• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschooling vs. Christian Private school

• Members

We are homeschooling our sons. There are so many curriculum choices out there today it's amazing.

In the areas of Bible and history and geography, our oldest son is way ahead or beyond his public school peers. He is about equal with the peers, give or take a bit, in all other subjects.

Of course, there is material available for those who are more gifted which will often find the homeschool student anywhere from one to several years ahead of the public school peers.

One of the great things about homeschooling is you can choose a curriculum that best suits your own children. You can also let them advance quicker in areas where they are strong and give them extra time and practice in areas where they are weak.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I probably should qualify what I am saying... when I say "Christian school" I am talking about a Baptist school that is run by a good IFB Baptist church that requires their students to be members of a likeminded church.

I am not talking about the nondenom-Christian schools.

• Members

While I know what you met from past discussions on this topic, it is good to be specific for those who don't.

There are many Christian schools in the cities closet to here. Sadly, I don't know of a one that is truly Christian.

• Members

[quote="John81"]
While I know what you met from past discussions on this topic, it is good to be specific for those who don't.

There are many Christian schools in the cities closet to here. Sadly, I don't know of a one that is truly Christian.
[/quote]

Right, I happened to think that "Christian school" can mean about anything nowadays...haha...there are a ton of Catholic schools in our area. Its a huge Catholic area, and its very popular for those who can afford it to send their kids there to avoid the public schools.

I mean IFB church run schools. There can still be problems, I am watching the school we use very carefully in the high school... we are not there yet so everything is fine. But decisions will have to be made down the road if the students do not improve their spirituality by the time my kids reach high school.

• Members

[quote]
I am all for homeschooling if it is done right, but I don't do blanket statements as to whether Christian school or homeschooling is better. :)
[/quote]

I agree, Suzy. My husband and I have agreed that we will homeschool our children (if and when the Lord blesses us with any), but that is what we believe the Lord has called us to do. There are some good Christian schools and bad Christian schools, and in the good Christian schools there are "good" kids and "bad" kids. The key is [b][i]parental involvement[/i][/b]. As far as homeschooling is concerned, I don't know about the "right" way vs the "wrong" way. That seems pretty subjective. Again, the parents need to be [b][i]completely committed[/i][/b] to providing the best quality education they can for their child, whom God has entrusted to them.

• Members

I agree.

We stay very involved with our kids' education, actually my husband teaches one Bible class there each year, and last year I taught there half days...although I no longer do that, at least I am familiar with the school and the staff.

Anytime discipline is done at school, it is enforced at home...any time my son brought home papers that had notes on them that he was goofing off or too slow, he redid them and took them back. His teacher said she wishes all parents were like that. I think its just a matter of do you want your kids educated or do you want to pawn them off on somebody else.

Guest Guest

I knew what you meant too Suzy. I was in a "good, IFB Christian school" where you had to be a church member to let your kids go there. I learned my bad words there before I went to public school. Since my dad saw there was no difference between the Christian school and public school he decided to stop paying fees and send me to a public school where I'd get an Australian education (not an American education from Bob Jones curriculum).

Katy-Anne

• Members

[quote="Katy-Anne"]
I knew what you meant too Suzy. I was in a "good, IFB Christian school" where you had to be a church member to let your kids go there. I learned my bad words there before I went to public school. Since my dad saw there was no difference between the Christian school and public school he decided to stop paying fees and send me to a public school where I'd get an Australian education (not an American education from Bob Jones curriculum).

Katy-Anne
[/quote]

The difference is that you had parents who did not enforce the education at home.

My kids will hear bad words at church, school, the mall, the neighborhood kids that like to play ball on the church parking lot. The difference is how we as parents approach and deal with the situation. If it is a bad situation, of course we wouldn't allow it to go on, but there are some things your kids will hear it just about anywhere, and you just have to teach them how to deal with it.

If you think your kids will never hear a sware word while you homeschool, you may as well make sure you keep them away from all the church kids and leave them home whenever you go out anywhere. I heard some junk at my Christian school as well, but nothing I wouldn't have heard at church (with the same kids) or on youth activities (worse than school), etc.

Guest Guest

That's not what I meant Suzy. I know they are going to hear bad words, but when it is as bad at Christian school as it is at public school, well, you got a problem. Bullying and everything else was just as bad too. I went through so much at school and I don't think any child should have to go through what I did. I mean some of these Christian school boys were the children of a prominent preacher in our church and they used to put their hands on girls any time they could. I had it much the same at public school. But it is still a parents choice where to send their kids to school but I don't trust so-called "Christian" schools myself.

Katy-Anne

• Members

I agree that your experience has caused you to doubt Christian schooling. Just keep in mind that you can't make blanket statements that apply to everyone, all over the world, just because you had a bad experience. :) You are completely correct in what you have experienced and how you plan to raise your future children because of it...your only mistake is to assume that every last IFB school here in America is just like the bad one you attended in Australia. Its not fair to assume things like that.

• Members

We report, you decide. :wink:

------------------------------------------------
Why Home Schools Are Superior to Private Schools
by Gary North

I have been part of the Christian school movement ever since 1962, when I read R. J. Rushdoony's 1961 book, Intellectual Schizophrenia. His 1963 book, The Messianic Character of American Education, only reaffirmed what I already believed.

I came into contact with Robert and Rosemary Thoburn, the creators of the profit-seeking Fairfax Christian School, sometime around 1969. Mrs. Thoburn taught a generation of Christian school entrepreneurs how to teach children how to read through phonics. The founders of the A Beka program were taught by her.

Over the years, I have watched the parallel development of Christian home schooling and Christian day schooling. I have come to the conclusion that home schools are superior on average.

There are reasons for this. Here are a few of them.

MOTIVATION

Parents are more interested in their children's performance than salaried teachers are. Teachers must concern themselves with a room full of other people's children. A mother concerns herself with a room full of her children. It is a smaller room.

Let me cut short a mistake. Beyond the second or third grade, parents should cease worrying about individual instruction, unless the child has a learning disability. The concern over student/teacher ratios is a concern of the teacher unions. It should not be a concern of parents. The older the child is, the more true the statement is.

I feel sorry for the high school students of parents

• Members

Gee probably because I'm a Christian school teacher (or former) who sends my kids to Christian school and I didn't even have to read half the article to feel quite "inferior".

:roll:

:saint