• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What do Baptists say about...

• Members

...marraige? (Forgive me if i sounds stupid but I really don't know much about this)

Do they think that wives should be submissive to their husbands? How about divorce? Do most Baptists marry other Baptists? What about sex before marraige and contraception?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm having trouble getting anything to post, so I hope this makes it this time. (I hope it doesn't double post)
We believe the Scriptures teach one man for one woman forever, til death parts them.
We believe the Scriptures teach that wives are to be submissive to their husbands because the husband is the head of the wive as Christ is head of the church.
We believe the scriptures teach no sexual relations before or outside of marriage.
We believe the Scripture teaches that believers should not be yoked with unbelievers. (Believers should not marry unbelievers)

• Members

Its not so much "What do Baptists believe" but what the Bible says. We are Baptists because we feel that Baptists hold closest, in general, to the truths set forth in God's Word. The Bible has alot to say about these topics, you may want to do a search on the board as we have discussed these topics many times. There you will find alot of the Scripture that backs up these beliefs.

We do not like to hold onto man's empty traditions but rather base our beliefs on the actual Words of God as far as we possibly can.

• Members

Believers are to marry true believers - that means believers according to the Bible. Catholics may be believers in Catholic teachings - but they are not believers in the Biblical sense, not believers in Jesus Christ alone for salvation.

• Members

Ditto what Jerry said. I'd also like to add that it rarely ever works out when Baptists marry people from other denominations, such as Pentacostals. Rare cases do exist, but they often end up divorcing, so I wouldn't wanna risk it for luck. Marriage isn't a lottery.

• Members

Ditto what Jerry said. I'd also like to add that it rarely ever works out when Baptists marry people from other denominations, such as Pentacostals. Rare cases do exist, but they often end up divorcing, so I wouldn't wanna risk it for luck. Marriage isn't a lottery.

Your right on this, <>.

One thing I have noticed around these parts, if a Baptist marries a Church of Christ, most times the Baptist will convert to the coC.

Off hand, I know of one case this did not happen, the wife stayed a solid Baptist, the husband stayed a solid coC, they were married for over 50 years. Oh, their only daughter chose the Baptist Church to.

• Members

Very quickly,

The Bible talks about not being unequally yoked together. This is not just with people of no faith, but it is saying you should be pretty close. So if you are baptistic in doctrine, and someone else is charismatic, or presbyterian, etc. even though they may be saved, there will be issues. To be clear, my wife and I do NOT hold to the same doctrines in every minor case. We each respect each other's opinions and talk through many of them. It actually HELPS our marriage to have these conversations as it brings us closer to each other and God. Major issues of doctrine however can cause problems especially once kids are involved (like which Church are they going to etc.).

One other thing: There are personal convictions and clear Biblical standards. For instance, you asked about contraceptives. The Bible has no clear mandate on this topic as they did not exist. So we look to principles and ask God to convict us with what is right. On this topic there are decent arguments for both sides, neither conclusive. This is an area where you have to have a personal conviction either way. Study out the passages, and ask God to help you. Then whichever way you end up believing is right, live by it. Read Romans 14 in its entirety and follow the principle of if it is not of faith it is sin!

• Members

Major issues of doctrine however can cause problems especially once kids are involved (like which Church are they going to etc.)

I have to second dwayner's statement there. Too often the family gets split between a Jewish father and a Catholic mother concerning which church the kids go to, whether it would be attending Catholic mass and Lent for those occasians and then attending Hannukah on another. Sheer confusion, and it just echoes the old lesson of making sure the husband and wife are synchronized as far as direction goes.