• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SisterHolly

What's wrong with Christian Rock?

Several years ago there was a missionary to Africa whose children received some rock music records from the US friends (some friends, eh?). The kids were listening to them daily until one of the converted Africans came to the missonary and asked him why his children played the music that invited demons to enter them?

Tune is as important as lyrics. "Christian" rock is an oxymoron.

Satan was the angel of music when in Heaven, and once he was cast out, used his music to fool people. Now he is using "Christian" rock to fool Christians who want to hang onto the world along with Christianity.

We are getting off topic from mixing holy and profane things but anyhoo...

Some believe that Satan* was musical because of the following passage:

Ez. 28:12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.

13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.

*We believe this is indeed Satan because this section is addressed to the king of Tyre instead of the prince of Tyre, the Eden reference and also because this personage is called the "covering cherub".

The term "rock" in Rock Music comes from the slang phrase "rock and roll" which meant to have sex(usually the adultery kind).

Many songs use the terms, rock, rock&roll, rockin & rollin, etc. to mean just that.

I could list the lyrics to some of the songs that use it in that meaning, as I once listened to the garbage, but that wouldn't be proper here.

Rock and Roll music has it's origin in a sinful act. The term "rock and roll" is still used today to describe that sinful act.

No such thing as "Christian Rock"

To use something "bad" to glorify God is Machiavellan - the ends justify the means. But God doesn't work that way. He wants purity - God tells us to "come out from among them and be ye separate..." and to "be not conformed to this world, but transformed..." If we used the world's music, we would be conforming to the world and not be separate. So - no, lasting results for glory to God will not come with using something bad.

I honestly don't believe that. Because all of us are sinners (something bad) and you're saying that something bad can't bring glory to God. So in turn you're saying that no human alive today can bring glory to God.

Christians are to grow in the Lord. How long has this Tobymac been a professing Christian? How does he present himself as having grown in the Lord today as compared to his days years ago with DC Talk?

Has his dress style changed to reflect a growth in Christ? Do the fruits of what he does, how he presents himself, even some of the songs he sings really show that he has grown in Christ over these years?

Certainly, the Lord can use a weak, new and/or immature Christian for His glory. However, we are not to remain weak, new or immature. We are to grow in the Lord. Each year we should be able to look back and see some growth. We are not to remain as babes in Christ feeding upon the milk only. We are to grow and mature, feeding upon the meat of the Lord.

So how they dress is a testament to their level of "savedness?" And do you think dcTalk was a good group? I'm asking because they aren't exactly "rule followers" here. And how do you judge another man's salvation. "Oh, he doesn't look like he's saved so he can't possibly be saved."

I said nothing about their "savedness". What I was saying is their level of maturity in Christ. If one presents themselves the same today as they did a dozen years ago; if their fruit and such are the same, then where is the evidence of any growth in Christ?

Scripture is clear that we are to grow in Christ. We are not to move closer to Christ and farther away from the things of the world as time goes by. We are not to be a mirror image of the lost. We are not to remain in the ways of the world. We are to ever grow closer to the Lord and those who see us are to be able to see Christ in us; not the world.

I honestly don't believe that. Because all of us are sinners (something bad) and you're saying that something bad can't bring glory to God. So in turn you're saying that no human alive today can bring glory to God.

That is not what HappyChristian is saying at all. When we get saved, we are "new creatures" in Christ Jesus (2 Cor. 5:17). As "new creatures" in Christ, we are to live holy and separated lives. Because Jesus Christ "became sin who had no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Cor. 5:21), we have been set free from the bondage of sin.

We are not to use the world's methods to glorify God. We are not to be "conformed" to the world, but we are to be "transformed" by the "renewing" of our mind. James said that "friendship with the world is enmity with God" (James 4:4) You will not be able to glorify God when you are holding on to "worldly lusts". Either you are on the side of the enemy (Satan) or you are on God's side. You can't be on both sides. You can't serve God and mammon.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Yes, some styles of dress are absolutely of the world and not appropriate for a Christian. Should a Christian dress like they are a prostitute? A gang-affiliated ghetto street tough?

Dress style sends a message. Why do "tough guys" wear leather biker jackets, black jeans and boots and such? It sends a message. Why do prostitutes wear overly revealing outfits? It sends a message.

What kind of message should a Christian send with their style of dress? One that says "I'm just like the world" or one that says "I'm different from the world"?

That is not what HappyChristian is saying at all. When we get saved, we are "new creatures" in Christ Jesus (2 Cor. 5:17). As "new creatures" in Christ, we are to live holy and separated lives. Because Jesus Christ "became sin who had no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Cor. 5:21), we have been set free from the bondage of sin.

We are not to use the world's methods to glorify God. We are not to be "conformed" to the world, but we are to be "transformed" by the "renewing" of our mind. James said that "friendship with the world is enmity with God" (James 4:4) You will not be able to glorify God when you are holding on to "worldly lusts". Either you are on the side of the enemy (Satan) or you are on God's side. You can't be on both sides. You can't serve God and mammon.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Thanks, Linda! Couldn't have said it better myself!

No human alive today can truly bring glory to God unless #1 - they are saved; #2 - they are totally surrendered to Him. The glory we bring to God comes through Jesus Christ, who is the Lord of Glory...not through our goodness, since we have none in and of ourselves.

Yes, dress is vital - if it weren't, God wouldn't have made cloaks of animal skins for Adam and Eve - He would have allowed them to wear their leaf creations.

I used to be a Techno and Soft Rock producer. If that music is so good, can you tell me why I got a sort of depressed feeling when I would be working on a few songs all day and why my heart would usually beat in an abnormal way after producing?

Note: The depressed feeling was minor and it only happened if I'd been producing more music that day than usual.

So a certain style of dress is of the world? Clothes matter that much?

Well...yes. A female wearing a mini-skirt is definitely not godly.

Well...yes. A female wearing a mini-skirt is definitely not godly.

The same could be said about a man wearing a pair of tight trousers or trousers (?) that hanging down to your "rear" loose (that they continually are pulling up) and a dirty T-shirt.

But these artists arent wearing mini-skirts or "saggin" their pants. Or wearing dirty clothes.

I'm sorry, I don't know to which artists you are referring. Sometimes it isn't even the clothes, but the over all look. If they look in any way like a rock group, they look worldly - plain and simple. Does that mean they are awful heathens? Not necessarily. They could be one of two other things: Christians who don't understand the Biblical principle of separation, or Christians who do understand the Biblical principle of separation and have sacrificed it on the altar of fame and money.

So let me see if i've got this straight. If an artist is making music for God, their lyrics aren't bad, they arent dressed like prostitutes or thugs, but they are using modern music, then their worship is negated?

How is wearing grunge, men having hippy hair and earrings bringing glory to God? They dress like the world, act like the world, sing like the world, and use the world's music - something is wrong with that picture if they are a CHRISTIAN band!!

What makes something Christian? By being Christlike - being like the world is not being like Christ. Simple enough for you?

So let me see if i've got this straight. If an artist is making music for God' date=' their lyrics aren't bad, they arent dressed like prostitutes or thugs, but they are using modern music, then their worship is negated?[/quote']

Let me ask you a question. How in the world could someone worship God using something the devil uses? That is what someone who uses the type of music used in "Christian" rock is doing. They are not really worshipping God. We cannot worship a holy God using profane forms of worship. God is holy, God demands holiness. Period.

The worship isn't negated, but they're not really worshiping the God of the Bible, but rather a god that they've construed in their own minds - therefore making it idolatry in a way. And what is this hang-up about worship as if that's the only thing that's important in the Bible - how about obedience?