• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Eating Soups

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jim, I'm a bumbler in the kitchen, but your spaghetti sauce recipe sounds good. So here's my stupid question:

Did you start with two 16-oz jars of tomato paste, or did you add two 16-oz jars of salsa to six quarts of tomato paste?

Mitch

• Members

Hi Chevvie, :D

Yea verily, my goofs have found me. I forgot to specify how much of that good stuff (tomato paste). :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It depends on your pot. I use my [b]12 quart stock-pot [/b]when I make this stuff.

Whatever size pot you use, [b]fill 2/3 full with tomato paste.[/b] Then put the other ingredients in until it's within two inches from the top. As it's cooking and simmering gently, by all means take some and enjoy it. :D :D :D :D . Then just add more tomato paste to bring the level back up. Stir occasionally, b/c it may stick to the bottom in a pot that big. [b] By all means go heavy on the ground beef. [/b] MOORE'S LAW applies here. See above. :)

This is one recipe that is ideal in the summer time, b/c of all the tomatoes we have growing in the garden. We can make our own paste with our Victorio strainer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

[quote="pneu-engine"]
We use dried. It's sold in those tiny envelopes at the checkout register. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Of what store? I've only ever seen it in the sugar/baking/spices aisle. Are you referring to a supermarket or a health food store?

• Members

Here in Lancaster County it's sold in every store imaginable, even the K-Marts. Oh wait-a-minute. I don't think you'll see it at a Wall-Mart, but then why would I ever expect to see anything there of quality. Go Figure. It's ok though, b/c I don't go there unless it's a life or death situation.

No Penn-Dutch culinary artiste would be without it when making savory poultry dishes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

• Members

I'll have to look for it next time I go to Kroger, but I doubt it will be near the checkout/register. If Mexicans use it in their cooking, I could possibly find it in a bag, near the Mexican spices. I'll have to add it to my list. :D

• Members

That's good, Chelle. :D

It's harvested by hand from the centers of certain crocus blossoms. I think it takes something like 225,000 stigmas from 75,000 bloosoms to make a pound, since there are only three stigmas in each flower.

Please click here:::

http://greekproducts.com/greekproducts/saffron/

an exerpt from that site:::

[quote]
[b]The most precious and most expensive spice in the world: Saffron.
The Saffron filaments, or threads, are actually the dried stigmas of the saffron flower, "Crocus Sativus Linneaus". Each flower contains only three stigmas. These threads must be picked from each flower by hand, and more than 75,000 of these flowers are needed to produce just one pound of Saffron filaments, making it the world?s most precious spice.
But, because of saffron's strong coloring power and intense flavor, it can be used sparingly. Saffron is used both for its bright orange-yellow color and for its strong, intense flavor and aroma.

rocus Sativus Linneaus contains crocin, the source of its strong coloring property, bitter-crocin, which offers the distinctive aroma and taste and essential oils which are responsible for its therapeutic properties.
Saffron is available both in filaments and powder, though the long, deep red filaments are usually preferable to the powder as the latter can be easily adulterated.
Today, the greatest saffron producing countries are Greece, Spain, Turkey, Iran, India, and Morocco.
The largest saffron importers are Germany, Italy, U.S.A., Switzerland, U.K., and France. [/b]
[/quote]