• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's wrong with Christian Rock?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Looks like Samo just came here to "correct us", knock us, and to buck what we stand for. Hm, seems the exact opposite of fellowship, last I checked...

• Members

I came here to find out if all Baptists were like the ones i knew, and you were. And that makes me sad and angry at the same time. And you say you "stand for" Jesus. I have no problem with him, in fact we're quite close.

• Members

Yup, you're right - we love the Bible and we hate compromise... One day, perhaps you will understand. Until then, you might enjoy your other message board instead of this narrow, close-minded, Bible-thumping, hard-line one.

• Members
define "Spiritual Songs and Psalms"

Spiritual songs and Psalms are based on the Scriptures--as the old hymns of the faith found in our "old fashion" hymnbooks. The old hymns of the faith are being replaced with CCM (Contemporary Christian Music and so-called Christian Rock music). The writers of those old hymns were men and women of faith. They wrote lyrics based on the Word of God--and the melodies matched the message. Not like today--when Christian lyrics are "attached" to rock music and it is called "Christian". Music is not neutral.

Also, spiritual songs and psalms don't gratify the flesh--they glorify the Lord Jesus Christ.

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; (Ephesians 5:19)

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (Colossians 3:16)

I would suggest you read that article I posted.

• Members

God condemned the religious leaders of Ezekiel's day for mixing the holy and the profane.

Ezekiel 22:26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

No difference!

You think God is ok with it nowadays?

Words like these are sacred because they are about God:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

Groups like this are profane:

pearljampearljamticketsjx0.jpg

WHY??? should a Christian mix the two and call it "Christian" rock? Changing the words and saying you are worshipping God does not make it Christian anymore than a practicing, willful homosexual saying he is a Christian make him one.

Christian rock groups look like secular groups and perform in the same manner as secular groups (i.e. driving their audience wild, heavy beat, jamming, gyrating, body surfing, have the people idolize them, girls throwing their undergarments at them, ad nauseum).

I saw an ad for a group one time and thought it was for a heavy metal rock group. It wasn't until I got up close and read the fine print that I saw a vague reference to Jesus.

Come out from among them and be ye separate!

• Administrators

Several years ago there was a missionary to Africa whose children received some rock music records from the US friends (some friends, eh?). The kids were listening to them daily until one of the converted Africans came to the missonary and asked him why his children played the music that invited demons to enter them?

Tune is as important as lyrics. "Christian" rock is an oxymoron.

Satan was the angel of music when in Heaven, and once he was cast out, used his music to fool people. Now he is using "Christian" rock to fool Christians who want to hang onto the world along with Christianity.

• Members

We are getting off topic from mixing holy and profane things but anyhoo...

Some believe that Satan* was musical because of the following passage:

Ez. 28:12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.

13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.

*We believe this is indeed Satan because this section is addressed to the king of Tyre instead of the prince of Tyre, the Eden reference and also because this personage is called the "covering cherub".

• Members

The term "rock" in Rock Music comes from the slang phrase "rock and roll" which meant to have sex(usually the adultery kind).

Many songs use the terms, rock, rock&roll, rockin & rollin, etc. to mean just that.

I could list the lyrics to some of the songs that use it in that meaning, as I once listened to the garbage, but that wouldn't be proper here.

Rock and Roll music has it's origin in a sinful act. The term "rock and roll" is still used today to describe that sinful act.

No such thing as "Christian Rock"