• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calvary

What does the Bible say about music?

Jerry, Let me ask you a question.

Is it a sin to have more than one wife today?

If so, it must have been a sin back in the days that David walked on the earth.

6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Mal 3:6 (KJV)

17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

James 1:17 (KJV)

8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Heb 13:8 (KJV)

I know the Biblical pattern is one wife and one husband, but there are no verses that state it is sin to have more than one wife. In the NT dispensation - and yes there are some differences - God teaches that pastors are to be the husband of one wife, so I believe He is holding them to a higher standard.

I don't want to argue this point - if you believe I am wrong, show me the Scripture that declares more than 1 wife and sin and I will change my mind. I cannot think of any, therefore I will not say it was a sin for the OT patriarchs and kings. God never rebuked them or chastened them for that, though He did for many other sins. I will not go beyond Scripture in this area.

Let's see, Jacob had two wives I believe, and he became the nation of Israel.

Deut. 21:15-16 -- If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated: 16 Then it shall be, when he maketh his sons to inherit that which he hath, that he may not make the son of the beloved firstborn before the son of the hated, which is indeed the firstborn:

Gideon had "many wives" (Judges 8:30)

Elkanah in 1 Samuel had two wives.

Saul had multiple wives.

David had lots of wives and concubines, and he was a man after God's own heart.

[quote]
1 Samuel 30:5 - And David's two wives were taken captives, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail the wife of Nabal the Carmelite.

2 Samuel 5:13 - And David took him more concubines and wives out of Jerusalem, after he was come from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters born to David.

2 Sam 12:8 -- And I gave thee thy master's house, and [b]thy master's wives [/b]into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and [b]if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things[/b].
[/quote]

Solomon had about 700 wives and 300 concubines, and he was the wisest man to ever live (except Jesus, of course). (1 Kings 11:3)

[quote]
2 Chronicles 11:21 - And Rehoboam loved Maachah the daughter of Absalom above all his wives and his concubines: (for he took [b]eighteen [/b]wives, and threescore concubines; and begat twenty and eight sons, and threescore daughters.)
[/quote]

Having more than one wife may not have been God's ideal, but He seemed to allow it. However, as all men know, it's hard to keep one woman in line, much less 700! :lol: Most of those men mentioned above did have difficulties with all those wives.

I don't recall any Scripture specifically against having multiple wives, except for the offices of pastor and deacon.

Deu 17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

1Ki 11:1 But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites;
1Ki 11:2 Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love.
1Ki 11:3 And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart.
1Ki 11:4 For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.

[quote]
Deu 17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
[/quote]

Yep, you got me there :oops: . I need to refresh my studies on the Old Testament laws.

Mitch

is that verse talking about having 2 wives, or 4? or (more likely) talking about multiplying like gold and silver more and more and more, i.e. solomon. The promise (they will turn your heart) came true in Solomon's life, but not many other of the polygamist patriarchs that were not as flamboyant in their pursuit of wives. The verse notes seems to me to be talking of a Solomon type scenareo, not a Jacob type.

:2cents

[quote]
However, as all men know, it's hard to keep one woman in line, much less 700! Most of those men mentioned above did have difficulties with all those wives.
[/quote]

Can you just imagine a typical modern-day scenario.:::

Wife #1::: "So who gets the kitchen tonite???"

Wife #2::: "I do, I'm baking stuffed shells."

Wife #3::: "No you don't, either. I do. I'm making cookies."

Wife #4::: "None of you do, I do. I'm making cakes for the church bazaar."

Wife #5::: "Out of my way, all of you. I get it tonite. I'm making bean soup and cornbread."

YOWZA!!!! What a mess. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote="pneu-engine"]
[quote]However, as all men know, it's hard to keep one woman in line, much less 700! Most of those men mentioned above did have difficulties with all those wives.
[/quote]

Wife #5::: "Out of my way, all of you. I get it tonite. I'm making bean soup and cornbread."

YOWZA!!!! What a mess. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote] \

Multiple wives would defintely requie multiple kitchens... :lol:

At the risk of getting way off subject, which is what does the Bible really say about music, David had more than just 2 or 4 wives. I can name 7 (I'm pretty sure), but the verses following suggest that he did in fact multiply wives unto him which is forbidden by the word of God.

[b]2Sa 5:13 And David took him more concubines and wives out of Jerusalem, after he was come from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters born to David. [/b]

[b]1Ch 14:3 And David took more wives at Jerusalem: and David begat more sons and daughters. [/b]

Now, the point was and has been, bad lives do NOT automatically equal bad music. No more so than bad preachers equal a bad gospel.

As far as being a biblical argument against southern gospel, or bluegrass or whatever it is you don't care for, the Bible is strangely silent on anything that mentions style, tempo, beat. I would think that if it was neccesary to spiritual growth and doctrinal soundness, we would have a verse or two. Unfortunately for many we do not.

A man who would not go farther than the Bible as far as multiple wives in the OT yet force his opinion to be on par with the word of God is lacking in sound biblical doctrine in this issue of music. There is no clear statement in the word of God on beat, tempo, rythym or whether or not melody is better than harmony, or if we can feel good about it or let our emotions play a part in our worship style. Jerry, you post a lot of good stuff. You juts need to let the Bible speak where it does and where it does not, you need to let folks be. Now, if that bothers you, I make no apologies. I cannot be held accountable for what your standards arew as opposed to mine.

