• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Pure Child

• Members

I had never thought about the whole jr. church thing until a few months ago when we had some missionary friends visit us. They have a number of children, and they had done much traveling in the US visiting many different churches. The mother said to me that they don't let their children go in other church's jr. church services for two reasons - 1. because in many churches it's nearly just a glorified nursery where they play and do crafts, etc.., 2. because of their children's reactions when they went to a church that didn't have jr. church after they had been to a few churches that did have jr. church "you mean we have to sit in here with you and listen to the preaching??? *gasp,groan!*" That really got me thinking about it, and I'm not sure if we'll have our daughter go to jr. church either when we're in the states and she's older. (She's only 1 now.)

I'm speaking totally separate of the Sunday School hour when all ages are separated, but I think we'd rather have our daughter in with us listening to the preacher in the main preaching service as soon as she's passed the age of being in the nursery.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Since my kids go to a kids class in the a.m. and then sit with me the other two weekly services, they know that sometimes they get to go with other kids and sometimes they don't. So really there's not an "awwww!" problem there.

I personally (and this is just MHO) feel that there would be a bigger problem emotionally with having your child watch all the other kids get to go while he has to stay with the adults. There are churches that do not have kids programs, if I was determined to keep my child with me I'd think about switching to a church where they have no programs rather than make my child sit with me while the others get to go. (I realize I'm fortunate to have my dh as my pastor so our church will never have "too many" children's programs or go against what we believe...however we can't control the kinds of kids we get in our church.)

We kind of have a policy around here that we know as our kids grow, there are going to be MANY times we are going to have to say "no" to sinful or worldly things. Why not say "yes" to things that are not sinful and worldly? Let the kids do as much as possible so that when you DO have to say "no", they know it is because it is wrong, unwise, or sinful. I mean, how do you explain to a young child that its "bad" to go to a kids church class, especially if its one where they are learning Bible verses and stories and songs? And if you can't explain why its "bad" then they will just think you are being unreasonable.

Usually kids church classes only go up th 6th grade. I for one am one that was saved in a kids church class and am very thankful for them. :)

• Members

To me it is the same as the reason I don't wear old jeans or camo to church. It has nothing to do with if God sees it or not. I wear jeans and work boot at work but I don't wear them to church is that wrong ? God still sees me in my jeans and boots. Just because something is not appropriate church wear doesn't automatically make it inappropriate to wear ever. JMHO

Do you wear things that pertain to a woman outside of church, them wear things that pertain to a man in church?

Your comparing apples to oranges.

May God Bless,
Jerry

"Let not your heart be troubled" John 14:1

• Members

Well if someone is going to wear pants, I think its at least very nice of them to not wear them to church... dresses are nicer than pants and also pants can offend or make others in church uncomfortable. What I'm trying to say is that it isn't hypocritical to at least wear a dress to church even if you don't wear them at home. Ideal to me would be to wear dresses or skirts all the time but I am glad that at least most women do wear a dress at church.

Church is a bad place for any kinds of immodest dress anyway, its hard for men to worship if they are having to look at low necklines, sexy legs, or tight back-ends. :(

• Members

What's the difference in wearing pants outside of the church and inside the church, no matter where you wear them God will see you. God is the one we should do all things for and try to please with all of our heart.

Right, but we can't always wear a Sunday dress to do garden work and I don't think any of us really want wear our casual gardening dress with noticeable dirt stain on them to church either. Yes, God looks into our heart and I don't think he isn't going to judge us for dressing our best on Sunday and not the rest of the week (as long as it is not immodest. If it is immodest clothing, thats a different story). Or dressing our best the rest of the week but not during Sunday Church

...But, IMHO, The way I look at it is that the bible talked alot about feast. I think of Christmas dinner with my family. we would wear a special outfit just for that day and we know that our mom is so happy to see us together. You don't really see anyone of us coming in for Christmas Dinner in our dirty work clothes. So when I think of church, I think of Christmas dinner with my family except it is with my Christian brothers and sisters. We sing, pray, and fellowship together. You can't do that everyday of the week.

