• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's wrong with Christian Rock?

• Members

I Bowed on My Knees and Cried Holy is a Southern Gospel song. Alot of SG music is old time hymns. Chev each part of the country has their own hymns. What we had in Ind. we had some in the south but the south had some that we did not have in Ind.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

[quote]
I Bowed on My Knees and Cried Holy is a Southern Gospel song
[/quote]

The recording that I have does it as a classic hymn. There are no SG overtones or undertones in it at all. I don't know what group (choir) is singing it b/c I recorded it off the radio many years ago during a "Sacred Symphony" session from WDAC, Lancaster, PA.

It's just as Bakers-6 inferred. Practically any classic or traditional hymn can be re-styled to sound like anything one wants it to. Consider what the charismatics do to "Amazing Grace" with their swinging and swaying. They take a really good song and make it nauseous, and turn it into something I can't even stomach. :barfy: :barfy: :barfy: :barfy: :shock: :shock: :( :( :(

• Members

I wouldn't say that every part of the country has its own favorite hymns. I would say that what you sing at church depends heavily on the music director's experience and training and whether or not the pianist can play the particular song.

When I lived in IN, we sang the regular 40 songs:

At Calvary
When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder
Trust And Obey
Etc.

(Not that there's anything wrong with those :wink: )

However, when I lived in NC, I had a music director from IL with more training who knew the value and deep theology of those great hymns of our faith like the ones PE posted. Same thing with a church in VA. We didn't sing the same 40-50 songs over and over again. He attempted to sing every song from the hymnal (Living Hymns) and if the congregation didn't know it, then he used the pre-Sunday School session to teach it to the people.

Nothing, absolutely nothing can compare to hearing the basses roll on song like Great God Of Wonders. These deep, rich, theological hymns are usually at the beginning of the hymnal and usually get skipped in many churches.

• Members

[quote="GritsAndMolasses"]
Yeah at my church we sing hymns like:
When the Roll is Called Up Yonder
At Calvary
Jesus Paid It All
How Great Thou Art
Lily of the Valley

hymns like that...I've not heard of any of those other ones! Are these just the hymns associated with the deep south?
[/quote]

Actually I am in Indiana and those hymns sound very familiar. :)

• Members

Hi Bakers-6, :D

I've seen that syndrome time and time again. :(

My hat's off to a songleader that will get a hymnal like [u][b]Living Hymns [/b][/u]with its 824 songs and take the challenge and teach the congreagtion a new song on a regular basis. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Members

I've been in a few churches that irritated me the way they did the hymns. Each service they would sing the chorus or just the first line and the chorus of a half-dozen or so hymns, but NEVER sing an entire hymn!

All those wonderful hymns in their hymnal and yet they would only sing small parts of about a dozen or so of them.

• Members

I agree John.

I remember like it was 5 seconds ago a post[i] (((I forget just anymore if it was a public post or PM))) [/i]by Bakers-6 wherein she mentioned that in any given service [b]preaching should be king and music should be queen[/b]. The songs have a message also, and very often the whole song with all the verses need to be sung in order to get that full intent of the song. The good traditional hymns are not inspired as our KJV is, but they are Godly with a message from the LORD.

• Members

[quote="pneu-engine"]
I remember like it was 5 seconds ago a post[i] (((I forget just anymore if it was a public post or PM))) [/i]by Bakers-6 wherein she mentioned that in any given service [b]preaching should be king and music should be queen[/b].
[/quote]

:lol: More like 3 minutes ago.

I have said that in the past but I don't remember either if it was a PM or post.

• Members

Well, our church started out by singing all the verses, so the congregation is trained right. Since I'm also the congregational song leader, I'll stop the singing if I feel it's too "routine." Then I'll read the verse instead, to show the folks that there is a message in these hymns.

I think Americans would be surprised about what the second and third verses of "The Star-Spangled Banner" were actually about. Oh, the unconstitutionality of it all! :roll:

Too often we sing hymns out of habit, and really don't grasp the message in them.

Mitch