• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AmazingGrace

Whats up with the Gaithers??

Someone told me that one of the Gaithers had said that he was approving of homosexuality, anyone know if this is true?? I don't have any of there CD's and I don't think that I have ever heard them sing but they have written some good songs. And I am just wondering whats up with that whole thing.... Any imput on them at all whether about the homosexuality or not would be appreciated...

i don't know all the details so i do hesitate to say much, but i heard that he was very supportive and even highly praised a lesbian for a 'christian' song she had written, and had her sing at one of his homecomings...

Guest Guest

If you trust everything David Cloud says then yes that is what you will hear. Cloud has a tendency to misrepresent people that he does not like. Gaither made a statement about it, you might want to do a search about Bill Gaither with Marsha Stevens. Yes Marsha Stevens is a lesbian but Cloud misrepresents the story also. Gaithers have awesome songs.

Katy-Anne

Guest Guest

I in no way approve of the Gaithers music, but it sounds like he simply was being polite. Among musicians it is considered a common courtesy to acknowledge the composer at a concert if he or she is in attendance.

Yeah, Bakers, kinda hard to separate the music from the musician... this group may have originally started out with the right motives, but they are just entertainment now, making merchandise of Christianity. Do you know what a concert ticket costs? How about one of their videos?

Guest Guest

When Christian musicians are enjoyed by the world, it's definitely a bad sign. There are plenty of Christians who are better musicians than Bill Gaither, and who have produced better albums than him, but they will never win Grammys. If you write music that truly glorifies God, the world isn't going to like it... unless it's Handel's Messiah.

Yeah, Bakers, kinda hard to separate the music from the musician... this group may have originally started out with the right motives, but they are just entertainment now, making merchandise of Christianity. Do you know what a concert ticket costs? How about one of their videos?

I didn't so I did a google search. I was surprised to have pages of ticket source sites come up. They have Gaither concert tickets for sale along with every other major sporting event and entertainment event.

I clicked on 3 different locations for tickets and they started out at $65.00 each and went up to $180.00.

I despise and reject any musician/group that turns Christianity into entertainment. :verymad:

Cloud is not the only person who exposes compromises in Christendom. There are various other people who have written the exact same thing. The Gaithers are ecumenical to the hilt. Most of the info going around exposing them was from other sources - and because of these people coming up in Christian circles and news, Cloud wrote a short article about it.

And Gaither HAD endorsed Marsha Stevens (I think that was the name), but because of all the controversy he publicly took a step back recently (ie. this year, I think).

It wasn't just the backstage welcome, the public mention, or the picture. He also sang her unbiblical song, "For those tears I died"--yecch!

Good-sounding music or not, the Gaithers are radically ecumenical and compromised, just like all other CCM musicians.

I won't listen to him for the same reason I won't listen to Elvis or Johnny Cash singing the old-time hymns of the faith. Christians ought not support that stuff, even if they like the end result.

Double post, oops.
I'll pretend I meant to do two, and say something new. ;)

Booooo, down with the Gaithers!
Actually, lots of their music is in the hymnal we use at church. Feels kinda awkward not singing along. :lol:

I won't listen to him for the same reason I won't listen to Elvis or Johnny Cash singing the old-time hymns of the faith. Christians ought not support that stuff, even if they like the end result.

You're right, Samer. Too often all modern Christians think about is what pleases them - whether rightly or wrongly. What about pleasing the Lord? Losing our separation doesn't please Him at all, when He is the one who commanded us to separate from certain things in the first place.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be? not deceived: neither: fornicators, nor, idolaters, nor, adulterers, nor, effeminate, nor, abusers of themselves with mankind, ,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit ° the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 5:9-13 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

And there you have it. It's better to company with all the fornicators and sickos of the world, who don't name the name of Christ, than wishy-washy professing Christians who dishonor God. I guess that's one of those "hot or cold" -type things. CCM seems to walk the fence of Christianity and worldliness.

So which one of these is Bill Gaither ? fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, effeminate, abusers of themselves with mankind, thieves, covetous, drunkards, revilers, extortioners, :?

Actually, those verses were posted to show what God said about separating from professing believers who are walking in deliberate, unrepentant sin.

And because those are commands (ie. to separate in various situations), then the Gaithers are walking disorderly, not walking according to the Word of God - they are in rebellion to God in those aspects:

2 Thessalonians 3:6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

That is why I would separate from the Gaithers, and those they yoke up with.

I didn't realize that Bill Gaither had gone that route. (I haven't kept up with Southern Gospel for about 15 years) I saw the thread on this yesterday and did a search on the names mentioned. I posted his response to get another side of the story.

BobbyW

Nothing wrong with wanting to know. Sometimes there are things I wish I didn't know, but at least with the knowledge I can act appropriately and in accordance with the Word of God.

Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Everytime I think about the Gaithers, I can't help but think about the guy that sings with them who has really long hair...i mean the Bible says that it is a shame for a man to have long hair, so that guy, if he was living according to God's Word, would be ashamed of himself (and consequently not have long hair), yet he isn't ashamed, but has had this long womanly hairstyle for years....yukkkk. I don't waste my time listening to any singing group that can't even obey things God says just come naturally. I mean, it is a shame for any man, not just Christians, God says "man", so this guy obviously has a problem, and as far as i am concerned he's not even a normal guy. forgive me for taking up so much space, but i'm just so tired of these CCM artists, and how even some 'bible believing Christians' yoke up with every one that comes along!

You said it - people just don't want to obey the Bible. 1 Corinthians 11, about male and female hair lengths, is one of the clearest passages in the Bible - even in the modern versions - so there is no excuse but their rebellion (which is what the passage teaches anyway) - it is a shame and a rebellion against authority when mankind goes against God's created order.