• Members

<>

I don't think even God would approve of wearing your Sunday dress to work in the garden unless it was so worn that it was unfit to wear to worship services any longer.

I know many people who wear only dresses, but they never wear their Sunday dress to work in the garden.

And its not about how our mother and dad looks on us at a Christmas feast, its about what God has stated in His instruction book to us that counts, anything less is earthly wisdom.

Does it not say in the Bible that woman is not to wear that which pertained to a man?

Of course I know how many people say that no longer applies, but has God's standards ever changed?

• Members

<>

I don't think even God would approve of wearing your Sunday dress to work in the garden unless it was so worn that it was unfit to wear to worship services any longer.

I know many people who wear only dresses, but they never wear their Sunday dress to work in the garden.

And its not about how our mother and dad looks on us at a Christmas feast, its about what God has stated in His instruction book to us that counts, anything less is earthly wisdom.

Does it not say in the Bible that woman is not to wear that which pertained to a man?

Of course I know how many people say that no longer applies, but has God's standards ever changed?

I agree with you. And I definitely agree that this isn't about us. It is about God and what he instructed us to do. I was trying to prove a point a simple Christmas dinner will be like an original everyday dinner at home if our siblings didn't make an effort to make that family gathering special day.

• Members

ok hold on,
i do not wish to come off as arguing, or even debating. This is a disscussion, so with that said:
Do you seriously believe that God, our Holy Father, Our loveing one, who not only created us but gave us free will, will seriously look down upon us if we dont wear a dress every day, or hey what about the poor? Are you telling me that if a woman off the street, who happeens to not own anything but her "work" clothes wich happens to be pants and a t shirt, and needs to be saved, or better yet is saved, but is so poor that she cant afford any better, are you trying to tell me that you think its ok to look down apon her? No offense but your children are watching you. Do you want your children to look down apon ppl ? Yes it says to judge the un rightous, but tell me is a single mom trying to keep her head aflot, and still trying to keep her babys in a church to looked down apon because all she has is her work clothes? i dont see that as a christ attitude! Did Christ not sit and eat with the sinners? Christ did not come here for tha saved and good, he came here for the un saved. You need to always keep your self in check! You can not come off as Holier then thou, coming from a person not raised in a christian home, i am no less saved then any of you, and God does not love me any less. Sure dont let you 5 yr old hang out with a bunch of woman who dress a lil un modest, but dont you look down on them to the point of making yourself look better then them, cause let me tell you a SIN is a SIN, if it wasent for christ, any white little lie you tell would send you in the pit, just like killing your brother would. Again im not trying to come off as angrey, or disrespectful. I just am very blunt, and get my points across the best way I can.

Now on the sunday school. Our church just started something new, wich im happy about. We have a , not a proble,. but a situation. We have a little over 10 2 year olds in our church. So we started a whole new program. What it is that we get couples, mainly youn marrieds and the parents of the childre, and each couple takes one serveice, either nite or morning, and we have all the 2 yr olds in a room. we teach them to share, a verse, and songs. Its only for 2 yr olds to 5 yr olds. and its nice cause no one couple is in there for more then once a month! I love the idea and pray that it works out.

• Members

The Sunday School sounds great!

As far as being "judgemental" the problem here is that so far in this discussion we have only stated our personal viewpoints and why we believe it. Nobody here would ever look down upon someone who wears pants to church. We have a new Christian lady in our church, sweet lady with two little girls, and she wears jeans to church. You know what, I'm just happy she is in church and wants to grow in the Lord! When we discuss things like this, we are discussing them in the context of mature believers who are able to discuss Bible doctrines, not just anybody who comes to church, or poor, or elderly, or young converts, etc. Please don't confuse personal standards with being judgemental. Some people might be judgemental, but that doesn't mean that personal standards = "judgemental".

