• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Pure Child

• Members

Jerry808's last posting came about as close to calling "women wearing pants" a sin as you can get without actually using the word "sin."

Mitch

I see.

But still he didn't say anything wrong, and he didn't point any fingers or accuse anyone either.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just pointing out where coldielocks might have gotten the impression.

I know. But I wanted her to know that most of us aren't judgemental on here and that she doesn't have to feel we are pointing out anything in her life.

• Members

Jerry808's last posting came about as close to calling "women wearing pants" a sin as you can get without actually using the word "sin."

Mitch

Mitch, Explain what a sin is. I know for sure different people have different ideas of what sin is and or what is not a sin.

You know its quite plain in the Bible homosexuality is a sin, but many do not believe that.

But looks to me God is the final authority on this, so any disobedience to His is sin.
5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Deut 22:5 (KJV)

22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Lev 18:22 (KJV)

Seems to me God uses the very same word to explain to us what His thoughts are toward homosexuality and women wearing clothes that pertain to a man, how much plainer could it be?.

I might add for someone else, it does not cost much to dress up for church, me, I have never had much money to spend on clothes and such.

I remember giving a devotional one Wednesday night about our appearances, that is when we are going to church and going home from church we ought to look like we have been to church, that can be a witness.

That night I explained and showed how a man could dress and look pretty good, fairly cheap.

I always wear blue jean to work in, I always try to keep 2 new pairs to wear when we go some where, now when these get a bit faded they are my work jeans, so I am not spending extra money on something I do not need.

That Wednesday night I had on a pair of blue jeans, they were starched and pressed, yes I do it myself, I had on a nice dress shirt I had bought on sale for $5.00, I had on a blazer I had bought at the resell store for $5.00 that looked like brand new, I had on a pair of shoes which I had for several years, but I only wore them to church, oh, I had bought them on sale as well for about $5.00 about 10 years back, because I could not afford to buy expensive ones, but they were polished and look like brand new.

In fact that very night after church service on the way home I stopped at a convenience store, and elderly man behind me at the cash register said, "It looks like you have been to church." I replied, "Yes sir I have, do you go to church?" He said, "No, but I know I should, my mother used to always carry me to church when I was just a small boy." I them invited him to church, he was not from my home town, them I handed him a tract and asked him if he would read it later? He replied, "Yes sir, I surely will and I thank you for asking me about church." It was them my turn at the cash register. But if I had been dressed like many do, that witnessing would not have happened that way that night. Appearance means much, and we have only one chance to have a good impression on many people so the first impression is very important, as it was this night after church service.

I know for fact that a woman can dress properly for church just as cheap, my wife has done so many times.

But, for most people its not about money, its about what they want to do. How they want to dress.

And as has been said earlier this is not about the brand-new Christian or one who comes to church for the first time, this is about those who ought to be grounded in what is right in the sight of God which ought to be the most important thing for the child of God.

I might add, some would put me down for wearing those blue jeans, oh how some frown on wearing blue jeans to church, I see nothing wrong with it, but I think one should not wear the blue jeans that are all faded out and or with holes torn in them.

Blue jeans starched and pressed can look very good on a man.

But, the bottom line, if a person is not doing it for the right reason, for God, them they probably should not do it, for He is the one we ought to please and ought to want to please, after all He is the one we should want to obey and please and He is the One who gave His Son that we might have life eternal. How much do we really love Him and respect Him?

Oh, one woman said something about pants being comfortable, well once one understands what God's wants, they will not be comfortable unless they do everything as God wants them to.

If I was not a pastor called by God, I would not say none of this, but being as I am and I feel like He want's me to post this, I'm going to.

I'm not going to debate it any further, for 2 reason, its been done several times on this board, and it seems debating it does little good.

But if someone wants to just discuss it I will when I have the time, which will be after this Sunday.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

• Members

But, for most people its not about money, its about what they want to do. How they want to dress.

And as has been said earlier this is not about the brand-new Christian or one who comes to church for the first time, this is about those who ought to be grounded in what is right in the sight of God which ought to be the most important thing for the child of God.

I might add, some would put me down for wearing those blue jeans, oh how some frown on wearing blue jeans to church, I see nothing wrong with it, but I think one should not wear the blue jeans that are all faded out and or with holes torn in them.

Since we are all grounded in the Word here... :D

I want to point out that I agree with everything in your post but wanted to point out a flaw, for sake of discussion.

