• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Catholic View of Salvation

• Members
Would you say then that using Sunday School materials for small children should not have "pictures" of Jesus or God? We have a 2 year old' date=' and we're wanting to get materials for teaching her, however it seems like so much of the materials have Jesus or God pictured on the coloring pages, or books or flannel graph materials. We definitely would NOT get the sort that has Jesus with long hair, but we're not even sure that there should be any type of picture of Jesus or God and leave her with the impression that Jesus/God looks such and such a way. I would think if one would ask the average joblo on the street what Jesus looks like - he would say that he has long hair and sort of puny, and that's because of the pictures that we've all grown up seeing. Could/Should we try to avoid that as much as possible with our children?[/quote']

I believe the Bible teaches we are not to make any images of any member of the Godhead/Trinity:

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

That means no images of the Father (who never took on a physical form), of the Son (look at Deuteronomy 4 below - which forbids the making of any images of God that are a human likeness), or of the Holy Spirit (such as pictures of a Dove to represent Him).

Deuteronomy 4:15-19 Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the LORD spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air, The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth: And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.

Deuteronomy 4:23-25 Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the LORD thy God hath forbidden thee. For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God. When thou shalt beget children, and children's children, and ye shall have remained long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, and shall do evil in the sight of the LORD thy God, to provoke him to anger:

• 13 years later...
  • Members
On 4/8/2006 at 8:55 PM, Jerry said:

I agree that someone else's idol cannot harm us - but the Bible does forbid believers themselves having anything to do with idols. Deuteronomy 4 and 7 are good passages on that. I won't let someone's crucifix hinder me from witnessing to them - though I would certainly have a problem if someone was visiting and they wanted to bring their idols in my house.

There were instances in KJV where one person had an idol,  and many suffered for it.

I don't remember any such case in the NT,  but it might be likely as it is today - persons with so-called 'liberty' to not just have an idol but to daily practice idolatry  will likely pass it on to others in the assembly and they all will suffer according to God's Plan or God's Choice.

On 4/8/2006 at 8:12 PM, hannah said:

The other has liberty.

In this presumed declared context, as if to enter a house where a false gospel (as well as idolatry)  is always present,  the one with liberty will, did, or is likely blatantly disobeying Jesus' Instructions and sinning and risking the penalty of bringing a false gospel as well, as written somewhere in the KJV,  AND causing others to stumble,  whoever sees them sin so brashly and openly.  (medical idolatry,  investment / stock market/ financial idolatry,  religious idolatry,  "oh it is just a trinket" casual idolatry,  "it was an idol/sin,  but now it is redeemed false teaching idolatry,  and so on)

• Members
On 4/8/2006 at 3:19 PM, Jerry said:

I know I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been on this: I think oftentimes we do things out of ignorance without any actual deliberate intention to sin or break God's commandments - but because part of this thread referred to pictures of Jesus, I posted what the Bible says about that.

"I did it more of a reminder of how we should think on the issue, rather than as a rebuke for not knowing otherwise. I hope you take it that way. I know we are all at different levels in our growth and walks with the Lord - and not all of us see or understand issues the same way - especially when too many others stand on different places on some of these issues - the best thing to do is find out what the Bible says and do our best to stand there. God bless."

================================================================

As Jesus sternly warned all His followers:  A little leaven leavens the whole loaf.  Beware the leaven of the religious.  (yiphocracy).    If ANYONE brings a false gospel, do not greet them, do not eat with them,  for the danger of sharing in their sin.

Only agree with what God's Word, KJV,  Says.   Not one iota of man's additions or subtractions,  or anything else that is false, idolatrous, death dealing, and/or comes from the enemy of Christ.

On 4/5/2006 at 10:38 PM, John81 said:

in part because of the mass immgration coming from Eastern and Southern Europe. Most of those immigrants were Catholics. Catholics were viewed as servants of the devil as the Pope was, one of the Popes would one day soon be the anti-christ.

Humongous multitudes (by planning of the beast-whore religious government worldwide system) with other multitudes with still more multitudes coming from south of the border the last 50 years also - bringing massive idolatry

and few watchmen in Christ warning anyone about the invasion and the devastating curses that go along with allowing such blatant great frequent daily idolatry- including losing many sons and daughters,  perhaps also wives and husbands,  to the enemy.

• 5 months later...
  • Members
On 3/31/2006 at 1:15 PM, Kubel said:

What's strange is Catholicism has plenty of verses in scripture to back up their doctrines- but their application of those verses are so bizarre. And I thought some Baptists were bad for taking a few verses out of context. Try reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It's well cited with verses to back up everything- but almost everything is pulled out of context and in many cases, twisted to say something that not even the verse itself (let alone the rest of the chapter) is saying. It's amazing to me that people with access to even a NAB translation (Catholic translation) would continue to believe in these errors. Even their translation can show that they are misapplied.

Catholic salvation is works based, as they hold that one must arive at a spiritual state to merit God sdaving them, due to receiving additional gracing provided by their 7 sacraments!