• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyGotham

Homeschooling vs. Christian Private school

I homeschool my children because I am on the road. However, my preference is a good Christian school. Parents are responsible to educate their children. Parents who do not have the ability to homeschool should utilize a good christian school.

Guest Guest
I've been in a "good, straight down the line IFB Christian school", and the kids were as bad as public school kids and that had an influence on me. I'd rather homeschool.

Katy-Anne

Hi, I was raised in a Christian School my whole schooling life and I now Homeschool my own children. I see them flourish so much more than I even did and I made excellent grades where I was, but even though people worry about social barriers for my children, I can say that I did not like the social adversities that I faced while in my school. Most that go there are considered "privileged" because it usually cost a bit of money to have your children attend. And, as we all know that teens can be a big source of pressure to add to their peers, I endured but did not like it one bit and my grades began to faulter. I would highly recommend homeschooling. I know of one many who compelled his wife to homeschool their children and she was just not into the whole idea or way of thinking, so he took it upon himself to do it after he got home from work to show her how easy it is and how rewarding. After seeing him accomplish this task she took it on and they couldn't be happier. Seek the Lord's wisdom and advice on this front and see where he leads you and your family. It will be well worth it.

[quote="Kubel"]
Christian private schools can be just as bad as public schools. Homeschooling, if you can do it, is the way to go.
[/quote]

Nothing is as bad as public schools around here except maybe a prison.

I have met homeschoolers that it would be the same if their kids were simply playing hookey all year long.

I am all for homeschooling if it is done right, but I don't do blanket statements as to whether Christian school or homeschooling is better. :)

Guest Guest
Lol I've seen enough of supposedly "good, IFB Christian school" to know that I will make a blanket statement to say that homeschool is by far superior.

Katy-Anne

[quote="Katy-Anne"]
Lol I've seen enough of supposedly "good, IFB Christian school" to know that I will make a blanket statement to say that homeschool is by far superior.

Katy-Anne
[/quote]

I've seen enough lazy homeschooling families to know that blanket statements like that are completely false. :D

That or so proud and isolated that their children grow up with their nose in the air and have no social skills whatsoever.

I am not saying this is a blanket statement. I've met awesome homeschooled kids.

I personally attended public, Christian, AND homeschool myself while growing up, and have a degree in education, so I feel that I am very familiar with what is superior education and what is not. :wink:

I do know the public schools here stink... but as far as Christian vs. homeschool, it totally depends on the school, and totally depends on the family.

I would place a truly Christian oriented homeschool as the best option, with a truly Christian oriented Christian school as the next best option.

All public schools are at the bottom of the list as they are all godless.

Those Christian schools which use the same material as public schools and basically follow public school teaching guidlines, I don't believe should even be allowed to call themselves Christian schools.

What's the difference between ungodly material being taught from in a public school than in a Christian school?

Of course, many Christian schools are run by liberal and far from biblical "Christians" so it's no wonder they are as they are.

As with all things, it's a matter of the priority placed upon the Word of God.

I'd rather homeschool my kids

I graduated high school last year and I'm attending Bible college, and it has been a big relief for me to be able to fellowship with more friends at school.

The things I miss from public high school were the higher quality textbooks and academic standards. Aside from that, you're likely to be influenced by peers in public school.

We are homeschooling our sons. There are so many curriculum choices out there today it's amazing.

In the areas of Bible and history and geography, our oldest son is way ahead or beyond his public school peers. He is about equal with the peers, give or take a bit, in all other subjects.

Of course, there is material available for those who are more gifted which will often find the homeschool student anywhere from one to several years ahead of the public school peers.

One of the great things about homeschooling is you can choose a curriculum that best suits your own children. You can also let them advance quicker in areas where they are strong and give them extra time and practice in areas where they are weak.

I probably should qualify what I am saying... when I say "Christian school" I am talking about a Baptist school that is run by a good IFB Baptist church that requires their students to be members of a likeminded church.

