• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Catholic View of Salvation

• Members

Catholics are amillennial--they don't believe in a Rapture--it all started with Augustine, the father of Roman Catholicism. As a matter of fact, if anyone is interested, John Calvin quoted Augustine over 400 times in his "Institutes Of The Christian Religion". Calvinism has its roots in Augustinianism/Catholicism.

• Members

When I was in Catholic school we were taught about right wing organizations. Back then the Communists were on the left and the Nazis were on the right. We learned about the KKK and the John Birch Society. We learned that one of the K's meant "Catholic" and that a large number of people mostly in the south hated us. For the life of me I couldn't understand how we could be hated for following Jesus and being a part of the one true church. Here I was giving my 1-cent a week allowance to adopt missionary babies in Africa, going to Mass every day and praying the rosary and novenas and stations of the cross, and praying for people to be let out of Purgatory on All Soul's Day, and shopping for the nuns, and wanting to be a nun so that I could spend all my time in prayer and worship, and people wanted to kill us. That showed how we would be persecuted for His name's sake.

Just a little peek into the life of a child.

• Members

The original Klan wasn't anti-Catholic, but then Catholicism wasn't a problem they were facing.

The new Klan which came about in the early 20th century was anti-Catholic, in part because of the mass immgration coming from Eastern and Southern Europe. Most of those immigrants were Catholics. Catholics were viewed as servants of the devil and the Pope was, one of the Popes would one day soon be the anti-christ.

I was interested to learn that it was Catholics who first fought to have Bibles removed from the public schools in America. This was mostly because they objected to the "Protestant" Bible being used rather than a Catholic Bible.

• Members

[quote]
Catholics were viewed as servants of the devil [b]and the Pope was[/b], one of the Popes would one day soon be the anti-christ.
[/quote]

Is there something missing in this sentence or am I to read it "and the Pope was a servant of the devil."?

• Members

WOW!!!

i guess i have all the bases covered--according to these catholics, i was saved long before i ever really knew about what Christ really did for me.

now i will admit that i can't really remember ever not believing in God, but to find out that when i went through being sprinkled and holding my first communion wafer in my mouth, i was going to go to heaven---that is as long as i didn't do anything to upset the Big Guy?

i really hate to break the news to all you devout :? catholics out there, you CAN NOT LOSE YOUR SALVATION ONCE YOU ARE SAVED :!: .

you can get bogged down in your own sinful nature.
that is a battle that will never stop, even for the best saved person in the world. some folks are much better at following Christ than others, and some of the best people who show themselves to be the best christians harbor the worst inner secrets you can imagine.

for some, being saved is like a ton of bricks falling on them and the changes are near instantaneous and miraculous. for others it may not be so overtly obvious and may take years to be complete if ever. BUT :!: , ONCED SAVED ALWAYS SAVED!!

anything else makes Jesus a liar, and i hate to tell ya this, but Jesus is NOT the father of lies.

it takes a whole lot of conceit to assume anyone other than the Holy Spirit, Jesus or the Father can identify a christian--we may be judged by our beliefs, but not by a man, sorry to disappoint :oops: :D :) :( .

• Members

In my youth I had a Catholic friend and he believed he was okay with God since he attended chruch every Sunday; even though he was sleeping off a hangover during most services!

It's sad when you witness to a Catholic and they tell you they don't need all that "Protestant stuff" because they are a member of "the Church" and they say their Hail Marys and whatnot. :(

• Members

appearantly, this is mostly in North American churches. I am not promoting catholicism here, but those outside North America are much better at actually understanding what catholics believe. They would reject what your friend / and those you have witnessed to. They still believe you can lose your salvation, but they are not doctrinally stupid either.

• Members

While attending university a friend and I had some rather good success in bringing Catholics to Christ. However, those we had success with were not ones who were "devout" Catholics. They were Catholic because they were "born" Catholic.

Those who considered themselves devout Catholics were another story. They held to Catholic doctrine, spouted it out as quick as one could attempt to speak the truth, and considered those Catholics who "converted" to be traitors.

• Members

I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, received catechism, sat through Roman Catholic LATIN mass every morning, including Saturdays, received Communion every Sunday after begging a MAN for forgiveness every Saturday evening--it's STILL just a bunch of hokum :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I actually came to trust Jesus after going (in secret) with my great gramma (Lord rest her, and God bless her) to an IBC one Sunday morning. Finally, somebody who talked about who Jesus was, what Jesus did, that Jesus was coming back--FOR ME!!

God bless that precious day!!

I'm so sorry they can't all receive the awakening I did. I pray someday they will, AMEN?

• Members

I figured you were an former Catholic when I saw the picture of Jesus on the cross! :mrgreen: I'm a former Catholic myself. God is merciful to have given us the opportunity to hear the truth. May His name be praised forevermore.

• Members

My sister became a Catholic a couple of years ago, and frankly, a lot of what she told me about the Catholic faith was not what I had been told previously. I think there are a lot of misunderstandings about what Catholics believe.

Catholics are Christian; my sister is very devout and knows her faith. She loves Jesus and gives her life to him.

Of course there are people in every church, Catholic or not, that are just filling up space in a pew. One isn't saved by mere church attendance, but by accepting Jesus.