• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's wrong with Christian Rock?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

To use something "bad" to glorify God is Machiavellan - the ends justify the means. But God doesn't work that way. He wants purity - God tells us to "come out from among them and be ye separate..." and to "be not conformed to this world, but transformed..." If we used the world's music, we would be conforming to the world and not be separate. So - no, lasting results for glory to God will not come with using something bad.

• Members

I honestly don't believe that. Because all of us are sinners (something bad) and you're saying that something bad can't bring glory to God. So in turn you're saying that no human alive today can bring glory to God.

• Members

Christians are to grow in the Lord. How long has this Tobymac been a professing Christian? How does he present himself as having grown in the Lord today as compared to his days years ago with DC Talk?

Has his dress style changed to reflect a growth in Christ? Do the fruits of what he does, how he presents himself, even some of the songs he sings really show that he has grown in Christ over these years?

Certainly, the Lord can use a weak, new and/or immature Christian for His glory. However, we are not to remain weak, new or immature. We are to grow in the Lord. Each year we should be able to look back and see some growth. We are not to remain as babes in Christ feeding upon the milk only. We are to grow and mature, feeding upon the meat of the Lord.

• Members

So how they dress is a testament to their level of "savedness?" And do you think dcTalk was a good group? I'm asking because they aren't exactly "rule followers" here. And how do you judge another man's salvation. "Oh, he doesn't look like he's saved so he can't possibly be saved."

• Members

I said nothing about their "savedness". What I was saying is their level of maturity in Christ. If one presents themselves the same today as they did a dozen years ago; if their fruit and such are the same, then where is the evidence of any growth in Christ?

Scripture is clear that we are to grow in Christ. We are not to move closer to Christ and farther away from the things of the world as time goes by. We are not to be a mirror image of the lost. We are not to remain in the ways of the world. We are to ever grow closer to the Lord and those who see us are to be able to see Christ in us; not the world.

• Members
I honestly don't believe that. Because all of us are sinners (something bad) and you're saying that something bad can't bring glory to God. So in turn you're saying that no human alive today can bring glory to God.

That is not what HappyChristian is saying at all. When we get saved, we are "new creatures" in Christ Jesus (2 Cor. 5:17). As "new creatures" in Christ, we are to live holy and separated lives. Because Jesus Christ "became sin who had no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Cor. 5:21), we have been set free from the bondage of sin.

We are not to use the world's methods to glorify God. We are not to be "conformed" to the world, but we are to be "transformed" by the "renewing" of our mind. James said that "friendship with the world is enmity with God" (James 4:4) You will not be able to glorify God when you are holding on to "worldly lusts". Either you are on the side of the enemy (Satan) or you are on God's side. You can't be on both sides. You can't serve God and mammon.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

• Members

Yes, some styles of dress are absolutely of the world and not appropriate for a Christian. Should a Christian dress like they are a prostitute? A gang-affiliated ghetto street tough?

Dress style sends a message. Why do "tough guys" wear leather biker jackets, black jeans and boots and such? It sends a message. Why do prostitutes wear overly revealing outfits? It sends a message.

What kind of message should a Christian send with their style of dress? One that says "I'm just like the world" or one that says "I'm different from the world"?

• Administrators

That is not what HappyChristian is saying at all. When we get saved, we are "new creatures" in Christ Jesus (2 Cor. 5:17). As "new creatures" in Christ, we are to live holy and separated lives. Because Jesus Christ "became sin who had no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Cor. 5:21), we have been set free from the bondage of sin.

We are not to use the world's methods to glorify God. We are not to be "conformed" to the world, but we are to be "transformed" by the "renewing" of our mind. James said that "friendship with the world is enmity with God" (James 4:4) You will not be able to glorify God when you are holding on to "worldly lusts". Either you are on the side of the enemy (Satan) or you are on God's side. You can't be on both sides. You can't serve God and mammon.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Thanks, Linda! Couldn't have said it better myself!

No human alive today can truly bring glory to God unless #1 - they are saved; #2 - they are totally surrendered to Him. The glory we bring to God comes through Jesus Christ, who is the Lord of Glory...not through our goodness, since we have none in and of ourselves.

Yes, dress is vital - if it weren't, God wouldn't have made cloaks of animal skins for Adam and Eve - He would have allowed them to wear their leaf creations.

• Members

I used to be a Techno and Soft Rock producer. If that music is so good, can you tell me why I got a sort of depressed feeling when I would be working on a few songs all day and why my heart would usually beat in an abnormal way after producing?

Note: The depressed feeling was minor and it only happened if I'd been producing more music that day than usual.

• Members

Well...yes. A female wearing a mini-skirt is definitely not godly.

The same could be said about a man wearing a pair of tight trousers or trousers (?) that hanging down to your "rear" loose (that they continually are pulling up) and a dirty T-shirt.