• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschooling vs. Christian Private school

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to that Katy-Anne. I've been an IFB all my life and was in Christian school all the way up--a little better than public school, but not much.

Janine S.

:sing:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

WHEW, there are a lot of different opinions here. I do NOT nor ever will homeschool. Of course I totally believe it depends on the parent. Homeschooling is NOT something that I am even remotely interested in. My children need to get out and be among peers or they will not be able to function socially once they leave home. YES, Christian school can be just as bad as public, but the education they get is FAR superior than anything I or public school can teach them. My children do go to private school and it's worth every penny that I send there. YES, they are influenced (sometimes badly) by their peers, but we use it as a learning tool as to how we don't act or tolerate behavior. We go to a Baptist church, the children attended AWANA, go to private school and they have Christian friends and they still have a sin nature and will still do what they can to bend the rules. My kids' teachers do not raise my children, I do, they just reinforce what I'm teaching them at home. Of course I'm totally FOR my Christian School, it's the BEST. I guess it all depends on the school....I'd recommend checking it out first and making sure they believe the way that you do....Then when the "negative peer pressure" happens, you know how they will deal w/it and they will know how you will deal w/it.

We had a big homeschool group at our church and they were ALWAYS telling me that I SHOULD homeschool my children and forcing their belief's on me. Since I did not homeschool, I was treated like a "woman scorned" and effectively left out of any conversation and friendships dissolved because I wasn't into it.

Homeschooling is great for those that choose to do it, I just don't choose to do it!

Ginger

• Members

Typically I'm so frustrated w/my children's behavior. They can be hateful, fight, ugly and all those other descriptions that can describe a "bratty/naughty child", but I have to say....We don't allow sass in the house or disrespect, they will still try and reap the consequences....that being said, my kids are probably WORSE for me than they are for anyone else. They are extremely wellbehaved at school and at other people's houses. My mother in law stated it correctly (she taught 3rd grade public school for 26 years) Children need to let out the naughtiness somewhere and it's better to be naughtier at home than "out". With that said, If your children are naughty at home but good at church, school, grocery store, etc, then you are doing your job as a parent!!!

As to that "I worship the KJV bible" YIKES!!! My pastor is not KJV only and his reply to the bible translations is...."We worship King Jesus, not King James Version" nuff said!

Ginger

• Members

My children need to get out and be among peers or they will not be able to function socially once they leave home.

This is a lie that has been debunked by my own personal experience and plenty of studies. With all the other activities you have involved your children in, they are getting plenty of "socialization."

Christian school can be just as bad as public, but the education they get is FAR superior than anything I or public school can teach them.

First of all, there are many good Christian school curricula out there that do everything for you. The schedules are planned for you already, suggested "field trips" and activities, grade books, etc. All you have to do is be willing to sacrifice your time to teach your children.

My kids' teachers do not raise my children,

This depends on how much time your children spend at school. It's good that you found a Christian school that believes similarly as you do. But in many school settings (that includes Christian schools), the students are at school up to 10 hours a day. Add to that a couple of hours of homework, sports, dinner, and you'll end up spending less than a couple of hours with your own children. That's not a lot of time to "deal with" the negatives your children have been exposed to. Your two hours with them will not take out the 10-12 hours the world has them.

Choosing whether to homeschool your children is your decision, but don't make it sound like the rest of us are cheating our children by homeschooling. One day, I'll have to stand before God and answer for how I raised my children. I feel comfortable with how I'll answer that question. I hope you will too.

Mitch

• Members

ARGH! I had this reply all figured out and got knocked off the internet before I could send it.

I never did say that homeschoolers were depriving their children, I said, MY children would be deprived if they were homeschooled. I don't want anyone to think that I'm degrading homeschooling. It's a GREAT calling, I'm just not called to do it. Someone mentioned a preacher that preached homeschooling....Can someone show me where it does say to homeschool your children in the Bible? I know there isn't anything in there about public or private, so it's all a moot point.

I will be able to stand before God and be confident that I provided the VERY BEST for my family and children. See, my sister and I were homeschooled, private schooled, (alpha/omega, and ACE talke about a gold mine for cheating, I would NEVER use that method! And don't kid yourselves if you don't think that those kids aren't remembering what the score key says....We can all just unscrew the halo's and remember we ALL have a sin nature) public schooled and we BOTH feel that we were not given the means to be of much service to society. We were both lacking in english skills, math skills and social skills. Of course Home school has changed tremendously since we were in that situation....Now I understand you can just plug in a VCR and let that teacher teach the cirriculum....This is what I have heard from some homeschoolers that I know....I'm not saying it's all that way. I know there are parents out there that set up a school and they make their kids act like they are in a school setting etc, but I also know that there are those out there that just plug in the TV and they go off and the kids basically teach themselves....No parental involvement at all.

