• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Church Etiquette

• Members

oh, I forgot my mine gripe about forgotten church etiquette.
While I understand "when you 'got to go', you 'got to go' ", but when you see the same older kids get up and have to go to the restroom several times in one service, I really doubt it is nature calling!!! :loco

I am not talking about a newly potty trained 2 or 3 year old either.

• Members

While I understand where this thread is coming from, it also brings to mind people whom I have seen allow pet peeves turn into a very nasty attitude and bitter words toward those who are perhaps being more disruptive than they should be. In my view this reaction is worse than the original offense which is usually pretty minor. Yes, ideally a christian should try not to be disruptive or a distraction to others which may mean turning off the cell phone, not moving around during the service, etc. but sometimes it is just good that the person is there even though they might not be acting in the most perfect and blamless manner. The fear of other people placing to much emphasis on everyone acting just right and not showing any charity toward those who don't is one of the biggest reasons so many people are uncomfortable in church(the other reason is that the Holy Spirit may start to prick them). A mature believer should have no great difficulty tuning out minor distractions while listening to the message. We do it all the time in many other areas.

• Members
There are teenagers and grown women who sit near the back, talk whisper, giggle, rattle papers, balance their checkbooks, text message and anything else. I'm a firm beleiver in teaching them how to behave when they're little. I learned very young how to stay quiet and still during preaching as I remember my mom PINCHING me once or twice, that's all it took. She never had to take me out during service. All my kids learned to be quiet and sit still in the sanctuary too, without need for a nursery.. I never pinched them, but took them out once or twice. I now have a 20 yearold married, and a 16 and 22 year old at home. Today they are all in church and know how to be quiet and behave during preaching.

I believe the only time a nursery is needed is if a woman needs to do someting like breastfeed her baby or change a diaper. Kids shouldn't stay back there all the time. They can begin training to be quiet and sit still during service, from the time they are very small.

:thumb :amen:

I haven't read through all of the posts so I hope I am not reiterating any subjects. :)

I have a few church etiquettes that I wish the world new.

1) Appropriate dress attire, ie no low cut shirts that show off cleavage, mini skirts, painted on pants etc and 2) if you are sick PLEASE stay home so you don't spread the germs.:)

Oh here is another one.3) Men, if you see a mom with a few children trying to juggle a baby, a bible, a diaper bag and a purse you could offer to help her. That would show Christ to a fellow member of the body.

• Members
Leave the toilet (and floor around it) as clean as if YOU had to clean it!! (Done my share of church janitorial, too).

Had to actually make an announcement one a.m. in church to the young people, "I don't which boy it was, but, that toilet makes for a mighty big hole. If you can't hit it, stand closer!".

Just had to repair the mens toilet at church the this past Thursday. Old flange was gone.

I would have to say I agree with restraining of children a needed discussion. We may have invited someone who needs to hear Christ preached and I don't want to give Satan the pleasure of an easy distraction.

• Members
I haven't read through all of the posts so I hope I am not reiterating any subjects. :)

I have a few church etiquettes that I wish the world new.

1) Appropriate dress attire, ie no low cut shirts that show off cleavage, mini skirts, painted on pants etc and 2) if you are sick PLEASE stay home so you don't spread the germs.:)

Oh here is another one.3) Men, if you see a mom with a few children trying to juggle a baby, a bible, a diaper bag and a purse you could offer to help her. That would show Christ to a fellow member of the body.

:amen:

While I haven't noticed it in our church, when I was looking for our new church home I encountered many women in church wearing very low cut dresses and blouses. In our church last summer a woman attended two different times (each visit separated by several Sunday's) and she wore the same very short mini-skirt both times. I'm very glad she sat away from us. From time to time our pastor will make mention that we should all think about what we plan to wear to church with modesty in mind.

Sickness...how sick is too sick to attend church? I've wondered about this. I certainly agree if a person is really bad sick, and especially if they have something really contagious, they should stay home; but what about lesser sicknesses?

Some men in church today just don't seem to know enough or think enough to offer a lady help. Others, I think, worry that their offer will be taken wrong. Either way, men in the church should be the most gentlemanly men around.

• Members

I've seen both men and woman help out others with their children when it was needed, this can be a big help in many ways, and its great influence on the young ones.

We've got a 24 month old young girl, she is doing absolutely great, now I did not say perfect. But it has took effort. But most preaching services you will never hear a sound out of her.

Years back in a different church one woman had a young son, I'll use this word and I know everyone will know what he was like, tornado. Sad thing about it he was this way where ever he was, and you could tell where he had been for he left the area looking like a tornado had hit. It wasn't his fault, both father and mother let his do as he pleased, and would stand back and say, "Isn't that so cute?" No, he was nothing but a terror, I guarantee you, your house would have been safer with a 2 full grown bulls turned into it than him to visit.

There was 2 men in our church that got to where if they could get him to set with them he would stay under control doing the preaching service, but when they did not have him everyone knew what he was doing during the whole service.

Out of control children just are no the least bit cute, and many children who are this way, if they see a grown up take notice and laugh, it just seems to encourage them and they will get even wilder.