• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Happy 200th Birthday to a good man...

• Members

Were there any other "unconstitutional presidents" or just the one associated with the Civil War (er, The War Between the States, um, or was it The War of Northern Aggression?).

I read of Abraham Lincoln being a bad prez and in recent history, Clinton and GWB being a bad prez. Surely there were other unconstitutional presidents. Why aren't more articles written about them?

• Members
Were there any other "unconstitutional presidents" or just the one associated with the Civil War (er, The War Between the States, um, or was it The War of Northern Aggression?).

I read of Abraham Lincoln being a bad prez and in recent history, Clinton and GWB being a bad prez. Surely there were other unconstitutional presidents. Why aren't more articles written about them?

There have been several presidents who failed to abide by the Constitution. There are articles and books written on them; FDR and LBJ to name just two from the 20th century. Grant (19th century) is one whose corruption has much been written about.

Typically, wartime presidents are able to push things to extremes that non-wartime presidents can't get away with.

• Members

Sorry, forgot to mention this in my previous post...

Judge Napolitano has written and spoken about unconstitutional aspects of Lincoln's and Bush's presidencies. I mostly wanted to mention this because it takes us up to the present...or very recent past. We'll have to wait a few years, and hope the freedom for such remains, before we can begin reading about the unconstitutional aspects of the Obama Administration.

• Members
I guess I fail to understand why so much emphasis is placed on one dead president. Don't get me wrong' date=' I love history but pick on Lincoln so much?[/quote']

After Lincoln was assasinated the Radical Republicans, and others, began to carefully build the myth of Lincoln which has been the standard taught in America for generations. It's only been in more recent times that the truth has been able to be brought forth in wide circulation.

It's not about picking on Lincoln, it's about setting the record straight; exposing the lies and establishing the truth.

I'm against those who simply set forth to trash or demonize every aspect of any leader, whether Lincoln, Hitler, Reagan, Stalin, Clinton or Churchill, just as I'm against the putting forth of lies in order to build them up into something they are not or to make them appear even better or worse than they were. Let the truth speak for itself.

• Members
Lincoln did trample on the Constitution but he was forced to because of Europe. The Europeans powers, including the Vatican, still wanted control of what they thought was theirs and they were doing this by splitting up the Union. A lot has been written on this but check out William Grady's book "What Hath God Wrought: A Biblical Interpretation of Amercian History." Lincoln knew that popish people were going to try to kill him. Even to this day there are politicians who would love to bring us back under European powers.

Bill

Blame it on the Catholics....

It seems the classy thing to do as an IFB.

• Members
Lincoln did trample on the Constitution but he was forced to because of Europe. The Europeans powers, including the Vatican, still wanted control of what they thought was theirs and they were doing this by splitting up the Union. A lot has been written on this but check out William Grady's book "What Hath God Wrought: A Biblical Interpretation of Amercian History." Lincoln knew that popish people were going to try to kill him. Even to this day there are politicians who would love to bring us back under European powers.

Bill

Okay....this is classic...and looney. lol

(of course, anything coming from William Grady would have to be. :P)

• Members
No matter which side anyone falls on this subject' date=' everyone still has only writers to rely on when it comes to Lincoln. There aren't any eyewitnesses (or earwitnesses) left. It all comes down to whom one chooses to believe and why.[/quote']

There are plenty of first hand accounts by those closest to Lincoln, including his wife, and they all proclaim Lincoln wasn't a Christian. So what it really comes down to is whether one believes those who knew Lincoln best or those from the outside who make different claims than those who knew him best.

• Members

Okay....this is classic...and looney. lol

(of course, anything coming from William Grady would have to be. :P)

Actually, that particular book is a very good one. One thing that book does point out with regards to the RCC is the fact they took advantage of Lincoln's recruitment in Europe for soldiers. The RCC pushed its underclass followers to take the free trip to America so as to boost their numbers and political power in America.

Another thing pointed out was how the RCC attempted to poise themselves so whichever side won they could take full advantage of the situation.

I don't recall reading any of the wild and speculative conspiracy theories others put forth. Some of which go so far as to say the Pope orchestrated the war, set out to kill Lincoln so they could put their man in the white house and then set forth to crush the "protestant" south...

...While this is just my two cents, ma'am, I think Lincoln is spoken of so much because...
(a) He seems to be heralded as one of the greatest presidents ever in the White House, surpassing even George Washington. When, in all honesty, he was not.

(B) It was a very touchy time in history; there's a lot of myth and lies associated with the Civil War. For example: many (if not virtually all) think the War was about slavery; that Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson were racists; etc., etc. Being Lincoln was the person who was over the United States completely after the war, it is only logical he should be included in all of this turmoil.

As I said, ma'am, these are my two cents, and, to me at least, they make sense.
God bless,
Crushmaster.