• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can someone be saved by reading the NIV?

• Members

I was given a paperback NT about twelve years ago by a youth pastor that was going door-to-door. He invited me to his church and I said I would go, but being the unsaved liar that I was, I didn't go. I put that NT one one of my shelves and forgot about it.

Five years ago I was still an unsaved liar, but I was also a drunkard and a whoremonger. One night, sitting on my bed and disgusted with myself and with life, I remembered that paperback NT and found it under a pile of junk. I opened it and in the front cover, there was a brief intro about basically what I was going through and that Jesus Christ was the only answer.

It said "turn to page..." and I turned. Rom. 3:10,23. On the bottom of the page it said "now turn to page..." and I turned and underlined was Rom. 6:23. You get the picture. After being taken through the Romans Road and other passages, Ephesians, Revelation, it took me to the back cover where it explained that the only way to heaven was through Jesus with Jn. 3:16,14:6 cited, etc. Then there was a question and a sinner's prayer.

I wanted at that moment to be saved so I prayed to God that sinners prayer and added my own words. That night I got saved! The first thing the Holy Spirit did was to give me a desire to go to church, which I did and made my profession public, then got baptized. The next (and greatest besides salvation) thing He did was to guide me to the AV1611.

I thought since I was a young, modern guy I should read the modern translation. When I did, it was like eating stale crackers. My mom gave me a nice leather Bible, a KJV. When I read it it was like listening to classical music, I mean it flowed like silk.

I didn't have any clue about any Bible version issue, but I knew there was something about the KJV. I tried two or three other versions just to make sure but they were all like stale crackers. And I actually noticed that they said something [i]different[/i] than the KJV. So I stuck with the AV ever since and now I am just as militant about it as anybody. I don't even pass out tracts that aren't KJV (unless their are no others available at that moment).

What disturbs me is this: I have heard a few people and preachers, even good ones, state on more than one occasion that unless you got saved from a KJV you aren't saved.

What gives?

I have 100% security in mine. So I think this is an aweful teaching, especially for the babes in Christ and those weaker brethren.

What thinkest thou???

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wasn't led to the Lord through the KJV - so [i]obviously [/i]you do not need one to get saved** - however, having a watered-down Bible WILL affect your growth in Christ.

**I do not know how much harder it would be to get saved through a modern version if you were reading it by yourself - but if someone was doing a Gospel presentation using one, they could use the passages that were the clearest out of it; whereas if you were just reading it, it might be harder to get the full picture by yourself. (Though, truly, it is the Holy Spirit that will open your eyes to the truth - knowing if you were sincere or not, and could emphasize certain verses even out of a modern version that will lead you to Him.) I do believe that there IS enough truth in an MV to get saved, and even to grow somewhat (I have not been KJVonly since the moment I got saved - only since the end of 97 - got saved five years before that) - but it will be limited, and I do believe that there will be some junk to sort out afterwards due to the passages that have been changed, as was my case.

• Members

That's a Ruckmanite teaching that it must be KJV.

My husband puts it like this...the NIV is not THE Word of God, but it CONTAINS the Word of God, enough so that one can get saved using the Word it contains.

• Members

[quote]
I thought since I was a young, modern guy I should read the modern translation. When I did, it was like eating stale crackers. My mom gave me a nice leather Bible, a KJV. When I read it it was like listening to classical music, I mean it flowed like silk.
[/quote]

Isn't it beautiful? :) I love the way you put it, too -- "flowed like silk" -- not at all like the MV's. In their attempts to make it easier to understand, they've only succeeded in making it more confusing. :roll:

I tell ya, I was saved reading the NIV too, and also grew up reading a lot of different (per)versions. It wasn't until I met my husband (who was also saved reading the NIV but was later shown the true path by a very good friend :D ) that I started reading the KJV. I thought it would be difficult to understand. I was surprised at how easy it was (especially after having been forced to read Shakespeare in high school). Moreover, the Holy Spirit will help a believer understand anything in God's Word if he/she is willing. :)

• Members

[quote]
Moreover, the Holy Spirit will help a believer understand anything in God's Word if he/she is willing.
[/quote]

Truly, that is the key.

John 7:17 [i][b]If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine,[/b] whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.[/i]

• Members

Man, I would like to include a quote here from all y'all, y'all make great comments.

I totally agree that most MVs [i]contain[/i] God's word and also believe that God, through His divine providence and infinite mercy, has actually [i]preserved[/i] most of the clear salvation passages so that those of us who were searching, or at least would believe, would come to know Christ. But then the Holy Spirit would begin His sactification work in us and if we were sensitive and submissive to Him we will be led to the truth, which is of course that God is not the author of confusion and that CLEARLY the AV was the Book of the English speaking peoples.

I've known many good, God fearing Christians who are in the HIV, oops, NIV but without exception their Christian standards are lower than what I Peter 1:16 tells us to strive for all across the board.

Usually they have one of two things that prevents them from even exploring seriously the KJB: they are too proud, or too scared. Too proud to admit that they were wrong or misguided about God's true Word (not that there would even need to be anything to be ashamed of if, after they were shown the truth they would just simply align themselves with it)because their faith in [i]themselves[/i] would be shaken. Too scared of what others would think.

I see in some of those brethren the potential to do great things for God if only they were in the pure Book. Without a doubt, Satan is a genius. (Not that this could ever be considered anything good :shock: )

• Members

I've known several people who were saved reading from a modern version. However, I believe as soon as possible, a saved person should get their hands on a KJV so they can take in the pure milk of the Word and digest the true meat of the Word as God enables them.

[quote="Kitagrl"]
That's a Ruckmanite teaching that it must be KJV [in order to be saved].
[/quote]

I apologize for not introducing myself, but I will get to that as soon as possible. First, however, I wish to address the outrageous statement that I quoted at the top of my post.

I would like you to defend your charge, or retract it. I know that you are a Mod, but that does not give you the right to make blatantly false statements like this. Dr. Peter S. Ruckman has never taught that it is not possible to get saved with a Modern Version; of course he will tell you that it produces more bad fruit than good, but he would NEVER say that someone cannot get saved out of a modern perversion.

Thank you for your time.

• Members

[quote="MC1171611"]
Dr. Peter S. Ruckman has never taught that it is not possible to get saved with a Modern Version; of course he will tell you that it produces more bad fruit than good, but he would NEVER say that someone
[/quote]

For the sake of the argument, let's say that you are right and Ruckman has himself never made these types of statements - there are enough people claiming to be followers of Ruckman that have; therefore it is easy to see someone believing Ruckman himself spoke like this.

Either way, Ruckman is a man and has made many claims that were not Biblical. Don't follow a man, follow the Bible - and any man only as much as he lines up with it.

• Members

I apologize, I cannot find proof of what I said about getting saved under what version, so I will retract that statement...at least for now.

However Ruckman is not a good man...

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/discussion.htm

Plus, if he calls the NASV what he did in the above link, I don't see how he could believe one could get saved out of that particular version.

• Members

I have to agree with Jerry and Kitagrl, here.

There is something else that we need to see:::::::

Just because Dr Ruckman may not have that statement out in print, does not mean that he does not teach it and preach it. Here's why:::::::::::

[i][b]"More is caught than taught."[/b][/i]

Do you remember Gamaliel from the book of Acts, and what he said to his fellow Sanhedrin members.

[quote]
Acts 5:34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;

Acts 5:35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.

Acts 5:36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

Acts 5:37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

Acts 5:38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

Acts 5:39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.
[/quote]

We see from this that apparently he taught his students to just let God sort things out, and not fight this new movement of Christianity. But did he, though???

Saul of Tarsus was Gamaliel's star pupil, and we know what he did before he was saved and converted.

[quote]
Acts 22:3 I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, [b]yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.[/b]
[/quote]

[b]We know that every teacher will teach by words and also by body language and inference.[/b]

• Members

[quote="booklover2004"]
The same could be said about the various revisions of the KJV (1611, 1769, etc...)
[/quote]

BUT that would be a statement based on error and ignorance. The NIV is not God's Word because it is translated from corrupt manuscripts, which add to and take away from God's preserved Word.

1611 was the original translation of the KJV.

1769 is one of the four "Revisions" - and these revisions were basically correcting printing errors and updating spelling. These [i]facts [/i]can easily be verified with a little research. A good place you can start, if you care about truth, is the following two articles:

[b][url=http://www.earnestlycontending.com/ewministries/others/myths.html]Myth Of Early Revisions[/url][/b]

[b][url=http://www.earnestlycontending.com/ewministries/others/printingerrors.html]What About Those Printing Errors In The 1611 Holy Bible?[/url][/b]

First of all, Dr. Cloud, the man whose site you linked to, is a TR man, not just a King James only man. Were there a translation from the TR that he thought was "superior," he would most likely throw the King James Bible out in a heartbeat. Anyhow, Doc (Ruckman) turns out dozens of pastors, teachers, and misionaries from PBI (Pensacola Bible Institute) every year, and like most other groups, not all of his graduates agree completely with what he teaches. The people that theach this stupid idea of King James only Salvation could be persons like that; learned but do not totally agree. I personally believe that almost every modern bersion contains enough of the Word of God to lead them to Salvation, just like a dumpster, no matter how filthy and disgusting, may contain [i]some[/i] good food.

I know at least four PBI graduates (one of them happens to be my Senior Pastor), and I know for a fact that they believe as I do on this issue. Good grief, people get saved out of a Wordless Book all of the time! It sometimes takes only a little bit of the Word to lead someone to Christ.