• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bakershalfdozen

Sweet Cornbread

PE, what is your wife's recipe? :mrgreen: (I have leftover cornmeal that need to be used up too)

Be happy to get that for you. Right now I have to run off and do a few errands b4 the businesses close. :mrgreen:

I really like the recipe on the back of the Quaker Cornmeal box. We always made that growing up and it is really good.

Sometimes we'd just bake a pan and eat it all for breakfast. :lol:

Martha White Country-Style Cornbread

Prep Time: 10 minutes (Ready in 35 minutes)

2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Corn Meal Mix
1 3/4 cups buttermilk*
1/4 cup oil or melted shortening

1 . Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease 9-inch ovenproof skillet or 9-inch square pan; place in oven to heat.**
2 . In large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Pour batter into greased pan.
3 . Bake at 450 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

8 Servings

*sigh*

I know how to read packages and dry, crumbly cornbreads are a dime a dozen. I want a sweet, moist cornbread recipe.

I have done a google search but would prefer a recipe from someone who knows that what they make is good. Again, I generally buy muffin mixes and we like them just fine but I have some cornmeal and would like to use it. Thanks.

Creamed Corn Cornbread Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Cable in the Classroom

2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup creamed corn
2 tablespoons canola oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.

In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.

Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grandmother's Buttermilk (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandmothe ... etail.aspx)
CornbreadSUBMITTED BY: Bethany Weathersby

"This is my grandmother's cornbread recipe and it's the best - sweet and moist!"
Original recipe yield: 9 servings

PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 40 Min
READY IN 55 Min
US METRIC

SERVINGS About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS
1/4 pound butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

*sigh*

I know how to read packages and dry, crumbly cornbreads are a dime a dozen. I want a sweet, moist cornbread recipe.

I have done a google search but would prefer a recipe from someone who knows that what they make is good. Again, I generally buy muffin mixes and we like them just fine but I have some cornmeal and would like to use it. Thanks.

I'm telling you, the one on the Quaker cornmeal pkg is sweet and moist. I could eat a whole pan of it and I'm not a big cornbread person.

*sigh*

Now that is a direct slap in the face! This is the cornbread recipe I have used for many years with great success, and I would not have shared it with you if it wasn't. Stick with your muffin mixes then and stop asking for recipes.

Now that is a direct slap in the face! This is the cornbread recipe I have used for many years with great success, and I would not have shared it with you if it wasn't. Stick with your muffin mixes then and stop asking for recipes.

Whew! Who'd have thought cornbread would start a fight.... :?

Martha White Country-Style Cornbread

Prep Time: 10 minutes (Ready in 35 minutes)

2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Corn Meal Mix
1 3/4 cups buttermilk*
1/4 cup oil or melted shortening

1 . Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease 9-inch ovenproof skillet or 9-inch square pan; place in oven to heat.**
2 . In large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Pour batter into greased pan.
3 . Bake at 450 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

8 Servings

Southern Cooks SWEAR by this recipe! Tennessee Ernie Ford used to be the spokesperson for Martha White and even HE said "It's Pea Pickin' Good!" http://www.marthawhite.com/heritage/ernieford.asp

Would Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs steer you wrong?
http://www.marthawhite.com/HERITAGE/FLATTSCRUGGS.ASP

Now before you just go ahead and ASSUME that this is a terrible recipe - maybe you ought to give it a try. If you want to make truly Southern Cornbread, subsitute bacon grease for the cooking oil - super yummy! My only advice is don't knock it before you try it!

Goes best with Pinto Beans, Fried Taters, Collard Greens, Sliced Maters fresh from the garden, and a Gallon Jug of Sweet Tea!

That is the favorite recipe of southerners like my dh, but I, and I think Jess, prefer recipes with sugar added. :D Nothing bad about your recipe, but its the kind people like my dh likes, not us choosy picky sweet tooth people. :lol:

No slapping going on here. I asked for moist and sweet but your recipe (and I'm sure many southerners like it) doesn't contain any sugar. *shrugs*

Can't help ya here either. I like sweet cornbread but most of my family doesn't. I do make a mean white corn bread (according to my wife and son) but I don't measure anything. The key is a generous amount of oil (or bacon grease) an egg and plenty of Buttermilk. :D

Carn Bread ain't sweet! Making corn bread sweet is as bad as putting honey butter on it. If you want to eat cake eat cake. I was raised in the deep south and most of my family is from North Carolina. I do not ever recall eating sweet corn bread until I went into a chain restaurant here in California. Of course California can mess up anything. My goodness, sweet cornbread? What do you eat it with? ice cream and chocolate sauce. Make it salty and drizzle it with bacon grease!

In Christ,
George

Southern Cooks SWEAR by this recipe! Tennessee Ernie Ford used to be the spokesperson for Martha White and even HE said "It's Pea Pickin' Good!" http://www.marthawhite.com/heritage/ernieford.asp

Would Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs steer you wrong?
http://www.marthawhite.com/HERITAGE/FLATTSCRUGGS.ASP

Now before you just go ahead and ASSUME that this is a terrible recipe - maybe you ought to give it a try. If you want to make truly Southern Cornbread, subsitute bacon grease for the cooking oil - super yummy! My only advice is don't knock it before you try it!

Goes best with Pinto Beans, Fried Taters, Collard Greens, Sliced Maters fresh from the garden, and a Gallon Jug of Sweet Tea!

I have tried Martha Stewart recipes, and it is really good, but any unsweetened cornbread leave a bitter aftertaste for some reasons, and I felt I need to put applesauce to get rid of that bitter aftertaste. Some people drink buttermilk (like my dad) with it but I don't like buttermilk.

Article Categories

About Us

Since 2001, Online Baptist has been an Independent Baptist website, and we exclusively use the King James Version of the Bible. We pride ourselves on a community that uplifts the Lord.

Contact Us

You can contact us using the following link. Contact Us or for questions regarding this website please contact @pastormatt or email James Foley at jfoley@sisqtel.net

Android App

Online Baptist has a custom App for all android users. You can download it from the Google Play store or click the following icon.