• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Eating Soups

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Let's see now, where were we??????

Okie dokie, continuing right along now with our homemade soup recipes:::::::::::::::

This one is called, "Chicken with Rice". :lol

I really like this one for its flavor and ease of preparation.

In your large stock pot (use a really big one, because this soup is worthy of leftovers, it is that good. :thumb ) place boneless, skinless chicken breasts according to your tastes. If you are like me, then by all means apply Moore's Law, and puts lots of it in.

***Fill the kettle to 2/3 full with water.

***If this is a 12 quart kettle, then add 3 cups each of chopped celery and chopped onion (with stems of spring onions).

***Add two pinches of Saffron. ((((The rule is one pinch per six quart kettle full, and we have a 12 quart unit.))))

((((chicken boullion, salt, pepper and garlic to taste. It all goes in at this step)))))

***Bring pot to boil and then turn back to simmer for about an hour or so, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and wonderfully soft.

***Remove chicken from pot and let cool.

Running "parallel" with this operation should be the cooking of the brown rice. If you use minute rice, or quick cooking rice, then this parallel operation isn't at all time-critical. My wife and I really like whole grain brown rice because of its full-bodied flavor, but you can use any rice you want.

***When the rice is fully cooked, pour it into the stock-pot. You don't have to cook this separate, but brown rice is very tricky to cook and not have it come out as "bullets", so I always cook it separate. The question is how much rice should we use. I use enough to make the soup somewhat thick, but not too thick.

***Whilst that rice was cooking, we were chopping, slicing, dicing and ricing that cooked chicken. :lol Pour all of that chicken in there. Resist the urge to hold back any of it. :drool :drool :drool My wife always does though, and that comes in quite handy for chicken-based casseroles. :thumb :wink

***Simmer all of that in the pot for about ten more minutes. Taste test it:::::::: Is it too salty?????? If it is, then throw a scrubbed, sliced and diced potato or two in the pot (I just scrub them and then shove them thru my french-fry cutter). Better put two in. :lol: The taters absorb the excess salt. When the taters are soft it will be ready to serve piping hot with multi-grain crackers or homemade cornbread.

Mention was made of Moore's Law.

Moore's Law:::::

If a little is good then more is better and way, way too much is just right. :lol:

I would be interested if anyone enjoys this as much as I do. :lol

• Members

These all look good, but I didn't see my favorite listed. It is
Potato Cabbage Soup
3 potatoes chopped(large to medium)
1 onion chopped
3 carrots chopped
6 cups water
4 teaspoons chicken bouillion granuales
1/2 head cabbage (large)
1 1/2 cups milk. ( Cream to skim)
cook first 5 ingredients until veggies are tender, add chopped
cabbage and cook until cabbage is rather soft. Add milk, and
heat but don't boil. Then put in bowl and eat. Very good.

• Members

I'm not sure if anyone would like this soup but it's real easy to make.

Shrimp and rice soup

2 tbs olive oil
1 cup raw rice
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 cup cooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
3 cups of hot water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp tabasco sauce

Heat the olive oil in a heavey skillet until it gets very hot. Add the rice and cook, constantly stirring gently, until the rice becomes deep golden brown. Add the tomatoes, shrimp, hot water, salt and tabasco sauce. Cover and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid. Keep covered for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Love,
Madeline

• 1 year later...
  • Members

It's that time of year again when good, hearty homemade soups warm the body and comfort the soul.

Here is a recipe for::::::::::::

Beef and Barley Soup (Crockpot)

2 lbs. stew meat, cut into cubes

1/4 cup flour

4 Tbsp. oil

3/4 cup pearl barley (not quick barley)

3 carrots, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into half coins

1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 bay leaf

Salt, red and black pepper and beef boullion according to your taste

1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crumbled

1/2 tsp. dried savory, crumbled

2 cans (14 oz. each) low-sodium beef broth

Dredge the meat with flour. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Drain any remaining oil.

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours or until beef and barley are tender.

Taste for seasoning; add additional salt or thyme if you wish (but I never see the need).

Serve with crackers, crusty bread or cornbread.

Note: can also be cooked on stovetop, cooking time about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. May need to add water to thin to desired consistency.

Source: Lizzie-boo at Family Corner and MomsMenu

• Members

I just saw this thread! Yum! I love soup, but my DH doesn't, so I do my own thing when it comes to soup. I love home made potato soup, bean soup, vegetable soup, chili soup, lentil soup, (Progresso's lentil soup is not bad), and I love Campbells tomato soup doctored up with milk, butter, and sugar. CJP56.

• Members
Chef P-E,
Do you have any good recipes for beans that are not "chili"? (I love chili, but I'm looking for some other tasty bean recipes)

Hi bzmom, :Green

You came to the right place. :thumb We Penn-Dutchies have oooooooooooodles of non-chili bean recipes. I take it you mean dried beans as opposed to green beans, string beans and yellow wax beans.

With dried beans we make::::::

*** Bean soup

***Chow chow and other pickled bean recipes

***Baked bean casseroles. There are verrrrrrry many of these types from BBQ'd to calico varieties.

***I'm sure there are others; these are off the top of my head.

Since this is a thread for soups, I'll post here our (my wife's and mine) 15-bean bean soup with ham hock. How I missed it is beyond me. :hide :lol: For those other bean recipes I'll start a new thread. :Green

Fifteen Bean Soup with Ham

(This soup has a most delectable flavor because of the wide variety of beans all marinating together.)

Get one package (~1 pound) of Hurst's 15 bean soup mix.

(Please NOTE:::::::: Dried beans are a raw agricultural product. Even though the processor takes care to clean their products carefully sometimes bits of earth, debris and/or stones may slip through. Always sort and rinse beans thoroughly before cooking.)

Ingredients:::

1 ham hock, or one pound of ham or sausage

1 cup chopped onion

1 15 oz. can of stewed or diced tomatoes

1 tsp chili powder

The juice of 1 lemon

1-2 cloves of garlic, thoroughly minced

Procedure:::

---Traditional (we use this method for maximum flavor)---

A. Soaking:::

Place beans in your six quart kettle and cover with two quarts of water. Soak overnight or at least 8 to 10 hours.

1. After soaking, drain water, add 2 quarts of fresh water and ham or sausage.

2. Bring the whole mix to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2-1/2 hours.

3. After simmering, add chopped onion, tomatoes, chili powder, lemon and garlic. Simmmer for another 30 minutes.

4. Salt and pepper to taste.

---Quick Cook Method---

1. Place rinsed beans into your six quart kettle and cover with 3 quarts of water.

2. Bring to a rapid boil, reduce heat and continue boiling for 60 to 70 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

3. After 60 minutes add all of the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes to marinate together all of the flavors of those ingredients.

4. Salt and pepper to taste.

Variations:::::::

If you enjoy the flavor of green, yellow and red bell peppers, and/or hot peppers (jalapeno, habenero, scotch bonnet, or chili d'arbol) you may experiment with them as well. Chop them up fine and throw them in with the rest of the ingredients.