• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's wrong with Christian Rock?

• Administrators
But these artists arent wearing mini-skirts or "saggin" their pants. Or wearing dirty clothes.

I'm sorry, I don't know to which artists you are referring. Sometimes it isn't even the clothes, but the over all look. If they look in any way like a rock group, they look worldly - plain and simple. Does that mean they are awful heathens? Not necessarily. They could be one of two other things: Christians who don't understand the Biblical principle of separation, or Christians who do understand the Biblical principle of separation and have sacrificed it on the altar of fame and money.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So let me see if i've got this straight. If an artist is making music for God, their lyrics aren't bad, they arent dressed like prostitutes or thugs, but they are using modern music, then their worship is negated?

• Members

How is wearing grunge, men having hippy hair and earrings bringing glory to God? They dress like the world, act like the world, sing like the world, and use the world's music - something is wrong with that picture if they are a CHRISTIAN band!!

What makes something Christian? By being Christlike - being like the world is not being like Christ. Simple enough for you?

• Administrators
So let me see if i've got this straight. If an artist is making music for God' date=' their lyrics aren't bad, they arent dressed like prostitutes or thugs, but they are using modern music, then their worship is negated?[/quote']

Let me ask you a question. How in the world could someone worship God using something the devil uses? That is what someone who uses the type of music used in "Christian" rock is doing. They are not really worshipping God. We cannot worship a holy God using profane forms of worship. God is holy, God demands holiness. Period.

• Members

The worship isn't negated, but they're not really worshiping the God of the Bible, but rather a god that they've construed in their own minds - therefore making it idolatry in a way. And what is this hang-up about worship as if that's the only thing that's important in the Bible - how about obedience?

• Members
I used to be a Techno and Soft Rock producer. If that music is so good, can you tell me why I got a sort of depressed feeling when I would be working on a few songs all day and why my heart would usually beat in an abnormal way after producing?

Note: The depressed feeling was minor and it only happened if I'd been producing more music that day than usual.

Hello Samo, I see you've ignored my above post.

• Members

Hello Samo, I see you've ignored my above post.

I can't tell you that. It's true that music has the ability to affect moods, but honestly how does that pertain to this debate whatsoever? Yes, i ignored your last post, because it was utterly useless to post.

• Members

Music is one of the most powerful tools of satan. he is in control of most music on earth because he is the prince of the air.

Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience

Satan controls the tones of music(bass music exites men sexually and electric guitars exites women sexually) this is my main arguement with rock style music.
Also the phrase Rock n Roll was originally a sexually phrase meaning to have sex in a car.

So what i am saying is that a church should not play loud powerful music because sexual feelings can enter the worship and will hender our relationship with our Father.

• Members

I can't tell you that. It's true that music has the ability to affect moods, but honestly how does that pertain to this debate whatsoever? Yes, i ignored your last post, because it was utterly useless to post.

Well, if certain genre of music can affect your mood negatively, what makes it good? like, duh!

• Members
I can't tell you that. It's true that music has the ability to affect moods' date=' but honestly how does that pertain to this debate whatsoever? Yes, i ignored your last post, because it was utterly useless to post.[/quote']

Hm, is that your version of contructive or edifying criticism?

• Members

Just because someone "likes" something, whether music or something else, doesn't mean it's good or that it's good for them.

Consider those who like to get drunk; or like to have sex with dozens of partners; or who like doing drugs; or who like blasting music through their headphones so loud it damages their hearing; or those who like stealing; etc.

• Members

God expects you to worship Him in His way - not in a way that pleases the flesh. Sure, you may get some emotional high from repetitive rock choruses - but that is not worship. Worship is not a feeling, though it may affect our feelings at times.

Besides, true worship is worshipping God with your whole life - with a life that is devoted to God - not some rock concert for two hours (or whatever a week), then going about in your normal worldly manner of living.

• Members

but thats not what we're doing. We're not having worship and then sinning as soon as we leave. And btw: In the bible they used loud music for worship.

1 Chronicles 15: 16
And David spake to the chief of the Levites to appoint their brethren to be the singers with instruments of musick, psalteries and harps and cymbals, sounding, by lifting up the voice with joy.

2 Chronicles 5: 13
It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;

Amos 6: 5
That chant to the sound of the viol, and invent to themselves instruments of musick, like David;

"They invent themselves instuments of music, like David" You see, using instruments that are modern to please God is not wrong. ROCK MUSIC is not wrong if you use it in the right way. David used his "modern" instruments to please God in song. Why can't we?