• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why I AM Against Drums (Especially In Christian Music)

Jerry

• Members

I agree with PE, I think drums are great in some music (not rock, country, etc) but personally I feel they have no place at church.

Although I know church orchestras sometimes have them...and cymbals, which are mentioned in the Bible.

Cymbals are not used to keep a beat though are they...drums are. Should we accentuate a beat in our Christian music?

• Members

Dear Kitagirl,

You wrote: [quote]
I agree with PE, I think drums are great in some music (not rock, country, etc) but personally I feel they have no place at church.

Although I know church orchestras sometimes have them...and cymbals, which are mentioned in the Bible.

[b]Cymbals are not used to keep a beat though are they...drums are.[/b] Should we accentuate a beat in our Christian music?
[/quote]

Regarding your closing statement about "accenting a beat"... Why not?

If you go to http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html
and click on the rudiment names,you'll be able to read the notations and hear the rudiments played at various tempos.

And if you go to: http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drums ... ncler.html You'll see how the rudiments relate to the drumset and where the cymbals come in as [b]part of the rhythm! [/b]

Further regarding cymbals and rhythm...Just watch the drumlines of your local high school or college band and focus on the cymbal lines and you'll see that rhythms can be played on cymbals.

Also, listen to what the drummer on a song is playing.

Cymbals and drums are used to keep time and tempo in songs.

In Christ,

Dale