[b]Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
Rom 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
Rom 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
Rom 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.[/b]

That is the principle that has been spoken by God. You will give an account for the class of music YOU listened to beloved, and I will for mine. The Lord Jesus is NOT going to ask me about your personal tastes of music when I stand before him. Neither will you be asked about how I liked bluegrass and played a mandolin.

There is NOTHING unclean of itself. A wicked man will play wicked music. A man who is right with God just might play something a little too racy for your likes, but that is just the way it goes beloved. To suggest that he may not be as spiritual as another is sin.

God bless you.

[quote="pneu-engine"]
[quote]However, as all men know, it's hard to keep one woman in line, much less 700! Most of those men mentioned above did have difficulties with all those wives.
[/quote]

YOWZA!!!! What a mess. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I think Solomon kept his wives in the tower of Babel, which is actually a misspelling as it should be the tower of Babble.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Gen 2:24 (KJV)

It does say wife, not wife's so I feel sure God object to having more than one wife and that is what I will stand on.

Plus we have the verse previously posted.

For God to allow something does not mean it is wrong, after all he did give each of us free will.

Plus, ever time the Bible speak of one of the Bible figures, and they do something wrong, God does not have to say right after it, that it was a sin, for it to be a sin, after all God says He is no respecter of person. Therefore what is a sin for one is a sin for the other one.

So you have no objection to those who have many wife's? Morms for instance.

[quote]
There is NOTHING unclean of itself.
[/quote]

That is in reference to food - not in reference to every other thing under the sun!

Brother, I'll give you the immeadiate context. But the principles are there and they apply to a lot of stuff. Including music.

For example:

Jerry is going to come over to my house and eat dinner. We are going to have a good time. We will talk about the Bible, tell each other some tales of the good times we have had out door knocking, have a laugh or two about the funny things that we've seen (like the guy I saw get baptised who was about 6'10" and the baptizer hit the fellow's head on the back side of the baptistry and the mic picked it up and "THUNK!" and every one ...)

I have read some posts from brother Jerry, I get the idea that he is a fine Christian but has some stricter ideas about music than perhaps I do. He may not appreciate Steve Green, so in respect to my brother and because its really not worth fighting about, I will not play my Steve Green CD when he comes over. In fact I will try to find out who his favorite Christian music is (from someone on the board) and try to do everything I can to have that tape ready for his coming.
I will not try to argue with him that he is obligated to accept Steve Green, nor will I judge him as being anything other than a fine Christian. Just becasue our tastes in music differ is no reason to think he is not right with God. Why should I doubt that he loves the Lord and is willing to serve him to the best of his ability?
Why should Jerry doubt that about me?

May God bless you.

[quote="Calvary"]
But the principles are there and they apply to a lot of stuff. Including music.
[/quote]

As Termite indicated - musical notes are neutral, musical styles are not. Seems I recall you getting all bent about me posting an article about musical styles not being neutral and you not liking the implication (that you thought I was making) that you thought all musical styles are neutral - YET THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE ADVOCATING OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Make up your mind for us, please.

Some of my dear brethren set forth ideas of musical history that seem logical or at least fit with what makes for good preaching. Yet these theories cannot stand under the light of the scriptures. Prominent among the theories is that called the Lucifer theory. It runs more or less like this.
A. Lucifer was made with musical instruments as part of his person.
B. He fell.
C. Therefore, since the fall of Lucifer music has been inherently corrupt.

This only makes sense as long as you ignore the following:
A. All men did not die in Satan but in Adam.
B. No man has a satanic nature but a sin nature.
C. Everyone born into the world has light (John 1) faith (Romans 12:3) and knowledge of God (Romans 1).
D. In order to get a man to sin Satan must draw him away (James 1).

To say all music is evil because Lucifer fell is on par with saying all husbandries, building, mathematics, art, etc. is evil. Those loving God and serving Him have always been in the minority but God has never been without his people on the earth. His people plant, marry, build, travel and sing. Of the references previously considered from the word of God almost all of them are positive.
The Bible does not support the

There you go, addressing straw men again! Why not just deal with what is actually presented for argument in this thread? :roll:

It was stated that Satan was involved in music in Heaven, therefore he knows how to corrupt music. No one stated that every kind of music was tainted by Satan, nor did anyone bring racism into this argument except you.

No one ever said Rock was the start of bad music - in fact, many who are clearly against Rock are also against the close precrursors of Rock, which are jazz and blues.

AGAIN, FOR YOUR BENEFIT, I WILL STATE THIS AGAIN: NO ONE IS AGAINST MODERN MUSIC (IE. MUSIC THAT IS WRITTEN AND PERFORMED NOW), WHAT WE ARE AGAINST IS CHRISTIAN CONTEMPORARY MUSIC, WHICH ARE MODERN STYLES OF MUSIC, INCLUDING ALL ROCK AND COUNTRY. I very much love some of the sound music written today by those who are separated, solid in their doctrine, non-worldly in musical styles or appearance, etc.

I just did a search of all your prior posts - and like I was stating on another thread: there are those who come here to ride and promote their own hobbyhorse - yours apparently is music. If you are here for fellowship, why not post on other categories. You know we are against rock and CCM - so why do you keep pushing the issue? Take your anything goes opinion and straw men elsewhere.

In light of this last paragraph, I and some of the other leadership here have decided to lock this thread.