• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SisterHolly

What's wrong with Christian Rock?

[quote="John81"]
How about the inverse?

What is RIGHT with Christian rock?
[/quote]

Good question, John

I will answer that in one word--NOTHING!

[quote="MatthewDiscipleOfGod"]
I have been involved with missions in countries where tribes still live off the land and no one has a TV. [b]Would you tell them to stop using drums even though it's now being used to praise God with hymns of praise and worship[/b]?
[/quote]

Yes, if I was a missionary, sent out from a church that was against CCM and drums, I would certainly expect them not to use drums in those churches that are started through my church.

By the way, there are many solid IFB churches in Africa, India, Nepal, and other places that DO stand against drums in worship. What you win them with you win them to. If you start a church without something, it is harder for it to creep in. Many of these Africans, East Indians, Nepalians, etc. see the effect of the paganism on their culture, see the effect of the voodoo (etc.) drums in their society, and choose to stand against it when they get coverted to the true God.

[quote="Jerry"]
[quote="MatthewDiscipleOfGod"]I have been involved with missions in countries where tribes still live off the land and no one has a TV. [b]Would you tell them to stop using drums even though it's now being used to praise God with hymns of praise and worship[/b]?
[/quote]

Yes, if I was a missionary, sent out from a church that was against CCM and drums, I would certainly expect them not to use drums in those churches that are started through my church.

By the way, there are many solid IFB churches in Africa, India, Nepal, and other places that DO stand against drums in worship. What you win them with you win them to. If you start a church without something, it is harder for it to creep in. Many of these Africans, East Indians, Nepalians, etc. see the effect of the paganism on their culture, see the effect of the voodoo (etc.) drums in their society, and choose to stand against it when they get coverted to the true God.[/quote]

Hold up just a second. I thought drums were all right, but rhythms derived from rock & roll, blues, and jazz were bad. Like, is it bad when orchestras use drums too? :?

That's where I (and my church) stand - I know not everyone here agrees with that stand. I was just stating that many who do agree with that same stand also expect the missionaries and foreign churches they support to have the same standard.

Regardless of where you stand on drums, the majority here would at least agree that rock music/CCM is wrong - AND any type of music that actually uses a rock beat - with or without drums - is wrong.

Wouldn't the biggest factor be what the beat is for?

Some beats are obviously intended to illicit an emotional response that "makes" many people want to dance erotically, or brings about a fighting attitude, etc.

well let me ask this question then taking the flipside

say there were a group of people and they had an organ. They played the organ and made sexual dance movements to the sound and music of this organ. the dance went all over the world and everyone is aware of this sexual dance to the music of the organ. So is the music now evil because when people hear it it is affiliated with a sexual dance. Should we judge things because of the way people missuse them?

I hope no one is offended by this but instead sees the logic behind it

Can you honestly say they look like Christians? Are they dressed in modest apparel? Do they show the fruit of joy or peace in their faces? Can you tell they are Christians, separate from the world? They look more like rock and roll stars, goths or pagans than they do Christians.
tobymac.jpg
kutless_group%20publicity%20photo.jpg
skillet.jpg

Whether those artists music glorifies God or not is highly debatable.

true but the lyrics on their own glorify god

and so they at least have something going for them you should agree

^so do you judge people purely on how they look?

do you see the fruit of the holy spirit physically?

Discussion. And good Google skills. When the last site "researched" me i googled SamoX19. CTF comes up many times. And im not bored there. I'm looking for info here. There aren't any IFB's there...

So christians should wear suits and ties? You wear those all the time? And I don't see christian. I see, blonde kid in a suit and tie. How does what someone wears affect how they are going, and how they get others to go to heaven? You know there are ministries out there like "The Cowboy Church," and biker ministries? Are you saying that everyone who goes to one of those is not getting saved when they submit their lives to God. How does what your wearing affect your way and other's way into heaven? God didn't wear a suit. So are you "of the world" for wearing one?

I don't wear a suit all the time. I'm done here. If you think that Skillet, Toby Mac and Kutless look like Christians then you are spiritually discerned. You have no interest in learning or discussion, you simply want to go around in circles.

Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

You're taking the old Baptist approach eh? "He found a flaw in my foundation. I should throw a scripture out here that means he's wrong and be done with the discussion." This is why i came here. To find out why Baptists like ya'll are so defensive and get some real info out.

?Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings; yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish,? 2 Peter 2:10-12

see, i can do it too:

"Because you refuse to accept my position, I am obligated to tell everyone that you are a false teacher, and every other faithful Christian and congregation must reject you." Romans 16: 17

^but see that scripture does not mean that. Scripture out of context can say whatever we want it to say and thats what has happened here with all of you. You speak of God as if you know him, but you reject others. God loved others. What has happened to you?