• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschooling vs. Christian Private school

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As you know, I have no problem with a truly good Christian school. I posted the article so others could read it and think about it.

You're cool with me Suzy! :cool:

Yeah, yeah. :saint

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have had my oldest son is public school, for kindergarten, but even at that age HUGE mistake! I have had four of my children in our church's school, and rather enjoyed that. Now we are homeschooling all of them, and love it! I am one of those that believes each family is different, and while Christian schools (IFB, under the authority of the church,etc. type) are the best thing for some families, homeschooling is the best for others. Homeschooling is not for everyone. Once the children all got into the Church school, we planned on keeping them there until graduation. Last summer God changed our plans, and He has blessed us this past year for following Him. I know what it is like to be in an ungodly, downright worldly youth group (in an IFB church) and I know how this can affect you, IF you let it. The fact is, whether it is the Christian school, the youth group, or the Sunday school class. The people involved are human, and make choices that affect others. I had to learn to get past what other people do, and realize I had to make decisions for myself based on God's word, not necessarily the popular thing. I have a dear friend who thinks I am a fruit cake because of my stand on dress, she is also an assistant pastor's wife in an IFB church. Ultimately, I am not responsible for her, I am responsible for me. Just something to think about...

• Members

:goodpost: Well said bobbins!

Our oldest son went to public school until second grade (big mistake!) and he (we) still suffer some of the consequences of that even today! :(

Sadly, I have seen many "good church kids" go bad, and typically they go bad with friends from their church groups! I think too many parents and too many youth group leaders, Sunday school teachers and others fail to pay proper heed to their children. Some think just because they are in church or involved in church groups they are safe and all is well. Children are children, sin nature and all, and they all need to be watched closely, supervised well and taught and instructed properly in how to live for the Lord and not become entangled in the world.

• Members

I cannot even venture a guess at how many times the Lord has brought "a child left to himself will bring his mother to shame" to my mind! You are so right, even the "good kids" have to be watched closely. A friend of mine said one time of her neice and nephew, they are not good kids because they are good, they are good kids because their parents don't give them a lot of opportunity to not be good. That changed the direction of my thinking!

• Members

They are not good kids because they are good, they are good kids because their parents don't give them a lot of opportunity to not be good. That changed the direction of my thinking!

That is so true. I am close friends to a family at church, who have the best behaved kids at church (in my opinion, which is slightly baised). However the kids are disciplined and supervised and taught to the point where they don't have much opportunity to be bad. If they disobey me or are disrespectful in front of me and mom's not around, she wants me to let her know asap. Other kids at church whose parents are not as proactive in disciplining and supervising (and believe, it shows) are nowhere near as good.

Now granted, some kids personalities make them seem better than others, but you can definitely tell who's disciplined and supervised to the point of not having a chance to be bad.

Ramba29

• Members

I am in total agreement about the supervision and discipline thing you all have been discussing. And a child that is well-behaved and thoroughly, consistently supervised will definitely not be a bad influence to the truly godly other children. However, I have seen what the outwardly obedient child who is still unregenerate ends up doing. So, I would like to add and encourage that a parent must also be as Job, who prayed fervently for his children. We might think we know their hearts, but the Bible says "who can know it?" Prayer, adherence to Biblical principles, and setting forth the right example--these are so important. And also letting others know that YOU want to know when your child has done wrong (so you can administer correction promptly.) And dear parent, sometimes a really strong-willed child may have to grow up before they truly trust the Lord Jesus Christ as his Savior. Being a good kid is not salvation.

On the same note, I think Michael Pearl has an article about the influences on children within the church. It's very good, but I cannot recall the title.

• Members

Children left to themselves or under the supervision of those who don't hold to solid biblical standards will naturally, because of their sin nature, take to the wrong path.

This is one of the main reasons it makes no sense for Christians to send their children to public schools. How can a child be properly trained in the way he should go when he spends seven hours a day, five days a week, 9 months out of the year in the company of unsaved children, being taught by unsaved teachers from unbiblical textbooks?

Prayer is a very important factor. We need to pray continually for our children as well as for the Lord to help us to be the parents He would have us to be.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's the link to some sermons on the subject:

(You can download free mp3s or if you are an iTunes user, a free podcast) Pastor Anderson has a great perspective on the issue of homeschooling vs. other schools

• Members

Here's the link to some sermons on the subject:

(You can download free mp3s or if you are an iTunes user, a free podcast) Pastor Anderson has a great perspective on the issue of homeschooling vs. other schools

No offense Janine, but umm...I think we all have that site memorized by now. :)