• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wartime rations

• Members

I was a child here in England during the war when food was severely rationed.

Wartime Rations (These rations went up and down according to what was available, perhaps when the Atlantic convoys got through.)

Bacon and ham: 4oz (100g)
Meat: To the value of 1s.2d (6p today).Sausages were not rationed but difficult to get; offal (liver, kidneys, tripes) was originally unrationed but sometimes formed part of the meat ration.
Cheese: 2oz(50g)
Margarine: 4oz (100g) (No branded, only "National Margerine"
Butter: 2oz (50g)
Milk: 3 pints(1800ml) occasionally dropping to 2 pints (1200ml). Household milk (skimmed or dried) was available : 1 packet per four weeks.
Sugar: 8oz (225g).
Jam: 1lb (450g) every two months.
Tea: 2oz (50g).
Eggs: 1fresh egg a week if available but often only one every two weeks. Dried eggs 1 packet every four weeks.
Sweets: 12oz (350g) every four weeks
My father grew vegetables and later kept rabbits and hens so we had a little extra meat and eggs. They were fed on vegetable scraps and oatmeal when we could get it. Children were given cod liver oil (urg) and concentrated orange juice. They were also given a third of an English pint of milk at school during school days.
Olive oil was only available at chemists in small bottles for earache.

My wife was found to be allergic to meat and fish especially cod liver oil and was put on a vegetarian ration in which she was given a small extra cheese ration instead of meat.

I was reminded of all this when I saw 92 year old Marguerite Patten on Ready Steady Cook last week where she presented the chef with a wartime ration. Marguerite Patten was one of the pioneering TV chefs over here.

The programme may be viewed here, but I believe it is only available for a limited time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hjfbh/Ready_Steady_Cook_Series_20_Episode_12 This is no longer available.

• Members

That's very interesting. My parents, and especially grandparents, remember(ed) the wartime rations and would talk of them.

Of course back then in this very rural area most folks raised and hunted a great deal of their own food anyway so the rations mostly affected them with regards to things they couldn't raise or make themselves.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

My grandmother spoke to me about WWII ration's in the U>S> and things she did to get thru and still make nutritious meals. I've continued to use many of the things she did then to save money as she has as well. I saw a book about WWII rations and the reciepies listed in the newspaper daily to help women, I regret to this day not buying it!! We really need to remember to cherish what the Lord give's us. To "repurpose" things as grandma has always said and to always make "planned overs" never left overs! The difference is you make more of the one meal knowing how you'll use it to make a completely different meal. Most of the time, not having money or more isn't the problem but it's how we use His gift's to us.

• Members

Mum used to do a roast on Sunday when we had enough meat. She used to save her ration coupons till she had enough. She then roast it on Sunday, stewed some of the leftover on Monday, and minced the remainder and made shepherd's pie on Tuesday. The rest of the time we had something made with corned beef or dried eggs, or sausages which did not have much meat and were mostly made of bread, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

We don't have a TV, so a lot of out entertainment comes from listening to old radio shows and I know that a lot of them make reference to rationing, such as a recent Amos and Andy show, where Kingfish was trying to get around rationing and Amos and Andy had to set him straight.

Also, there was a Jack Benny episode where Rochester had to figure out what to substitute for what when cooking and ended up unwittingly making moonshine (much to the delight of Phil Harris and the boys in the band, naturally).

Finally, a Red Skelton show that, ironically, was censored and was not released until several years later. While the show was actually in defense of rationing and scolded those who didn't abide by rationing laws, or bought goods on the black market, the rationing board felt that he was mocking them and did not allow the show to be broadcast on the West Coast.

OBviously, all of these are fictional shows, but they all dealt pretty accurately with current events, so it's an interesting look at rationing for someone like me, who was born shortly after WWII.

My mother and grandmother both have homes here on our farm and they talk about rationing every now and then.

Finally, my uncle, who owned a popular butcher shop in WWII has all sorts of stories to tell about rationing and having his shop broken into, as well as having to collect chicken fat and bacon grease to turn over to the government to make bombs out of.

• Members

We also had the black market over here as well. Those who sold things on the black market were known as "Spivs" or "Wide Boys".

There were those shop keepers who sold things "under the counter" If they had a little left over they put it under the counter for their favoured customers.

Dad had a few chickens at the end of the war and they were fed on kitchen scraps, potato peelings and cormeal. As a result we had more eggs than other people. And I can remember saying "Oh not eggs again." Dad was not in the army as he had extremely bad eyesight and was drafted into the Fire Service instead. He used to teach at Sunday School and I can remember him say that when other children rarely had eggs, one little boy he knew who's father kept chickems said "Oh not eggs again." I was somewhat embarrassed. I was 7 when the war ended.

• Members

We also had the black market over here as well. Those who sold things on the black market were knon as "Spivs" or "Wide Boys".

There were those shop keepers who sold things "under the counter" If they had a little left over they put it under the counter for their favoured customers.

Dad had a few chickens at the end of the war and they were fed on kitchen scraps, potato peelings and cormeal. As a result we had more eggs than other people. And I can remember saying "Oh not eggs again." Dad was not in the army as he had extremely bad eyesight and was drafted into the Fire Service instead. He used to teach at Sunday School and I can remember him say that when other children rarely had eggs, one little boy he knew who's father kept chickems said "Oh not eggs again." I was somewhat embarrassed. I was 7 when the war ended.

Thanks for sharing that, Invicta. I am a former history teacher (not that you would ever know from my grammar) and I've always been fascinated by first hand accounts.

I like your name, by the way. When I was a boy, I had to memorize Henley's "Invictus" and it's been one of my favorite poems ever since.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

The years from 1940 to 1950 were a terrible period for families struggling to keep alive during the ebb and flow of war. Rationing and shortages meant that housewives were forced to provide meals for their children from very little or almost nothing

By 1980 things had grown better - but then the 'fast-food' invasion arrived and traditional dishes, hand-made by mothers, began to disappear as 'convenience' became more important than 'quality'.
Here are some recipies of that time.....

Mock Goose
Quantity 4 helpings

Ingredients
1 and a half lb Potatoes
2 large cooking apples
4 oz cheese
half a teaspoon dried sage
salt and pepper
three quarters of a pint vegetable stock
1 tablespoon flour

Cooking time 1 hour
Scrub and slice potatoes thinly, slice apples, grate cheese. Grease a fireproof dish, place a layer of potatoes on it, cover with apples and a little sage, season lightly and sprinkle with cheese, repeat layers leaving potat oes and cheese to cover. Pour in half a pint of the stock and cook in a moderate oven for three quarters of an hour. Blend flour with remainder of the stock, pour into dish and cook for another quarter hour. Serve as a main dish with a green vegetable.

Honey cakes
Cooking time about 15 Mins
Ingredients
1 level teaspoon sugar
2 and a half oz. margarine
2 Level tablespoons honey
6 oz self raising flour
1 level teaspoon cinnamon.
Quantity 16 to 20

Beat together the sugar and margarine until the mixture is soft and creamy, then add the honey. Sift together the flower and cinnamon. Add to the creamy mixture with a spoon until it binds together then work it with your fin gers until it is a soft smooth dough. Flower your hands, take off a piece of dough about the size of a large walnut and roll between the palm of hands until it is a smooth ball. Put onto a slightly greased tin and flatten slightly. Continue until all the dough has been used up. Bake in a moderately hot oven until the cakes are done - about 15 mins.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Here is a vegetarian recipe we have in a war time recipe book, although we also have it in a pre war book.

It is a great favourite in our family and popular with vegeatians and carnivors alike. And is always served at Christmas.

Specially Good Lentil amd Cheese Savoury.

½lb red lentils (Red lentils do not need to be soaked)
Good ½ pint of cold water. (That is an English ½ pt of 10 fl oz)
3 Shredded wheat biscuits, or their equivalent in bread crumbs.
4 medium sized tomatoes. (We use a tin of chopped tomatoes)
8 oz of dry grated cheese.
2 English onions.(as opposed to spanish onions whih are large and mild.)
1 oz of nut fat. (We use olive oil.)

METHOD
Place lentils, after washing them, in saucepan with water and cook, gently stirring ocassionally to prevent burning. When half done add the tomatoes skinned and finish cooking.

Fry the onions golden brown in the fat. Add these, the cheese and ½ the crumbled biscuits to the mixture. Mix thoroughly. Place in a greased baking tin. Cover lightly with the other half of the crumbled biscuit and bake in a moderate oven until brown and crisp on top. This is delicious hot or cold.

Some notes by my wife on this recipe, in the book:

"½ this is plenty for us. Not any more, I make double and freeze ½."

"I make a tomato sauce to go with this as otherwise it is rather dry."

Bon apetit

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

Here is a vegetarian recipe we have in a war time recipe book, although we also have it in a pre war book.

It is a great favourite in our family and popular with vegeatians and carnivors alike. And is always served at Christmas.

Specially Good Lentil amd Cheese Savoury.

½lb red lentils (Red lentils do not need to be soaked)
Good ½ pint of cold water. (That is an English ½ pt of 10 fl oz)
3 Shredded wheat biscuits, or their equivalent in bread crumbs.
4 medium sized tomatoes. (We use a tin of chopped tomatoes)
8 oz of dry grated cheese.
2 English onions.(as opposed to spanish onions whih are large and mild.)
1 oz of nut fat. (We use olive oil.)

METHOD
Place lentils, after washing them, in saucepan with water and cook, gently stirring ocassionally to prevent burning. When half done add the tomatoes skinned and finish cooking.

Fry the onions golden brown in the fat. Add these, the cheese and ½ the crumbled biscuits to the mixture. Mix thoroughly. Place in a greased baking tin. Cover lightly with the other half of the crumbled biscuit and bake in a moderate oven until brown and crisp on top. This is delicious hot or cold.

Some notes by my wife on this recipe, in the book:

"½ this is plenty for us. Not any more, I make double and freeze ½."

"I make a tomato sauce to go with this as otherwise it is rather dry."

Bon apetit

This sounds really good!

• Members

This sounds really good!

We think it is. In some countries it is difficult to get red lentils. In France we don't usually find them. I did find some onece tbat gave the name in English as "Pinkish Lentils" but they had the skins on and needed soaking.

We have only made this with Shredded wheat biscuits, do you have them over there? When we were children they were made by Welgar, then they became Nabisco, now they are Nestlé. Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

We think it is. In some countries it is difficult to get red lentils. In France we don't usually find them. I did find some onece tbat gave the name in English as "Pinkish Lentils" but they had the skins on and needed soaking.

We have only made this with Shredded wheat biscuits, do you have them over there? When we were children they were made by Welgar, then they became Nabisco, now they are Nestlé.

I've not seen red lentils here - green and brown, though. I prefer the brown. I'll have to look and see if I can find red anywhere...didn't know there were red ones!

We do have shredded wheat biscuits. I love them! They are made by Nabisco (Nestle) and Post. There are some knock off brands as well - but Nestle and Post are the best.

• Members

Red lentils (also called split lentils)are like yellow split peas only smaller, they don't have the skin like green and brown ones, and they "fall", i.e. go mushy, good for thickeming soups or stews.