• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Vatican Gives "Thumbs Up" To Darwin

• Members
The Bible says 'after his kind".
What is a 'kind'?
Well, camelids, such as arabian camels and llamas, are evidently of the same 'kind' because they can interbreed. Many of the deer 'species' have been interbred to produce hybrids such as Sika deer/red deer, mule deer/whitetail deer, etc. African elephants can be crossed with asian elephants, and I would venture to say that if whooly mammoths were around now, they too could interbreed with 'modern' elephants., Wolves can interbreed with coyotes and domestic dogs. The equids like horses and zebras can all interbreed. Polar bears can cross with grizzlies. African buffalo, American bison, can interbreed with domestic cattle. Even snakes have been hybridized, as have fish.

The vast amount of variations that exist between domestic 'breeds', like dogs, were MANIFESTED through selective breeding. But the genes already existed. ALL dogs are dogs. A pug, is of the same 'species' as a whippet or grey hound, yet they look drasticly different.....but no more so than a lion in relation to a leopard, which incidently can also interbreed.

Even wild species, like wolves have variations as you will find that some wolves in the arctic tend to have white coats. Whitetailed deer in Canada have large, thick, heavy bodies, while the same species in the Florida keys are very small. I think God put the incredible abilty to diversify in each 'kind" from the beginning and these genes allow each one to adapt to various environments while still remaining the same 'kind'. Selective breeding has been going on for several thousand years now. And of all the shapes, sizes and colors, I've never heard of a dog 'evolving' into thing else but a dog......

:thumb :amen:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My understanding of Darwin's theory is that man and apes have a common ancestor, not that man evolved from an ape. For example, you have xman species (the unknown common ancestral species) and from that species, by natural selection/chance/fate/luck/hand of God the more intelligent amongst them begin to mate and multiply. The lesser intelligent ones do the same. After millions and millions of years, the intelligent ones slowly evolve into modern man, while the lesser intelligent ones slowly evolve in to some species of modern ape. If you consider evolution in this light, it is easy to see we are still evolving, not so much into another species, but a more advanced human which one day may become known as another species. Just look back fifty years and you can see a difference. Some of us are amazingly taller, stronger, faster and smarter than the average person. Those amongst us who have progressed in this way have less body hair, stronger teeth and a resistance to modern illnesses. If two such people mate, the offspring will possess the dominate traits. I'm not saying that some amongst us are another species, or that they are in any way a "better human", but who knows how scientist will look at us 1,000 or 100,000 years from now.

• Members
My understanding of Darwin's theory is that man and apes have a common ancestor' date=' not that man evolved from an ape. For example, you have xman species (the unknown common ancestral species) and from that species, by natural selection/chance/fate/luck/hand of God the more intelligent amongst them begin to mate and multiply. The lesser intelligent ones do the same. After millions and millions of years, the intelligent ones slowly evolve into modern man, while the lesser intelligent ones slowly evolve in to some species of modern ape. If you consider evolution in this light, it is easy to see we are still evolving, not so much into another species, but a more advanced human which one day may become known as another species. Just look back fifty years and you can see a difference. Some of us are amazingly taller, stronger, faster and smarter than the average person. Those amongst us who have progressed in this way have less body hair, stronger teeth and a resistance to modern illnesses. If two such people mate, the offspring will possess the dominate traits. I'm not saying that some amongst us are another species, or that they are in any way a "better human", but who knows how scientist will look at us 1,000 or 100,000 years from now.[/quote']

And we know that evolutionsts teach the "common ancestor" thing.

My son and I, both with brown hair, were shopping with my redheaded wife in Wally World the other day.
I noticed a very tall blonde white woman, arm in arm with a very short Mexican dude. Then we bumped into a friend who is about 4'10', while her husband is over 6'. We know another woman, who is exceptionally short, but her husband is about 6'6'. I'm sorry but, that's not how selective breeding works. At most any time, you can observe white women with black men, Asian women with white men, etc. Pretty with ugly, blondes with brunettes, short with tall, skinny with fat, strong with frail........all kinds of combinations, yet not too many years ago, human populations were more or less isolated genetically. I mean, south of the Sahara, the vast majority were black, in the far east, most everyone was short, with black hair.
So how do you get the notion that humans are being improved genetically when, in fact, we are becoming more "mongrelized" every day?

