• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bakershalfdozen

Chinese Food

We get hungry again because all it is is veggies! Mostly anyway...

I love egg rolls too! I also like sesame chicken and General Tso's chicken, with fried rice.

But do you know what is more yummy than eggroll??

Lumpia!!

I believe this MAY be more like a filipino dish, yet I have seen it in some Chinese restaurants. My family loves it and we make it once in a while. We can cook it right away or prepare it and freeze it to cook at a later date.
It looks like eggroll because it is wrapped in what we call eggroll wrap. I buy this from the oriental grocery. It's about $1.25 for a 25 pack. I usually make a lot, so I buy about 8 or 10 packages. Heres the recipe:

Lumpia filling:
In a large pot, put about 5 lbs. ground beef or ground chuck, 2-3 finely chopped onions, a big bag of fresh carrots, 2-3 cans green beans, 4-5 lbs potatoes. Just make sure all the veggies are very finely chopped. For seasoning, add some oyster sauce, worchestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, and pepper....whatever you like. Cook til all this is done. Drain well. Now go get some eggs, forks, and little bowls. Put an egg or two in howevermany bowls you decided to use(each person helping needs a bowl, unless you are sharing). Scramble up the eggs and set aside with the fork.
My family makes this a family affair, for we have all been peeling, chopping, and so forth together (I have 2 little electric choppers). When the filling is done, we put the container with the filling in the middle of our table and we put several tablspoons in it to dip. Placing the eggroll wrap in diamond shape in front of you, take a small tablespoon of filling and place it in the corner closest to you. Next, fold the wrap carefully over it and slide it back toward you, trapping the filling and stretching it out in length. Now you roll the wrap until you come to the two outside corners on either side; fold these in at this point (it seals the food in that way-no leaks) and continue rolling until just before you get to the remaining corner. Here is where you dip your fork into the egg and get your "glue". Just dab the egg onto the corner and close up your lumpia. Ta da! Make a bunch. Freeze some if you want. Those that you want to cook immediately, you just need to cook in corn oil turning once as it gets golden brown. Let it drain and use caution because the filling will be hot.
Anyway, once you've tasted this, especially dipped in sweet/sour sauce or duck sauce, you may never want just plain old egg roll again.

General Tso's chicken, with fried rice

Great minds think alike Kitagrl :D

Lumpia is (or is it Lumpia are ???... anyway) good. I had a friend who's wife was Filipino, man that lady could cook. She used to make a huge platter of Lumpia for us every time we would visit. I never turned down an invitation to their house :D

But do you know what is more yummy than eggroll??

Lumpia!!

I believe this MAY be more like a filipino dish, yet I have seen it in some Chinese restaurants. My family loves it and we make it once in a while. We can cook it right away or prepare it and freeze it to cook at a later date.
It looks like eggroll because it is wrapped in what we call eggroll wrap. I buy this from the oriental grocery. It's about $1.25 for a 25 pack. I usually make a lot, so I buy about 8 or 10 packages. Heres the recipe:

Lumpia filling:
In a large pot, put about 5 lbs. ground beef or ground chuck, 2-3 finely chopped onions, a big bag of fresh carrots, 2-3 cans green beans, 4-5 lbs potatoes. Just make sure all the veggies are very finely chopped. For seasoning, add some oyster sauce, worchestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, and pepper....whatever you like. Cook til all this is done. Drain well. Now go get some eggs, forks, and little bowls. Put an egg or two in howevermany bowls you decided to use(each person helping needs a bowl, unless you are sharing). Scramble up the eggs and set aside with the fork.
My family makes this a family affair, for we have all been peeling, chopping, and so forth together (I have 2 little electric choppers). When the filling is done, we put the container with the filling in the middle of our table and we put several tablspoons in it to dip. Placing the eggroll wrap in diamond shape in front of you, take a small tablespoon of filling and place it in the corner closest to you. Next, fold the wrap carefully over it and slide it back toward you, trapping the filling and stretching it out in length. Now you roll the wrap until you come to the two outside corners on either side; fold these in at this point (it seals the food in that way-no leaks) and continue rolling until just before you get to the remaining corner. Here is where you dip your fork into the egg and get your "glue". Just dab the egg onto the corner and close up your lumpia. Ta da! Make a bunch. Freeze some if you want. Those that you want to cook immediately, you just need to cook in corn oil turning once as it gets golden brown. Let it drain and use caution because the filling will be hot.
Anyway, once you've tasted this, especially dipped in sweet/sour sauce or duck sauce, you may never want just plain old egg roll again.