I am not talking about the nondenom-Christian schools.

While I know what you met from past discussions on this topic, it is good to be specific for those who don't.

There are many Christian schools in the cities closet to here. Sadly, I don't know of a one that is truly Christian.

[quote="John81"]
While I know what you met from past discussions on this topic, it is good to be specific for those who don't.

There are many Christian schools in the cities closet to here. Sadly, I don't know of a one that is truly Christian.
[/quote]

Right, I happened to think that "Christian school" can mean about anything nowadays...haha...there are a ton of Catholic schools in our area. Its a huge Catholic area, and its very popular for those who can afford it to send their kids there to avoid the public schools.

I mean IFB church run schools. There can still be problems, I am watching the school we use very carefully in the high school... we are not there yet so everything is fine. But decisions will have to be made down the road if the students do not improve their spirituality by the time my kids reach high school.

[quote]
I am all for homeschooling if it is done right, but I don't do blanket statements as to whether Christian school or homeschooling is better. :)
[/quote]

I agree, Suzy. My husband and I have agreed that we will homeschool our children (if and when the Lord blesses us with any), but that is what we believe the Lord has called us to do. There are some good Christian schools and bad Christian schools, and in the good Christian schools there are "good" kids and "bad" kids. The key is [b][i]parental involvement[/i][/b]. As far as homeschooling is concerned, I don't know about the "right" way vs the "wrong" way. That seems pretty subjective. Again, the parents need to be [b][i]completely committed[/i][/b] to providing the best quality education they can for their child, whom God has entrusted to them.

I agree.

We stay very involved with our kids' education, actually my husband teaches one Bible class there each year, and last year I taught there half days...although I no longer do that, at least I am familiar with the school and the staff.

Anytime discipline is done at school, it is enforced at home...any time my son brought home papers that had notes on them that he was goofing off or too slow, he redid them and took them back. His teacher said she wishes all parents were like that. I think its just a matter of do you want your kids educated or do you want to pawn them off on somebody else.

Guest Guest
I knew what you meant too Suzy. I was in a "good, IFB Christian school" where you had to be a church member to let your kids go there. I learned my bad words there before I went to public school. Since my dad saw there was no difference between the Christian school and public school he decided to stop paying fees and send me to a public school where I'd get an Australian education (not an American education from Bob Jones curriculum).

Katy-Anne

[quote="Katy-Anne"]
I knew what you meant too Suzy. I was in a "good, IFB Christian school" where you had to be a church member to let your kids go there. I learned my bad words there before I went to public school. Since my dad saw there was no difference between the Christian school and public school he decided to stop paying fees and send me to a public school where I'd get an Australian education (not an American education from Bob Jones curriculum).

Katy-Anne
[/quote]

The difference is that you had parents who did not enforce the education at home.

My kids will hear bad words at church, school, the mall, the neighborhood kids that like to play ball on the church parking lot. The difference is how we as parents approach and deal with the situation. If it is a bad situation, of course we wouldn't allow it to go on, but there are some things your kids will hear it just about anywhere, and you just have to teach them how to deal with it.

If you think your kids will never hear a sware word while you homeschool, you may as well make sure you keep them away from all the church kids and leave them home whenever you go out anywhere. I heard some junk at my Christian school as well, but nothing I wouldn't have heard at church (with the same kids) or on youth activities (worse than school), etc.

Guest Guest
That's not what I meant Suzy. I know they are going to hear bad words, but when it is as bad at Christian school as it is at public school, well, you got a problem. Bullying and everything else was just as bad too. I went through so much at school and I don't think any child should have to go through what I did. I mean some of these Christian school boys were the children of a prominent preacher in our church and they used to put their hands on girls any time they could. I had it much the same at public school. But it is still a parents choice where to send their kids to school but I don't trust so-called "Christian" schools myself.

Katy-Anne