If you want to really look at how selective breeding works, look at dogs. There is every size, color and shape imaginable, produced through selective breeding and yet, not one breed of dog has ever turned into anything else...but a dog.

• Members

Of course not every person that has evolved genetically is going to reproduce with another person that has evolved genetically. Furthermore, not all genetic superiorities are physically identifiable. The evidence would be found in looking at the heights of the people you mentioned, compared to the heights of people in your area 40-50 years ago. In addition, I don't believe that "mongrelization" and genetic improvement are mutually exclusive.

• Members

So, you do not believe creation as told in the Bible, that God made Adam from the dust of the ground them breathed into his nostrils and he became a living soul.
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 2:7 (KJV)

And that God took a rib from Adam and mdae Eve.

21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Gen 2:21-23 (KJV)

And we can go a bit further.

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:11-12 (KJV)

21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:21 (KJV)

24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:24-25 (KJV)

No, no evolving, each reproduce after its kind.

No, there is no evolution involved in this, that is if one believes the Bible is an unquestionable truth, which it is.

• Members
So' date=' you do not believe creation as told in the Bible, that God made Adam from the dust of the ground them breathed into his nostrils and he became a living soul.[/quote']

I never said that. We were merely discussing our understandings as to what the theory says. I do believe that we are evolving/advancing/progressing (what ever you want to call it), ever so slowly, into something stronger and more intelligent than we were thousands of years ago. Now, whether scientist 100,000 years from now will recognize us as a different species (the way we do cromagnum man and neaderthal man), I have no idea or opinion whatsoever.

• Members

Friend,
If you took the smartest best looking dude, and mated him to the smartest, best looking woman, then took the offspring and did the same, for generation after generation, no doubt you would propagate those genetic traits and they would appear more frequently in the "line" until you had a "race" of good looking smart people. But the only way to keep the line pure, is to PREVENT these from mating with 'unfit' offspring, much like nature does. But that just does not work because you are never going to have such a dominant 'race', which has carefully selected the best and the fittest until they are so superior, that they kill off the rest of us.....why? Becasue PEOPLE marry who they WANT to marry. Hitler wanted to try it but it ain't gonna happen, and even if it did, humnas are never going to 'evolve' into anything else but humans.

Like I already told you, man has selectively bred animals, like dogs, for millennia and no animal has EVER
'evolved' into anything else outside of it's "kind".

• Members

I understand what you are saying. However, we have no idea of knowing how we will be classified 100,000 years from now. At the time of cromagnum's existence, no homosapian looked at a cromagnum person and said, "you are a different species than I." They merely thought that certain people looked a little different and appeared to be a little dumber. However, today we see them as two distinct species. It's kind of like wolves and dogs. We cannot pinpoint the exact time when one became distinct from the other. What we call a human today may be different from what we call them in the future, all based on the evolution of the species.

• Members

I think those theories are all wrong, just as someone recently stated, if Adam was standing in out mist dressed as we are that he would look just like us. No evolution whatsoever.

Yes, we are progressing, getting smarter, but it seems that just leads us to more sinful ways.

• Members

I understand what you are saying. However, we have no idea of knowing how we will be classified 100,000 years from now. At the time of cromagnum's existence, no homosapian looked at a cromagnum person and said, "you are a different species than I." They merely thought that certain people looked a little different and appeared to be a little dumber. However, today we see them as two distinct species. It's kind of like wolves and dogs. We cannot pinpoint the exact time when one became distinct from the other. What we call a human today may be different from what we call them in the future, all based on the evolution of the species.

Wolves, jackals, dingos and coyotes can ALL interbreed with each other AND with domestic dogs AND produce fertile offspring. They are all simply dogs, my friend. A wolf is no more different from a coyote, than a greyhound is from a pekingese. And I think you need to do a little research on "Cro-magnons" too....they were NOT a 'different species'.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Disgusting! I know one thing and that is that neither I nor myancestors evolved from apes! :amen:

No, No, No
We are supposed to say "a common ancestor" :wink

Which would be even more primitive....maybe a lemur or something?
No wait...we still have lemurs.....why didn't they evolve or 'advance'?
Now I'm confused. :tum

I agree with you!