• Members

Not trying to spam, but let me add one more comment on the dress issue.
I was one of those poor ppl. 2 years ago, I didnt even own a skirt, now i own i think 4 that fit me, and a few tops. But I litteraly do not own a single top in all my clothes that either A. doesent have a hole in it or B. dosent have a stain in it. I have 3 kids one is 3, one is 1 1/2 and the other is 7 months old, and im pregnant with my 4th. I dont have money to go buy tons of clothes, infact I havent botten anything knew in 7 months and before that it was a year. Money does not grow on trees, and I am not going to wear the few "good clothes" I own every day and not have " my best" for church. Im sorry. Same with my husband. He only owns 2 suiets, and hes a mecanic right now, he cant wear his suite all the time. thats all im trying to get across. again i dont wish to insult =)

• Members

One of the things I have learned in my walk with the Lord is that what ever it is you need, he will supply it for you.

So if you need clothing for yourself, your husband and your children all that you need to do is pray about it. Ask the Lord for the things that you need, and he will be faithful to supply it.

When God is with you, you are never poor. I have had a closet full of raggety clothing before, and what did I do? I cleaned that closet out and everything that did not fit, I gave away, and if I could patch the hole or soak the stains out I did the best I could to make them look better. Then I prayed about it, and the next thing I knew a neighbor lady was knocking on my door! She had just finished cleaning out her closet too! Everything that didn't fit she had gathered into a large plastic bag and offered it to me. She said if there was anything I did not like, I could just take it to the thrift shop. Let me tell you what a blessing that sack full of clothes was!

So when you are one of God's children the only reason you may not have something is because you forgot to ask Him to supply it! God does not want His Children doing without anything.

PS. My father is a truck driver, and he buys his clothes at the flea market - his uniform shirts are $1. 50 ea and his uniform pants are $2 ea. He wears them for a while until they get too thin, then we go back and restock. We tease him because sometimes his shirt will have someone else's name embroidered on it like "Pete" or "Manuel" :lol:

• Members

I would be happy for a poor person to come in to church dress as she/he is. I never look down at anyone who doesn't have decent clothes because they were poor. I was one of the poor people. I grew up poor. My mom didn't work and she had 5 kids, two are deaf. My father is an alcoholic (he is also a car mechanic). We lived in a mountain where well water was the only thing available, except our well went dried out and we couldn't get running water or afford a new well drilled. So we had to get our water from the nearest stream. Getting to the Laundry Mat was 35 minutes away and we really couldn't afford going there all the time so our clothes weren't always clean. So don't think I don't understand. I understand more than you think. The Thift store was our favorite place to shop for clothes.

• Members

Not trying to spam, but let me add one more comment on the dress issue.
I was one of those poor ppl. 2 years ago, I didnt even own a skirt, now i own i think 4 that fit me, and a few tops. But I litteraly do not own a single top in all my clothes that either A. doesent have a hole in it or B. dosent have a stain in it. I have 3 kids one is 3, one is 1 1/2 and the other is 7 months old, and im pregnant with my 4th. I dont have money to go buy tons of clothes, infact I havent botten anything knew in 7 months and before that it was a year. Money does not grow on trees, and I am not going to wear the few "good clothes" I own every day and not have " my best" for church. Im sorry. Same with my husband. He only owns 2 suiets, and hes a mecanic right now, he cant wear his suite all the time. thats all im trying to get across. again i dont wish to insult =)

Did you read my post about the fact that none of us here would ever look down at someone who didn't have alot of nice clothes? The Bible forbids that, plus we wouldn't anyway.

• Members

I like thrift stores better than WalMart! I will go to the thrift shop first for the things that I need, and only go to Wal Mart or K Mart when I just absolutely HAVE to - usually for printer ink and paper.

One can find some really exquisite items around here - antique Fire King Cookware for instance - for a couple of dollars. A full set of antique/collectible dishes for three or four dollars. All those things like your grandma used to have, makes your own home feel more "homey."

I like the clothes at the thrift stores better too. You can actually find some really nice decent looking long denim skirts that are not all faded out, ripped up to here, and trashy looking like the current styles seem to be. I also like the long jumper styles, and the long linen dresses with the matching tops.

I can take $10 to the thift store and have a real good time while I am there! :lol: