• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cake toy poll

Which one should I get?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I get?

• Better edible images set up $300
    • Small edible images set up $200
    • Airbrush system complete for $300

• Members

I am trying to decide which one to save up for using birthday money and some extra Paypal money. Not sure how much I will get, might have to save longer. I am either looking at getting an airbrush (specially for cakes), which all said and done including colors and cleaner and shipping will be close to $300 (I have been told by decorators I do not want the cheaper one as it has no air pressure control). OR an edible image printer which I can get, counting shipping, for close to $200 all said and done or a nicer one with seperate ink cartriges (only replace a color at a time) all said and done for $300. I did price one of the printers elsewhere and its just as cheap to get the set up from the below site than to purchase the printer at a regular store and buy supplies from them seperately.

I think the airbrush would be more fun...however the edible images would be easier to learn and also seems like it would be a good marketing tool to be able to put people's photos on cakes. I am leaning towards getting the edible image one and then using the proceeds from cake sales to save up for an airbrush. But then I am not too sure if I should get the cheaper edible image set up or the next size up, not sure how much use it would get. I don't want to spend too much money, but then if I find I use it alot I don't want to waste money by upgrading again. Also the seperate ink cartriges is a neat idea, so you don't throw away your cartridge when one color is out.

The links for the two items are here:
http://www.kopykake.com/cd_compressor_airmaster.html
http://www.icingimages.com/systems.php?link=2

I know its alot of money and I am not sure how much I will have by my birthday... I have about $50 in Paypal right now. I want this to be sort of an investment to add another facet to sell cakes.

Ideas?

• Members

I've just made your decision a tad more challenging (yeah right :lol: ). :wink:

I chose the better edible imaging system because I've always thought it was cool that people can actually print edible photos to put on cakes. But judging from the pictures I've seen of your cakes on your site, Suzy, you've obviously got a very steady hand. I think the airbrush system would be a good one too. It depends on what you want to do more -- freehand drawing and "painting" on cakes, or be able to design a complete image and just have it print out all nicely. The advantage I can see to the E.I. system is that you can play around with it on the screen before you print it. The airbrushing is more, shall we say, "final". :D

Just my :2cents

• Members

The main thing I am seeing about the edible images is getting into the market of printing people's photos on cakes. They can just email me a digital photo of their grad and I can slap it on a cake, add a border and some other decorations, and its "easy money"....

The airbrush would definately be more artistic and fun, but not sure if it would "expand my clientele" like the edible image thing would.

However there is a chance the photo cake idea would not catch on at all...however there is also a chance the airbrush could sit in a drawer, too. Soooo...thanks for the thoughts...any others?

• Members

Yes you can print anything on the edible image thing...its actually just a regular Canon printer (you have to use a brand new one of course if you are using it for food) and then edible ink cartridges, and then icing sheets for the "paper".

• Members

Hmmm looks like its coming together....

Thanks for all the opinions!

Funny, on a ladies board I am on I had more votes for the airbrush, but not as many voted there...overall counting both, I still have more for the $300 edible image set.