Speaking as a 2nd generation Vietnamese, eating asian food everyday has desensitized my fascination for oriental food :lol:

Vienamese? One of my husband's favorite restaurants is "Pho 75" in Philly... he LOVES that Vietnamese noodle soup! Sometimes if he has errands to run down in the city he will take the boys with him and they will go eat noodles!

A pastor who has a Vietnamese wife introduced us to the place and he's been going ever since.

Ooooh yes, if there's one thing I wouldn't give up, it's definitely Vietnamese noodle soup. We have a resturant here called Pho 45. One time I came in there to eat, I saw a fire department crew in there eating with their firetruck parked outside. I found it unusual, but it's that good I assume :lol:

I guess "pho" is "noodle" and the number is the year they came over from Vietnam... Anyway even my kids love it, EVEN my pickiest kid! Amazing...

Well that's what the pastor told us... anyway there is one my BIL goes to in SLC and its Pho 95 and ours is Pho 75... so I'm pretty sure its the year they came to America, that or the year they started the shop, something like that.

Well that's what the pastor told us... anyway there is one my BIL goes to in SLC and its Pho 95 and ours is Pho 75... so I'm pretty sure its the year they came to America, that or the year they started the shop, something like that.

Wow the resturant I go to was set up in 1945? I'm not sure about that, it doesn't look that established :0...

Wow the resturant I go to was set up in 1945? I'm not sure about that, it doesn't look that established :0...

Hmmm probably, then, that is the year the owner's family came to America.

My favorites are the following::::::::

Egg rolls

Chicken on a stick

Mushrooms filled with ground beef and topped w/cheese.

Mussel shells with crab filling and baked

Anything with shrimp in it.

Anything with scallops in it.

Seafood and crab salad covered with cheddar cheese and baked.

Chilled seafood and crab salad in a mayo dressing from the salad bar.

Deep fried frog's legs

Chicken fried in a peanut butter sauce.

Chicken fried in a coconut sauce.

Chicken fried with cashews and peanuts.

Steak and sweet bell peppers fried together.

Egg Foo Young

Shrimp Lo Mein

Angel hair noodles with shrimp.

Broccoli and chicken.

Broccoli and steak.

YOWZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I ever hungry now :wink: :mrgreen: :sing: :sing: :mrgreen: :wink: :lol::lol: :lol:

You know, Chinese food in the states and Chinese food in China are waaaaay different! But, in the states I love those wontons with cream cheese in them!!! Yum yum! I also like Moogoo gaipan or however you spell it. Over here in China I opt for french fries at the Chinese buffets. I'm a fry-a-holic. They do make some good dishes at the nicer restaurants here though like sweet/sour pork, cashew chicken, or eggplant cooked in soy sauce.

I like eggrolls and vegetable lo mein, wonton soup, and tofu and veggie soup, and steamed dumplings. My hubby likes sesame chicken and veggie lo mein. THE place to eat chinese food in Terre Haute, IN is the Panda Garden. It's a sit down restaurant with great atmosphere. CJP56

It's a tie: General Tso's Chicken and Lemon Chicken.

I also love egg rolls and those cream-cheese filled wontons. :D

I think you get hungry 2 hours after eating Chinese food (the American kind) because of all the carbs -- the rice, the noodles, the breading on the sweet & sour chicken (or pork), the wontons, and the veggies. All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet restaurants are extremely popular down here. :D My favorite ones are the ones that also serve sushi.

Anybody here like Mongolian BBQ? That's where you pick several raw meat & vegetable ingredients and they cook it for you right there on a high-heat grill. If it's done right (in other words, if they don't use too much oil) it's really good.

Guest Guest

There's a little place down the street that serves a BBQ pork soup that is to die for. Mmmmmm!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

haha... no I just made those up.

I like just about anything that is cooked (no sushi). Some noteworthy preferences are Cashew Chicken, Chicken and shrimp in hot sauce, the general's, and teriyaki anything.

My wife is not a big fan, so I get it very rarely (as often as I work extra late).

There was a mongolian BBQ place in Charleston. I think I went 2 or 3 times. I remember it being good.

:mrgreen:

In Cedar Rapids, Iowa there is a Mongolian BBQ. It is called The Ghengis Grill. It is an all you Khan (can :lol: ) eat buffet. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: