• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do Methodist belives they can lose salvation?

Guest Guest

While In the hospital a united methodist women minister(we won't bother w/ that!) come to visit. I' m clearly listed as Baptist so I don't know why she came to my room!!?? Felt like the Lord was telling me to just ask her Questions so I did. We were able to get really far thru salvation by grace, repentance etc. but then I ask her if they thought they could lose their salvation and she said yes!! but only if they did a a realy ,really bad thing! So I began to ask her for examples but two dr.s I HAD to see came in and our conversation ended. So can anyone tell me about this? Do United Methodist believe they can lose their salvation?? Pixiedust :puzzled:

• Members

I couldn't find a solid answer, but I found this.

"And what of eternal security or once saved always saved? We never find any such phrase in the scriptures, much less in the Greek text, that says such or that one can never lose salvation. Wesley affirmed that one could fall from grace and lose salvation. Here is what he said. "I believe a saint may fall away; that one who is holy or righteous in the judgment of God himself may nevertheless so fall from God as to perish everlastingly." Today many within the conservative movements within the United Methodist Church, such as the Good News people and even some in the Confession Movement could care less about this doctrine. Their reason for this avoidance is that we must understand how important it is to have a catholic spirit in such matters. That is why they allow those from outside the United Methodist Church to bring in their doctrines. Doctrines that will cause splits in UM Churches if United Methodist pastors would preach Methodist them. Of course if this happens the pastors will get the blame when they should be hailed as great men for standing."

http://www.imarc.cc/edit/harted_19.html

• Members

I know I was only a child but I grew up attending Methodist Sunday school and what I gathered from that was the idea if I was really good I'd go to heaven but if I was bad I'd end up in hell. Along with this was the idea this was all fluid, as if I were heavenbound so long as I was good but if I did something bad (never a clear definition of what that meant so to my young mind just about anything wrong could fit) I would then be hellbound.

Today a great many Methodist churches stand for very little. They have purposefully watered down their beliefs and purposefully avoid taking "controversial" stands on things in order to appear to be open and accepting of anyone. They even advertise that anyone with any beliefs are welcome; with the clear indication they will not be expected to change their beliefs regardless of what they may be.

• Members

I will say this, there are Methodist that do not believe you can lose your salvation, but you will generally find them in the country churches and they will not be a part of the United Methodist.

Sad to say, United Methodist has gone very liberal in the last few years.

Something I found.

<<"Through baptism, we accept God's gifts through Jesus. There is no strict rule among United Methodists about how baptism must be performed, although sprinkling water on the head of the person being baptized is most common. Everyone is accepted and welcome at the communion table, whether members of the Church or not, kids or adults.">>

http://unitedmethodist.org/mquest4.html

That makes it sound as if they believe that salvation comes thru baptizing.

• Members

I had never head of them, but you can find out about this on this site.

http://www.freemethodistchurch.org/Sect ... hodist.htm

There's tons of Free Methodists around my area. I was kind of surprised that you never heard of them. I don't know what they stand for (probably nothing...jk), but I do remember going to a Vacation Bible School at a Free Methodist Church for several years when I was a kid.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Yes, I believe the United Methodists do believe that they can lose their salvation. Of course, that isn't the only false thing that they believe. They believe that Jesus is truly present in communion. They believe that abortion can be justified in more circumstances than just when the mother's life is in danger. They believe that women can be preachers. They believe a lot of false stuff and are a fairly liberal group of people.

• Members

From what I've read about the founder of the Methodist denomination, John Wesley, he never came right out and said a Christian can lose his salvation but that it APPEARED from scripture that it possibly could happen. Now what happens is the follows of a founder of any denomination or sect usually take his teachings to the extreme. So most today, if they believe in salvation at all, teach that you can lose it. I have to admit though, I have never read Wesley's writings but just a biograpy about him.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I know I was only a child but I grew up attending Methodist Sunday school and what I gathered from that was the idea if I was really good I'd go to heaven but if I was bad I'd end up in hell. Along with this was the idea this was all fluid, as if I were heavenbound so long as I was good but if I did something bad (never a clear definition of what that meant so to my young mind just about anything wrong could fit) I would then be hellbound.

Today a great many Methodist churches stand for very little. They have purposefully watered down their beliefs and purposefully avoid taking "controversial" stands on things in order to appear to be open and accepting of anyone. They even advertise that anyone with any beliefs are welcome; with the clear indication they will not be expected to change their beliefs regardless of what they may be.