Many people would say that wearing blue jeans to church isn't respectful or right. Denim is often frowned upon as being "too casual". Now before you get upset, I wear denim skirts to Wed night church, and I know its common down south and out west to wear nice blue jeans to church with cowboy boots, a dress shirt, and a tie.

BUT you have to be careful...because you are telling others what to wear to church (yes the Bible speaks of women not wearing the apparel of a man and that is grounded in Scripture) and then saying "I know some of you might not agree with what I wear but I see nothing wrong with it." Isn't that the exact same words EVERYONE uses when they wear whatever they wear to church? Nobody ever sees anything wrong with what they wear to church, including (for sake of argument) the women who wear pants.

Again, I don't disagree with what you wear to church but if your argument is that we should wear nice clothes to church to be a testimony, try not to say "Others might not like it but I think its ok" in the same argument. haha.

(Please take this right, I'm simply pointing out a weakness in your argument, not saying you are wrong in anything you said.)

• Members

I suppose I should have said this was a Wednesday night service! Did not think to add that.

Usually I would not wear blue jeans on Wednesday night, but the dress down look was coming in big time, and I wanted to show everyone they could dress very nice even on a Wednesday night and did not have to go spend a big bundle of money to buy clothes to do so.

Yes, I know many people frown on anything made out of denim . And this is what I was referring to, denim, for I hear some churches outlaw the wear of it to their services. I see nothing wrong with wearing denim to church services, we have women who wear denim dresses to church on Sunday nights. I don't see one thing wrong with denim, I fail completely to understand those who do.

I do not believe a church ought to make rule on how people are to dress when they come to church services, this should be written in ones heart, we should dress for God, not for those who make the rules for dressing for attending church services.

Further more I would not be a part of a church that set up rules on how everyone should & or should not dress.

Those who are making the rules should set the example not by making rules, but by the way they dress and by teaching of the Bible, just as we should set an example how one ought to live for Christ ever day of our life, not just on Sunday's, even on Monday's Tuesday's, Wednesday's, Thursday's, Friday's, and Saturdays.

Got to get around and get back to church, wish and pray for a great evening service for everyone.

And no, I take no offence! :D

I don't get why people think they can "dress down a little" for Sunday nights or Wednesday nights. It's all church so shouldn't we wear our best to all three services?

Katy-Anne

• Members

Maybe one person's dress down clothes is another person's dress up clothes?

If all you own as a man are jeans or coveralls, then you dress up clothes might be your cleanest pair of jeans or best pair of overalls. Your nicest shirt may be a simple cotton shirt, without any stains or holes in it.

If all you own as a woman are some simple cotton dresses, then your best dress might be the one without any stains or holes in it.

As long as you are clean, your clothes are clean, your shoes are shined, and you hair is combed and you have made an effort to look your best for Sunday services, no one has the right to judge you.

I have been in congregations where everyone was so full of pride that they actually looked down their noses at anyone who did not wear the "right labels" on their clothes, get their hair all done up in a beauty shop, cover themselves with jewelry, and drive a new SUV. Appearances were EVERYTHING and you did not have the right appearance, then you were completely snubbed at their social gatherings. Their opinion is that God had "blessed" them because they were living rightly, and God did not "bless" poor folks so they must not be living rightly. It was part of that false Prosperity Gospel that some people buy in to. What it really meant was that people went deeper and deeper into debt to give an appearance of wealth and prosperity. Very Sad.

• Members

You're right. There are churches where appearance is everything! Their attitudes toward spiritual things are as shallow as a mud puddle. Hate to be in their shoes when Jesus comes back!!

But, yeah, we all should dress our best, and that may be different depending on your circumstances. God is not limited, either, so if you have a need in that area of clothing, pray, and God will provide.

On the subject of clothing I've heard some say that they can't find modest clothing anywhere.... that's a bunch of bologney. Again, I wonder, did they truly pray and ask the Lord to help? Or did they just want an excuse for why we can see definite parts of their body or their teenage daughter's body?? I've seen this attitude, too, and money was NOT a part of the picture.

• Members

Them again, should we judge others who have more than we do in the looks they may give us who have less?

We just might judge wrong, the thoughts that be in their mind may not be the thoughts we are thinking they are having.

If one is in church, and all they dwell on is what those who have on the nice expensive brand name clothes thinks of us who don't have nice expensive brand name clothes them we are not in church worshiping God, but to judge others.

Worshiping service is not a judging session, but a worshipping service to worship God and His Son.

Plus, if a family is not dressing right ever day of their life, them they are not living right. Dressing properly ought to be a 7 day a week thing, not just a Sunday event to impress people at church services.