get you sidetracked......We all need to have Bible study at home, but we need to be in the gathering together of the saints as often as possible. The first does not obviate the second.

Guest Guest
I understand your point, sweetwaterdog. It takes 1 1/2 hours to get to church one way 81 miles and it eats up the fuel. We did start just going on Sunday morning and leaving after the service.

Plus the fact, we can see how the church is going down hill and there are some things we do not agree with that are going on in the church.

Now I know what you'll say next. "Why didn't we talk to the Pastor about these issues." Well, we did. And he said we were straining at a gnat. And picking out the fly in the ointment.

So, we've just been staying home, hardly going anywhere and having Bible Studys (which as the Pastor says is "Home Churching" which it is and he's against "Home Churching")

So, we just haven't been going for awhile, but we haven't quit church, and we won't (unless it gets so corrupt that we have to Home Church.)

Guest Guest
[quote="sweetwaterdog"]
I don't think this is too good an idea.....and recommend that you do some soul-searching about the situation.
[/quote]

Oh, and by the way, why wouldn't it be a good idea to not go to church and have Bible studys here at the house? It was good enough for the early Christians! They had "church" in their house. Sounds kinda like "Home Church", doesn't it?

[quote="Luke_the_Physician"]
[quote="sweetwaterdog"]I don't think this is too good an idea.....and recommend that you do some soul-searching about the situation.
[/quote]

It was good enough for the early Christians! They had "church" in their house. Sounds kinda like "Home Church", doesn't it?[/quote]

No, it doesn't.

You are either missing the point of the scriptural teaching or avoiding the point because it doesn't suit what you want to do.

The early church met in homes because there were no church building as we know them Many believers met together in fellowship and worship in one house. The Bible instructs us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together.

What you propose as an equivalent is meeting by yourself with your immediate family. This is not the same.....Obviously all those early believers were not meeting separately in their own homes, they met [i]together[/i]

Now if your problem with your church is more a matter of doctrine and practice than the price of gasoline that's what you need to deal with. Lots of people experience those problems. Lots of peoople here would try to help you and guide you in dealing with it; certainly we woould pray with you that God show you His will regarding the situation.

[quote="sweetwaterdog"]
[quote="Luke_the_Physician"][quote="sweetwaterdog"]I don't think this is too good an idea.....and recommend that you do some soul-searching about the situation.
[/quote]

It was good enough for the early Christians! They had "church" in their house. Sounds kinda like "Home Church", doesn't it?[/quote]

No, it doesn't.

You are either missing the point of the scriptural teaching or avoiding the point because it doesn't suit what you want to do.

The early church met in homes because there were no church building as we know them Many believers met together in fellowship and worship in one house. The Bible instructs us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together.

What you propose as an equivalent is meeting by yourself with your immediate family. This is not the same.....Obviously all those early believers were not meeting separately in their own homes, they met [i]together[/i]

Now if your problem with your church is more a matter of doctrine and practice than the price of gasoline that's what you need to deal with. Lots of people experience those problems. Lots of peoople here would try to help you and guide you in dealing with it; certainly we woould pray with you that God show you His will regarding the situation.[/quote]

Amen sweetwaterdog!

We travel approximately an hour to church and another hour to return home. The price of gas affects us all, however I believe there are other functions that one should give up rather than missing attending church.

As some of you are already aware, we have considered changing churches but to this point we have not made any decisions. We are trusting in the LORD and looking to HIM for guidance and direction. In HIS perfect time HE will make our path clear.

Guest Guest
[quote]
[/quote]

I am not missing the point. And I understand that you're supposed to be in an assembly, BUT when there are no other believers around and the price of fuel has jumped, and the church that you were attending is going south, then you have to meet in your house or find another Bible Believing church and move closer to it.

The Bible Says:

The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord,[u] [b][size=18]with the church that is in their house[/size][/b][/u]. I Corinthians 16:19

Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, [b][u][size=18]and the church which is in his house[/size][/u].[/b] Colossians 4:15

And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, [b][u][size=18]and to the church in thy house[/size][/u][/b]: Philemon 1:2

Yo, Podner Luke! Always good to see anudder cowpoke online!!! At our church if you are Filipina, Indian or African late is just a part of yer thang. I suspect the only thing they will be on time fer is there funeral.

[quote="MavMin"]
At our church if you are Filipina, Indian or African late is just a part of yer thang.
[/quote]

I'm surprised y'all don't have a designated area for "those people" to sit so they don't disturb the white folks with their aboriginal antics.

(Shouldn't that post be moved to the KKK thread?)

Hi Guys

Where we are the price of gasoline is ±30 bucks [equivalent exchange] per litre (not per gallon). We travel 30 min one way. The nearest other IFB church is 80 km one way (in the opposite direction).

Mountainview

I live ½ mile from church and am the only member out of 65 that lives inside the town limit. Even our Pastor lives 3½ miles from the church, which is right in the middle of our little town of 1,000.