• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What do Baptists say about...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To clarify what A4C said, Pentecostals believe speaking in tongues is the evidence of salvation. Dispensations galore.. the Pentecostals believe these gifts associated with the disciples are still accessible today. Of course as Baptists, we are not supporters of Benny Hinn fiascos :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

...marriage? (Forgive me if i sounds stupid but I really don't know much about this)

Do they think that wives should be submissive to their husbands? How about divorce? Do most Baptists marry other Baptists? What about sex before marraige and contraception?

I just wanted to say something, because how some people view baptists:

Most baptists believe you are Saved by Grace. So if you are not saved and doing these things, you still can turn to Jesus. You don't necessary good work in order to earn salvation. Salvation already been paid for, all you have to do is acknowledge that you are a sinner and turn to Jesus.

...But as a duty as a Christian (after we received Jesus) we should obey the bible to keep ourselves and other from stumbling. Even though Jesus paid for our sins, we are still sinners who can easily fail. God's wisdom is far lot better than our own.

If we made a mistake, it OK because you are still saved. There will be consequence of your mistakes on Earth but in heaven, all you sins have already been washed away.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Yes, that's one Scripture used. Another is 2 Corinthians 6:14-18:

14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

My older daughter, who eloped with a young man we disagreed with, is finding out this truth the hard way now.

Mitch

• Members

Hate to hear that Mitch, prayers for sure. Seems many young women marry a young man thinking, "I can change him."

They can change, but it takes Jesus to change them.

But, leave me tell you, we have had many problems, my daughter has had many problems, and she married a Baptist boy.

Hopefully its all now behind, but dad and mom always wonder what daughters face will look like next time, plus he has destroyed the biggest part of our relationship with our grandchildren. Its been right tough.

• Members

Its not really that important what you think, what is important is what the Bible says, and it say do not be unequally yoked. God's way is the only right way.

Christina in today's world is used very loosely, and many who are referred to as Christian, according to the Bible and what they teach they are not Christian.

Baptist marrying Baptist, that's the best and right way.

• Members
I don't think it is important that a Baptist marry another Baptist as it is a Christian marry another Christian with the same doctrinal beliefs.

I believe the point most of those who say it would be best for a Baptist to marry another Baptist is for the sake of shared doctrinal beliefs.

There are so many cases of a Baptist marrying a non-Baptist only to have problems down the line due to differences in their churches. Often as not, the non-Baptist puts immense pressure upon the Baptist spouse to switch to "their" church. There is often a huge problem when children come into the picture. Oftentimes, the differing church issue doesn't cause much of a problem until the children arrive. Then, there is often a big fight over which church the children will be raised in.

While the name "Baptist" in and of itself isn't the main point, the foundational ground that like-minded Baptists share is.

• Members

Kevin, Please, please, do not put words in my mouth. Please show me where I made the statement, "That Baptist were the only ones in heaven." In my many post on this board you will not find a single place that I have made such a statement.

I stand by my statement, its not base on what I think, what I believe, but on the Bible. You would do very good to back up what you think, what you believe with God's Word.

In my 60 years of life I have seen many Baptist marry outside to the Baptist teachings, 80% of them left the Baptist church for one of the other churches of this world or either stopped attending church and did not raise their children up in church and now their children may be forever lost to the prince of this world.

It does no good to point out to you what the Bible says, you care less about it and more about the opinion you have formed in you 19 years or more of being on this earth.

What you bring to this board, it surely must be a very liberal Baptist Church that you attend or you do not listen to your pastors and do not attend Sunday School. Seems like i remember that you stated that you do not attend Sunday School, shame on you. For conservative Baptist do not carry the liberal views you bring to this board.

• Administrators

Just wanted to give a little personal testimony. My dad's dad was a Pentecostal pastor, so my dad was raised in that belief. He went into the armed services and while there accepted Christ. He had until this time been "saved" according to Pentecostalism (keeping yourself saved by not sinning that one (or more) sin that could send you to Hell).

He and my mother got married. We had not been attending church on a regular basis before they got married. Some months after, an IFB bus captain came and invited me to ride the bus. Long story short, we became active in that church. Praise the Lord for that!

But, all of our growing up years, our church attendance and practice at home was affected by my dad's rearing in the Pentecostal movement.

My dad hadn't had much teaching of Bible truths before my parents were married, and so we were affected by the doctrines of both beliefs for many years. Praise the Lord, my dad has come a very long way in the almost 40 years they've been married. But it did affect the kids. I am the only one of 4 in church today.

Christians should marry Christians, and even further, Baptists should marry Baptists from like churches in order to avoid some real grief between spouses and for their children.