• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschooling vs. Christian Private school

• Members

Our teachers allowed us to cheat on our test. They tell us that we can write all the information we wanted on one sheet of paper (front and back) that will help us pass our test.

And our textbooks allow us to check our answer every other odd numbers on the back of their book. They did this all through my PUBLIC high school in regular classes in the 90's.

We were allowed to cheat.

I am not saying cheating is a good thing, but saying I don't see how it is any different than ACE or whatever it is. It all depends on the teachers or if they are homeschooled, the parents.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

We use Alpha Omega in our homeschool but the children have never checked their own work. After I have checked my oldest sons work, I give it back to him so he can make corrections, which I check.

I have no idea where you are getting the idea that Alpha Omega is set up for no parental involvement and that students do and check their own work. Perhaps a private school used their material that way, but that's not how it's set up and not how we use the material.

• Members

John, I believe you did it the right way! The Christian school that I attended w/the ACE (which is pretty much identical to Alpha/Omega) they had scoring stations that we had to raise our flag to go "score" our work. The only thing we weren't allowed to check ourselves was the FINAL TEST, we were able to check all the checkup's (mini tests) within the pace. The "teachers" we had knew absolutely NOTHING about math or english and that's why I did cheat. I really believe that I would have learned more if someone could have taught me when I had questions. My parents were missionaries and really didn't have lots of time to make sure we were "getting it" and were more actively involved in mission work than our schooling. AT the first opportunity, they did put us in a school for missionary kids, which we didn't have to "go away" to it was right there in town. SO, based on my experience w/those systems of education, I won't ever do them....But like I said before, Whatever works best for your family, is not always the best solution for another.

Ginger