John, I grew up in a Methodist church as well and was taught the same idea's!!My parents attend a Methodist church. It is growing in leaps and bounds and have many activites to "outreach to the community" My mom claims salvation and when I go thru Romans road she is right on the money yet she's never even persued Baptism. ass well I've not seen fruit! She did fall in love with tracts at our church but when she ask why they don't have them at her church...she was actually told by the head Pastor's wife that we don't need those because we grow people here not trying to "get them saved" My response when mom told me was,"Huh?"(as my mom alway's points out "She's a ordained Pastor in her own right!!) My stepdad attends, does his Deacon job, gives money toward special projects but goes to sleep everytime during service. Last time we went to visit they only had NIV Bible's in the pew's and it was a day they were having the Lord's Supper. They now all go up frt. take the wafer and drinK from one large chalis!! Growing up I never saw that!! My mom is concerned for my stepdad's salvation but says he was a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athelete so maybe he just hasn't grown. She is concerned for my brother as well and wants my son to witness to him BUT not go over to his Christian College Campus!!! Out of her concern she has given them both "The Message"and then I lost it! She wanted to know what the problem is?? I told her because it doesn't even have the message !!! I have given all thre of them KJV Bibles especially because I feel responsible that my mom uses the NIV. I helped her find it so she could read it. I was witnessing to her (out of the KJV) but she preferred the NIV and at that time I didn't know any better. I even bought my husband a NIV when he got saved but I used a KJV. I did later get a NIV like his but somehow never felt I was growing during that time. I just thought it was personnal preferance then so I went back to my KJV. Only later was our family convicted over the KJV being God's Word. My husband has never read his KJV like he did his NIV. I feel so responsible but I did what I knew at the time and I know the LORD understands. Cann't believe I poured all this out but people don't understand how false the Methodist church has become!! I've seen up close (went to a ladied Bible Study while visitng my mom. Only one very elderly lady and I would ask certain questins and she was right on!! Then when we rad a Bible verse or two I realized she had a KJV Bible!!! I've never been so excited...as she seemed to be as well!!! We ended up witnessing the the entire Bile Study. I've really encouraged my mom to visit her on a regular basis and she does. Mom say's," I just love her there is something sooo different about her!" yea, she's saved!!! PPeople be careful they will use the correct word's but their diffinitions are different!!! Witness to them ...they need saving!!!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I felt a need to comment on a few things.

I grew up a United Methodist and still hold that church in a special place in my heart. I was never taught nor did I hear that a Christian could lose their salvation, however, I am really not sure what the official position of the UMC is. I do know that the UMC encourages each member to ask questions and study for themselves. That is, there is a place for inquisitive minds and for people to search the Bible for themselves. You could ask 10 different Methodists about 1 question (not how one gets saved, but another issue) and get 10 different answers.

Also, Methodists do not, and I repeat DO NOT believe that baptism saves. Baptism is a sacrament, which is an outward sign of God's grace. A person is saved when they make a conscious choice to accept that grace.

I'm also not sure how you can say that "a great many Methodist Churches stand for very little." Most Methodist churches are very active in the world and their communities and are show God's love on this earth like few people I have ever met. Ever heard of Salkehatchie? It's a program that I participated in and is still going on today. Youth and adults spend parts of their summers sleeping on gym floors and repairing homes for people who barely have homes to begin with. It's about helping people pure and simple. I'm not sure how you can stand for something more Christ-like than that.

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:35

• Members

CPR,

I don't know much about Methodist so I won't comment on that. What I wanted to add and/or ask is what else was done when those people help build homes for those that didn't have any?

It sounds and I'm sure is a GREAT thing those people are doing but are they also preaching the word of God while doing it? Is there any soul winning being done? Because, you can build a house for someone but they are still going to hell if they aren't saved. A rich man could come and give a bum on a street a house, a car, food, a job but it wouldn't be even close to someone coming and leading him to Christ.

I don't want to marginalize what was done, but I feel churches that actually go out and soul win are blessed more of God than those that just give material things to the community.

:twocents:

• Members

Good works won't save us and what appears to be good works isn't necessarily a sign of love for others.

Mormons and Catholics (for two examples) also do a great deal of "good"; whether it be providing food, clothing and shelter or whatever. That doesn't mean they are saved or are showing any Christian love.