My kids LOVE their school. They are only there for 8 hours a day and once a week they have basketball practice (for now, they are only in elementary, I know it will change in Jr/Sr. High) They love the days they get field trips, they love their teachers and have all made very good friends, but I have had to ask my son's not to behave like some of their classmates when their behavior is inappropriate.

I may not be sacrificing my "TIME" to be at home and teach my children, which I don't feel God has called me to do, but I am sacrificing my $$ and having a new car, house, clothes, etc so that they can go to the school that they do go to. I don't believe that God will condemn me for making that choice because we did pray about it and came to that decision between my husband, God and I. Right now, the only way that I would homeschool is if we were in a foreign country as missionaries and there wasn't a school around at all that my children could attend, since we aren't called to be missionaries, we're going to send them to private school.

We can debate this ALL day if we want, it really comes down to what God lays on your heart to do and if you follow through with what God is leading, you are in God's will, if you don't, then you are out of God's will. The same things can be applied with anything that can be debated....women and pants, KJV vs any other version, men wearing beards and singing in the choir....It's all just legalism if it's not in the Bible.

Not trying to make anyone mad, just stating some beliefs that I feel strongly about.....just like everyone else. ;o)

Ginger

• Members

alpha/omega, and ACE talke about a gold mine for cheating, I would NEVER use that method!
I hate to break it to ya, but most public school let their students cheat too. every heard of Cheat-Sheet? The let us use it all the time when I was in public school (I was in mainstreamed public school from K-12)

• Members

Ok, let's all UNSCREW the Halo's! You know that cheating happens, no matter what circumstance it is,(Both of my boys have cheated and they are sweet, christian boys, they were caught and got and needless to say, it doesn't happen anymore! Talk about the WRATH OF DAD!) but ACE and Alpha/Omega are exceptions to a "cheat sheet". When a student, no matter how spiritual we would all like to think our kids are, is allowed to check his/her own work, go back and correct it, and then get it wrong again, because you don't know how to actually DO the work, they will memorize the answer and correct it. I know, I was there. I didn't know how to label sentences or do math well in ACE or Alpha Omega, No one was there to help me (this was in a school setting, not homeschool) and in order to not be 29 days past "target test date" I did remember the answers. STill was that much past my test date and never did learn how to label sentences I did get 10 swats tho from the principal's wife for not making my Target test date! We were pulled out of that school and put into Public school. In that environment, I was taught to label sentences and made an A in English (this was 10th grade for me) and I learned something in Public school that I didn't learn in private school (ACE Method).

I still prefer the traditional method of teaching (NOT ACE or Alpha Omega) in a private school. They use the Abeka primarily and other stuff for the high school. Bob Jones etc. Our principal taught Math at La Tourneau University in TX. I believe I have hit the gold mine as far as Christian Education is concerned in our school. If we had to move, I don't know what I would do!

My kids are only in Elementary, they make MOstly A's and some B's. When the grades start to drop AT ALL, we are studying more at home, and the kids lose TV or sports priviledges. Needless to say C's are not acceptable in our house, and we don't get many because my husband and I are there to help them out when they are struggling. I will make extra work for my kids and do make "study sheets" on my own for my kids before a test and they always make an A on the tests when I make that extra effort. I really feel that if I'm going to sacrifice my $$ for them to go there, their JOB is to make good grades. We don't exprect any less.

I"m sorry if I've opened a can of worms, but some things I really feel strongly about, just like everyone else in this forum and we are all entitled to our own opinions. I guess I have seen and been involved in ALL sorts of education and what I have done for my children is the very best for our family.

Ginger

• Members

I cheated all though High school. It was a small christian school with small class sizes. The amazing part was there were 2 or 3 students in a class of 15 that would not, but the rest of us did. This had absolutely nothing to do with curriculum and everything to do with naive teachers. (You don't tell a bunch of 11th graders to grade each other's papers.)

• Members

LOL I will agree w/that! Most kids do cheat, but there are certain curriculum that will be easier to cheat from than others. IF I had to do ACE or Alpha Omega w/my kids, I would be the one checking the papers, not the kids. That temptation is just too much for some kids.

Ginger